How Does Your Garden Grow?

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
stlcatfan

Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Post by stlcatfan » April 16th, 2018, 6:02 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:Cool weather veggies are not going to do well this year at least in the Kansas City area.
Same here. We had a few warm days last week, which helped. However, the plants are still way behind, with all of this cold weather. A lot of the stuff I planted on the first weekend in March is just barely out of the ground.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » April 16th, 2018, 8:35 pm

So, here in the Dallas area it was in the 70's and 80's for a week or so. Fought the crowds to get my flowers, veggies and seeds. Prepared the garden, put new soil in the containers and I am set.

Not so fast. Temps following the nice, sunny days were followed by near freezing for a few nights and then a fifteen minute of marble size hail pretty much did all my work and the plants in. Grrrrr.

We have also had three or four days of 30 to 40 mph constant wind.

Double Grrrrrrr.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 16th, 2018, 10:01 pm

RichardZ wrote:So, here in the Dallas area it was in the 70's and 80's for a week or so. Fought the crowds to get my flowers, veggies and seeds. Prepared the garden, put new soil in the containers and I am set.

Not so fast. Temps following the nice, sunny days were followed by near freezing for a few nights and then a fifteen minute of marble size hail pretty much did all my work and the plants in. Grrrrr.

We have also had three or four days of 30 to 40 mph constant wind.

Double Grrrrrrr.
That is SO frustrating. I'm sure it makes you feel like saying the heck with it. Hopefully, your seeded stuff will make it.

That same storm system gave us severe weather, including tornado warnings near St. Louis. We've been getting freezing temps the past couple nights, but so far the plants have tolerated it.

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » April 17th, 2018, 9:04 am

Ain't planted a seed -- except for radishes and lettuce that appear frosted -- because of the cold, windy weather. Today, looks like I might get some of the early veggies planted. Supposed to rain over the weekend, but with our luck, I doubt it happens.

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » April 18th, 2018, 11:13 am

Finally got some garden planted. Going to more raised beds for veggies this year mainly because I'm too old to stoop. ;)

Got 8 raised beds filled with compost/soil mix and planted 2 to peas, one to radishes/spinach, one to onion bulbs. Will plant the remaining four to green beans (3) and carrots (1).

Also, planted one row of spuds in regular garden and 2 rows of early sweet corn.

Hope the wind today out of NW doesn't blow the soil out of the raised beds. ;)

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 18th, 2018, 5:12 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:Finally got some garden planted. Going to more raised beds for veggies this year mainly because I'm too old to stoop. ;)

Got 8 raised beds filled with compost/soil mix and planted 2 to peas, one to radishes/spinach, one to onion bulbs. Will plant the remaining four to green beans (3) and carrots (1).

Also, planted one row of spuds in regular garden and 2 rows of early sweet corn.

Hope the wind today out of NW doesn't blow the soil out of the raised beds. ;)
Yeah, the wind is blowing like crazy here, too.

What variety of sweet corn did you plant? It has been too cool here to plant corn.

My tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant that I started from seed indoors are doing well. I would like to get them transplanted outside in about a month or so.

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » April 19th, 2018, 8:54 am

I planted Early Golden Bantam sweet corn. The soil was too cold, but I said, "What the heck?" and planted anyway. It's not like I don't have the garden space for a screwup.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 19th, 2018, 5:15 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:I planted Early Golden Bantam sweet corn. The soil was too cold, but I said, "What the heck?" and planted anyway. It's not like I don't have the garden space for a screwup.
A nice problem to have. :)

Thanks.

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » April 22nd, 2018, 10:12 am

Finally got .8-inch of rain on my gardens. Very welcome indeed. Now, just need a few days of sun and voila -- a growing garden!

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 23rd, 2018, 4:52 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:Finally got .8-inch of rain on my gardens. Very welcome indeed. Now, just need a few days of sun and voila -- a growing garden!
It's amazing what a little rain followed by sunshine can do for a garden.

Glad you got some rain. I know it has been really dry there.