COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
pulitzerdave

Re: Caleb Grill

Post by pulitzerdave » April 10th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Highway26north wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 11:41 am
opcat7755 wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 11:19 am
Caleb is from KS, grew up a K-State fan, and from the looks of it, has a connection to Savannah Goolsby, who I assume is related to the K-State Goolsby's and it appears she is attending K-State in 2023. I don't think she is Denzel's sister as she isn't listed in his profile.

Both of them are in each other's twitter profile pic, and Savannah re-tweets all of Caleb's news. Maize is a suburb of Wichita, where you guessed it, the Goolsby's are from.

https://twitter.com/caleb_grill0
https://twitter.com/GoolsbySavannah
https://www.instagram.com/sav.goolsby/
https://www.kstatesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6230
OPCAT: you get the investigative journalism award (Dare I say the "Pulitzer"?) for the week! [No offense intended Dave; you are justly proud of that achievement]
No offense taken.

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » April 12th, 2019, 12:39 am

Here is what I know.

If Caleb signs with KSU, some posters will say that he is not a Big12 quality player.

If Caleb does not sign with KSU, the same posters will say that Coach Weber missed on an all-star level player who should have been easy to sign.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » April 12th, 2019, 7:53 am

Sir Ocelot wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 12:39 am
Here is what I know.

If Caleb signs with KSU, some posters will say that he is not a Big12 quality player.

If Caleb does not sign with KSU, the same posters will say that Coach Weber missed on an all-star level player who should have been easy to sign.

In the spirit of the recent basketball awards banquet, I did consider giving you the Madame Cleo Psychic Reader award for your post, but after much thought (well, it was a lot of thinking for me :oops: ), I decided that you really only get the Captain Obvious plaque.

:D

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » April 12th, 2019, 11:21 am

Sir Ocelot wrote:
Here is what I know.

None of this matters imo. The staff offered him a scholarship, he is in our backyard, and appears to be a KSU fan. At this point not landing him is a failure irrespective of posters opinions of his basketball skills. These posts are just preemptive attempts to avoid any criticisms if said player goes somewhere else.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 12th, 2019, 11:22 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 11:21 am
Sir Ocelot wrote:
Here is what I know.

None of this matters imo. The staff offered him a scholarship, he is in our backyard, and appears to be a KSU fan. At this point not landing him is a failure irrespective of posters opinions of his basketball skills. These posts are just preemptive attempts to avoid any criticisms if said player goes somewhere else.
and yours if he signs. :roll:
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Kid In the Hall
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kid In the Hall » April 12th, 2019, 12:43 pm

The reality is that Weber offers/signs a lot of players who don't have other high-major offers. Some of them turn out great (Barry, Kam, etc.) and some don't (plenty to choose from). Since Grill went back on the market, he has other high-major offers, which seems to indicate he's a pretty decent player.

So, not landing him could/should be a disappointment given that he's in our backyard, grew up as a K-State fan, is clearly someone we want, etc.

Wildwilly73

Post by Wildwilly73 » April 12th, 2019, 12:56 pm

So it's in Caleb's court, like I've said before, you as a coach and recruiter can do and offer so much! Anymore and you are KU! If we don't get him it wasn't to be! EMAW

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » April 12th, 2019, 1:02 pm

I guess I just don't ever consider getting or not getting a recruit a "failure" or whatever. If the coaching staff does every single thing they can possibly do to recruit the kid and yet he wants something else, how is that a failure??????? If he goes to ISU because they have no one currently at the 2 or 3 positions and KSU has Diarra, Neal Williams, McGuirl, Gordon, etc, how is it a failure if the kid wants to go to a place where they have fewer talented players and he thinks he can play more???? Or if he goes to UNLV because he obviously had an incredible connection with the SDSU coach and was the reason he committed there over Tech or Nebraska, how is it a failure if he signs with UNLV considering his connection with the coach?????

Maybe it is because I have 125 teenagers walk through my classroom door every single day that I realize that they make decisions based on a lot of different things, some of which don't make any sense at all. Plus, every single kid is different, and what worked to get Dean Wade to sign with Kansas State may actually work against you trying to get Caleb Grill. You put your best foot forward and you present your product, but at the end of the day, if the kid feels it more at a different place, then you move on to the next kid.

But calling it a failure seems a bit dramatic to me.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » April 12th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Have we thought about bringing back the Gibson Girls? Yes, we did this and yes it was always the wrong thing to do.
Win the dang day!

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » April 12th, 2019, 1:24 pm

This is simple. Disappointing if we don't sign him but not a failure. A failure would be not putting in the effort to evaluate him and recruit him.