#15 cats host isu wed, 6:30, espn+ ...

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
wazucat

Re: #15 cats host isu wed, 6:30, espn+ ...

Post by wazucat » February 29th, 2024, 11:37 am

Officiating in all sports is atrocious , stop using it as an excuse. Some people on here sound like ISU fans that whine about EVERYTHING regarding officiating . Play better basketball and coach better basketball. Mittie is no better or worse than he was 5 years ago, he is a mediocre average guy but we sure don't have to worry about some other school poaching him LOL. Like our baseball coach Mittie is just drawing a paycheck.

Catalum

Post by Catalum » February 29th, 2024, 11:40 am

katlander wrote:
February 29th, 2024, 9:33 am
My God, did you see the video of Crooks attacking Sanchez. Elbow to the face and then just bowl her over and Sanchez gets the foul. One of the worst calls ever. I thought it was bad from the student section but a close up from the opposing angle shows the absurdity of the call. I was unable to post the video here. It is bad! Flagrant 1 or 2 bad! Would have been her 4th foul. Their coach saw it and got her out of the game immediately.
Blatant flagrant foul there....very obvious. This was a real turning point in the game, despite all the defensive breakdowns.

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 29th, 2024, 11:41 am

wazucat wrote:
February 29th, 2024, 11:37 am
Officiating in all sports is atrocious , stop using it as an excuse. Some people on here sound like ISU fans that whine about EVERYTHING regarding officiating . Play better basketball and coach better basketball. Mittie is no better or worse than he was 5 years ago, he is a mediocre average guy but we sure don't have to worry about some other school poaching him LOL. Like our baseball coach Mittie is just drawing a paycheck.
i always chuckle at observations like this. we didn't see such thoughtfulness when the cats were ranked #2 in the nation.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

wazucat

Post by wazucat » February 29th, 2024, 11:42 am

tmcats wrote:
February 29th, 2024, 11:41 am
wazucat wrote:
February 29th, 2024, 11:37 am
i always chuckle at observations like this. we didn't see such thoughtfulness when the cats were ranked #2 in the nation.
So you are all in on Mittie I take it?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 29th, 2024, 11:46 am

wazucat wrote:
February 29th, 2024, 11:42 am
tmcats wrote:
February 29th, 2024, 11:41 am

So you are all in on Mittie I take it?
he's the same coach who took them to #2 in the land. it's injuries killing this team, not coaching.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
Catalumkatlander
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Catalum

Post by Catalum » February 29th, 2024, 11:48 am

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
February 28th, 2024, 11:21 pm
If someone had told most of our WBB fans before the season started that the team would win 23 games before the season was over, knock off the #2 team in the nation as visitor, with Yoki being hurt a third of the season, most fans would have eagerly accepted it.

Who is the coach? Jeff Mittie. I think he got out-coached tonight, but he deserves some credit for getting the team to where it is -- with plenty to still play for.

The team will have a hell of a nucleus coming back next year, unless the portal hurts it.
Agree 100%. Yes, Mittie may have been outcoached last night, but I would like to hear from the naysayers in this forum about how Iowa would perform without CC, or Stanford without Cameron Brink, or VaTech without Kitley, or South Carolina without Cardosa. Considering that our women have been without Yoki for a season and a half, I'd say Mittie's done pretty well. This team was rolling right along before Yoki's injury earlier this season. It really disrupted their momentum.

Catalum

Post by Catalum » February 29th, 2024, 11:53 am

tmcats wrote:
February 29th, 2024, 11:35 am
well, what's to say in this morning's afterthoughts?

1. isu played way better than k-state last night - scheme doctor fennelly came to town;
2. yokie's a shell of her former self - i hope she rests the legs until tournament time;
3. k-state's defense never adjusted to their high ball screen - last night nor earlier in lawrence;
4. it's irritating to watch kansas girls defeat k-state - brown and ryan combined for 33 points and 18 boards; - traitors
5. ames just shot it better - 50% to 40%;
6. fennelly gave long embraces to gabby and yokie at game's end - all class;
7. senior night recognition was post game - wrong time in my view, should be pregame;
8. crowd was okay - i'd guess something short of five thousand - but bram brat was good;
9. serena had her usual strong outing - 15 points and 10 assists;
10. yokie said afterwards that there's a lot of basketball left - not here - and i'm not so sure if she doesn't get healthier.

https://www.cjonline.com/gcdn/authoring ... &auto=webp

purpleprairiecat
Location: Spokane, WA but lived in Manhattan, KS for many years.

Post by purpleprairiecat » February 29th, 2024, 12:11 pm

ksuwbbfan wrote:
February 29th, 2024, 11:05 am
And Oklahoma wins the conference. I look at us and believe we have players with similar ability, actually in some cases better. A better post player, but they play with a level of freedom and confidence that we do not have and I believe the difference is in the coaches. No way their players are better than ours, their coach is better than ours.
You make some good points about the ability of the players, but I don't agree about the coaching. I think there are two primary reasons why the Cats faded at the end. The first is the injuries, which include some that are obvious and others that are not. Certainly, Lee's injuries are obvious. I would say she had no more than 70% of her mobility in the game yesterday. Gregory has a shoulder injury that affects her shooting and probably her rebounding too. There have been other injuries, including multiple nagging ankle injuries to Sundell. I don't think she has been 100% for the last 6 games or so. Fans will never know how much these injuries have affected practice and game performance.

The second reason is we are not getting the officiating breaks that usually go to the leading teams in the conference. This is one aspect of the game that is not Mittie's strength. He doesn't work the refs as much as some other coaches in the Big 12.

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » February 29th, 2024, 12:20 pm

Finally some one mentions the senior night ceremony! ABSOLUTELY should be Pre-game. It used to be that way and I'm not sure why they switched. I think just the pure emotion of it all would've given the team a lift going into the game. Not to mention, When you lose the game the whole thing afterwards loses its aura.

We lost ONE home game all season and it was Senior Night. Lost the chance of hosting NCAA games. Both those things make this loss sting a lot more than others.

I'll stay away from the Mittie conversation. Most here know how I feel about that. I thought he's done some things to look brilliant this season (zoning I believe it was Baylor) changed that game.
At other times I'm left scratching my head. 50 second half points from ISU last night and he didn't attempt to change the defensive scheme. ISU is a good 3 pt. shooting team so I'm sure he was cautious about zoning, but at some point you gotta give it a chance for a few possessions. Our man D was providing little resistance. We didn't have a lot to lose by giving them a different look. We never made them uncomfortable in the 2nd half.

ksuwbbfan

Post by ksuwbbfan » February 29th, 2024, 12:38 pm

I'm sorry, I can't with the excuses. Teams lose their best players and are able to keep improving. Look at Texas. We, in my eyes, are not improving. We are regressing. I love Gabby but if she is that hurt, rest her so she can heal and get someone else in there. This absolutely has something to do with coaching. Poor performance lands on the coach regardless of the reasons why.

Also, I bet there isn't one coach out there that thinks they get the right side of the officiating. That is also an excuse that needs to stop.