K-State vs Colorado

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
greycat68

Re: K-State vs Colorado

Post by greycat68 » March 26th, 2024, 12:59 pm

As I have stated before we will never win championships or make deep runs with Mittie as coach.
These users thanked the author greycat68 for the post:
Cats1124

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » March 26th, 2024, 2:28 pm

That is your opinion, grey, but not a fact. You could be right or you could be wrong. The future is always unseen and never certain.
These users thanked the author ToledoCat#3 for the post:
tmcats

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 26th, 2024, 2:34 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 2:28 pm
That is your opinion, grey, but not a fact. You could be right or you could be wrong. The future is always unseen and never certain.
the fact he wrote it is true, thus a fact in and of itself. but what he wrote is subject to debate and in fact just an opinion, conjecture, bloviation - thus not a truth nor a fact at all. ;-)
Why is there something rather than nothing?

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » March 26th, 2024, 3:19 pm

You are correct. It is just my opinion based on what I have seen for the last 10 years.

purpleprairiecat
Location: Spokane, WA but lived in Manhattan, KS for many years.

Post by purpleprairiecat » March 26th, 2024, 3:25 pm

Wyldkatz wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 8:02 pm
purpleprairiecat wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:53 pm

I don't understand the reasons for the Mittie hate on this board. As for player development, you must be forgetting about Lee and Sundell to name just two.
Sundell is averaging 1 more point a game than she did as a freshman. Lee 16 ppg as a freshman and 19 ppg this year. Do you consider getting a total of 4 more points per game out of your leading scorers over their careers good development?
We obviously differ greatly on opinions about the extent of player development by Mittie's coaching staff. To me your argument does not hold water, and it certainly is not correct based on the development of Lee and Sundell. Lee was only a 3-star prospect out of high school with a 38 position rank (https://www.espn.com/high-school/girls- ... /id/211567). Under Mittie's direction, she was an All American player having recently picked up her second All-America honor. You are leaving out her production in her 2nd and 3rd years when she averaged 19 and 22 points per game, respectively. Who could forget her 61 point production against OU during the 2021-22 season? This is still the NCAA Division 1 single-game scoring record (https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/23/a ... %20blowout). Certainly, her overall production in terms of average number of points per season has been limited somewhat by injuries. I would not attribute that to lack of player development at all. Personally, I think she has exhibited tremendous player development during her time at K-State. For example, her turn around jump shot, ability to catch the ball without putting it on the floor, and shot quickness have all greatly improved since her 1st year at K-State.

Sundell was a highly recruited player out of high school with a 4-star rating and an Elite 150 rank (https://prospectsnation.com/player/serena-sundell). I think Mittie and his staff should get some credit for recruiting her. She has averaged 10.6, 13.9, and 12.1 points per game for her 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years, respectively (https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... na-sundell). She was first All-Big 12 this year and received honorable mentions her first two years here. I will agree that her point productivity may be limited by her role on the team as a point guard. However, these are remarkable achievements that indicate good player development to me. I think she is the best point guard in the Big 12. Harmon from Texas may have better athletic ability at the point guard position, but she has been injured most of the year. Incidentally, Harmon averaged only 11.4 and 11.2 points per game for her 1st and 2nd years, respectively (https://texassports.com/sports/womens-b ... rmon/12614)

I think you have an axe to grind for some reason about Coach Mittie and his staff. I will admit that I was underwhelmed when Mittie was named coach at K-State. I was never that impressed with his TCU teams, mostly because they almost exclusively played zone defense. I think he has done an outstanding job as coach at K-State. His recent teams at K-State have played mostly a solid MFM defense. Like any coach, Mittie has has strong and weak points. Perhaps, we could have a discussion about that, but I doubt if the strong and weak points you come up with would be the same as mine.
Last edited by purpleprairiecat on March 27th, 2024, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ksuwbbfan

Post by ksuwbbfan » March 26th, 2024, 4:12 pm

greycat68 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 3:19 pm
You are correct. It is just my opinion based on what I have seen for the last 10 years.
I agree. I think there are fans that are just ok with getting a 20 win season and there are others that want to see this program be a constant competitor. I mean we haven't even made it to the Big XII tournament final! ISU on a down year made it to the final game. I don't get how you all are ok with that. I guess it's the everyone gets a participation trophy mindset.

I, like grey, don't see that changing with Mittie based on his entire coaching career but I hope I'm wrong. Opinions are like....well you know the saying.

Cats1124

Post by Cats1124 » March 27th, 2024, 12:46 am

He needs to go. This was the year to make his mark. I've spoken to a previous players mother and he cuts them down so much, verbally and mentally.

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » March 27th, 2024, 9:32 am

The only axe I have to grind is that he is a mediocre coach and we can do better. KState is a good job and the fans have proven they will support womens basketball when we are competitive. Everyone in this state knows he is mediocre at best. If you take the purple glasses off you could see it too. There is a reason why the top players in this state go to Iowa St., OKlahoma, etc.

He said it himself that this was the best ream he's ever had. So, he took the best team he's ever had to a quick 2nd round exit in the tournament?

We've been close to having a top caliber team many times.
In the early 2000s we were missing a true point guard who was a threat to score. Late 2000s we had all the pieces but a true center. This season we had a lot of pieces, but a below avg. coach. He isn't going anywhere, because Gene Taylor is fine with having mediocre women's basketball. But, 2nd round exit in the tourney is about the ceiling for this University as long as Mittie is at the helm.
These users thanked the author Wyldkatz for the post:
ksuwbbfan

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » March 27th, 2024, 10:23 am

Well said Wildkatz. I fully agree. It is too bad, because the loyal fan base deserves better.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 27th, 2024, 10:54 am

always the purple colored glasses. i've been a wbb fan since wecker's team. they were more talented than this year's mittie crew. two of k-state's three leading all-time scorers, two all-americans - wecker and ohlde - plus a long time pro, megan mahoney.

mittie recruited this 2023/24 outfit. he molded them into a team that got as high as #2 in the nation. then injuries hit, both gabby and yoki. yet the team was still more than competitive and won most of their games without lee. she came back but clearly not in the same form as before the injury. yet, state hosted the ncaa first round and won their first game. 26 wins overall. not good enough though but for purple colored glasses.

mittie is a solid d1 wbb coach. he's won 64% of his games. 644 wins. he's been in post season play every year here sans one. kamie ethridge who coaches wazzu has won 57% of hers. deb patterson 61%. and, he recruits quality young women who also excel in the classroom.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
Catalumpurpleprairiecat
Why is there something rather than nothing?