Dai Dai Gone!!

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
SCKSCat

Re: Dai Dai Gone!!

Post by SCKSCat » April 29th, 2024, 5:57 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
April 29th, 2024, 5:46 pm
https://www.fractionllc.com/

This is the website for the company Mr Lieb works for. I would suggest we all take a moment to view this thing. My take - It screams

SHOW ME THE MONEY
Sounds like Mr. Loot has found chasing athletes to be more lucrative than chasing ambulance.
Sounds like the agent got to mom.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 2):
randallcat85WildcatEngineer

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 29th, 2024, 6:13 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
April 29th, 2024, 5:57 pm
WildcatEngineer wrote:

This is the website for the company Mr Lieb works for. I would suggest we all take a moment to view this thing. My take - It screams

SHOW ME THE MONEY
Sounds like Mr. Loot has found chasing athletes to be more lucrative than chasing ambulance.
Sounds like the agent got to mom.
I do think about gullible kids and their parents being talked into something that is not in their best interest. There are a lot of shysters out there who wouldn't think twice about taking advantage of one of these kids in order to make an extra buck.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » April 29th, 2024, 8:00 pm

Here's how this all plays out time and time again over and over with these kids. Kid gets pissed when he gets recruited over (even though they don't realize that EVERY recruiting class including new freshmen is recruiting over them). They start thinking about the portal, so they reach out to a buddy they know from the past that went into the portal. That player hooks them up with a "handler" or in some cases an actual agent. They approach the agent who does a little pro-bono "putting the feelers out" for the kid to gain interest level from other programs plus what kind of NIL deals comes with each interested program. If the interest is really strong, then the agent comes back with some options for the kid/parents to think about. Then the agent presents them with a deal where he can be their agent and get a cut of the NIL deal (who is also likely getting a cut back door from the school). Then the kid pulls the trigger and enters the portal and goes through the process of working through the agent to get the best deal he can get.

Now tell me, is that honestly what NIL was supposed to be along with how the transfer portal was supposed to work? Lol.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan
EMAW

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » April 29th, 2024, 8:27 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:

SHOW ME THE MONEY

OH, it also looks like it was designed by a High School Senior.
Pillars: loyalty :rofl:
To what the almighty $ I guess.

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » April 29th, 2024, 9:43 pm

I think you have laid it out well TBones.
These users thanked the author bigdeal for the post:
Tbonespop

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 29th, 2024, 10:05 pm

I am just trying to envision Mr Lieb, Fraction Inc., walking into Coach Tang's office and shaking him down.

ex·tor·tion
[ikˈstôrSHən, ekˈstôrSHən]
noun
the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats:
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
randallcat85

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » April 30th, 2024, 12:24 am

Why don’t the schools make them sign a 3-4 year contract for x amount of dollars when they sign out of high school? If they want to mimic the NBA they ought to sign contracts like the NBA. And the whole world can see what they’re getting paid.
These users thanked the author Puffdad for the post (total 3):
PurpleWildcatstlcatfanrandallcat85

learnin

Post by learnin » April 30th, 2024, 12:25 am

We’ve seen this before. Dai Dai , his mom and agent are the bad folks here. Dai Dai’s mom was wrong when she said the coaches couldn’t be trusted. End of discussion.
These users thanked the author learnin for the post:
SCKSCat

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 30th, 2024, 5:52 am

learnin wrote:
April 30th, 2024, 12:25 am
We’ve seen this before. Dai Dai , his mom and agent are the bad folks here. Dai Dai’s mom was wrong when she said the coaches couldn’t be trusted. End of discussion.
Head hunting and head hunters.
I found a tweet from an Illin supporter that said the Illi were trying to get Ames to jump to Illinois.
Then in the Fighting Illi website.....
"Ames would be a great piece to the puzzle as well. Right now, Illinois is extremely thin at guard. We have the new addition of Boswell. Illinois has Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn who I have projected as the starting No. 2 guard.. If Ames comes to Champaign, I would likely move Boswell over to the starting No. 2 guard and have Ames start at the No. 1 guard spot. Gibbs-Lawhorn would back up Boswell and Ames."

So it appears to me that the Agent was negotiating with Brad Underwood Inc about Ames coming to Illinois. Now the patty cake charade begins where Ames appears to be considering several schools along with Illinois. For the purpose of covering up a prebaked deal or worse leveraging Illinois for a bigger pay day.

And before we get too righteous about this, I suspect that our program has done this, especially when Tang assembled his first team. This is the ugly side of the transfer portal and agents who want to make money are out headhunting for deals, just like the business world, poaching talent.

So much for the quaint naivete of the bygone era of college sports.

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » April 30th, 2024, 8:04 am

For the record I hated the idea of NIL to begin with you can check any post of mine on it. I personally think scholly and set EQUAL stipend is enough. But figured would have to go way of NIL since everybody wants some. I never thought it would be so in your face blatant flat out fricking pay for play cheating. Holy crap. Talk about ruining it for everybody but the players and agents. Eventually people will have had enough. Basketball won't be hard for me to turn off. College football will be much much more difficult but I missed a great deal of it last year and survived. I can do it if need be. Thanks NCAA and all the greedy F's associated or profiting.
These users thanked the author DeereCatFan for the post:
randallcat85