Let's discuss tattoos

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
Orion12521

Re: Let's discuss tattoos

Post by Orion12521 » February 23rd, 2023, 4:52 pm

Some people get them to document foundational moments in their lives, others because they like the aesthetics and others to draw attention to themselves... There are probably as many reasons for getting a tattoo as there are people with them. As with many things, I believe there are those that do push the extremes to draw attention to themselves, regardless of whether it is positive or negative attention. Today, as long as you don't have tattoos on your face, neck or hands I don't think you would be significantly affected in your career. Maybe those will be equally accepted sometime in the future, but tattoos in those locations do seem to carry a stigma, likely because they are pretty far outside of social norms.

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » February 23rd, 2023, 5:38 pm

Go take a walk down State Street at the U. of Wisconsin if you want to see tats wayyyyyyyyyyyy outside social norms.

Gave me the heebie jeebies.

NatCat2

Post by NatCat2 » February 28th, 2023, 6:38 pm

I’m not a fad follower and I think that’s what happened with tats about 20 - 25 years ago. But it continues today.
When you are young you don’t realize that getting a dragon tat on the side of your face will have a negative impact on your future employment, it just seems cool.
I read somewhere that if you really want a tattoo, have it put on a T-Shirt and then wear it every day for a month. If you still like it, then get it done.

ToledoCat#3

Post by ToledoCat#3 » March 1st, 2023, 1:31 pm

Good advice, Nat Cat.

I went into The Dusty Bookshelf recently and was put off by a pleasant young lady with three nose rings and a big "ivy" tat on one of her arms that stood out like a diamond in a goat's butt. That just didn't ring true for a bibliophile.

But, I'm so old fashioned I still think "girly-boy" when I see grown men with ear rings. ;)

Snyder

Post by Snyder » March 6th, 2023, 10:55 pm

I'm 57, have two children who both have ink. One boy and one girl. Both outstanding kids with absolutely beautiful souls. I honestly don't give it a second thought if I see someone with ink or multiple piercings. As much as I loved Bill Snyder I was always uncomfortable with the no earring policy, felt it may have given fuel to the opponents who recruited against us. What I'm saying is the tats and earrings are not deal breakers for me, If you're a good person who does right by others, that's what's important.

ToledoCat#3

Post by ToledoCat#3 » March 7th, 2023, 4:33 pm

I agree that tats and piercings do not define a person. However, to me they add nothing to a person's appearance or performance.

I've a grandson with a favorite quote on his underarm and several g-daughters with tiny Christian tats. So be it. I love 'em all the same. ;)
These users thanked the author ToledoCat#3 for the post:
Snyder

kstueve

Post by kstueve » March 19th, 2023, 9:36 pm

Snyder wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 10:55 pm
I'm 57, have two children who both have ink. One boy and one girl. Both outstanding kids with absolutely beautiful souls. I honestly don't give it a second thought if I see someone with ink or multiple piercings. As much as I loved Bill Snyder I was always uncomfortable with the no earring policy, felt it may have given fuel to the opponents who recruited against us. What I'm saying is the tats and earrings are not deal breakers for me, If you're a good person who does right by others, that's what's important.
I'm 60 with 6 tattoos. But no earrings. Saw a 1st Sgt pull one out through the bottom of a Lance Corporal's earlobe in formation one morning
These users thanked the author kstueve for the post:
Snyder

Wyocat

Post by Wyocat » March 30th, 2023, 10:20 pm

No issue with tats as long as they are not overdone. Piercings freak me out a bit.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » March 31st, 2023, 10:13 am

What I find interesting is that all of thes people who "express" themselves or fully suppport hundreds of piercings, tattoos, trans/gay sexual groups in schools, etc.... are the same hypocrites that support shutting down free speech on twitter. "Look at me" and screw you is message I receive.
These users thanked the author wild@nite for the post:
stlcatfan