#10 cats @ ku, sunday, 1pm, espn2 ...

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Re: #10 cats @ ku, sunday, 1pm, espn2 ...

Post by ToledoCat#3 » February 25th, 2024, 4:08 pm

I can believe how quickly our so-called fans can turn on this team and point out nit-picking flaws. What I saw was two pretty evenly matched teams who both played hard. The squawks might have gotten a few homer calls from the refs, but basically a pretty well officiated game.

Holy smokes, folks, this team has represented KSU well all season. The players deserve our unwavering support, not our nit-picking criticisms.

OK. I'll quit my rant now. EMAW!
These users thanked the author ToledoCat#3 for the post (total 2):
AlabamaLanepurpledolphincat

ksuwbbfan

Post by ksuwbbfan » February 25th, 2024, 4:12 pm

The issue here is these are not two, evenly matched teams. We are ranked 10 in the country and they may not even make the NCAA tournament. This is a game we should not have lost. Embarrassing really and will probably come back to bite us. This right here is why I didn’t jump on the Jeff Mittie is an awesome coach train. I wanted to see how it all played out. It will be interesting to see how/where we end up.

To me it looks like they are playing not to lose instead of playing to win.
These users thanked the author ksuwbbfan for the post:
bhoovy

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » February 25th, 2024, 4:26 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
February 25th, 2024, 4:08 pm
I can believe how quickly our so-called fans can turn on this team and point out nit-picking flaws. What I saw was two pretty evenly matched teams who both played hard. The squawks might have gotten a few homer calls from the refs, but basically a pretty well officiated game.

Holy smokes, folks, this team has represented KSU well all season. The players deserve our unwavering support, not our nit-picking criticisms.

OK. I'll quit my rant now. EMAW!
I think saying people turning on a team is an exaggeration. There are some letting the emotions of a loss get the better of them for the moment. But a lot of it is just fair criticism of a team that didn’t play up to their ability and potential. Not everything is rainbows and butterflies and it’s not kids rec ball.

But if we’re evenly matched then that’s a big problem. Because the home team may very well not make the big dance and wouldn’t have gone to Iowa and won a game. Or beat decent UNC on the road. And they were boat raced at Texas while we narrowly lost without our best player. So if we pretty equal now then that’s very troubling.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
GoCats

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » February 25th, 2024, 5:20 pm

The bottom line is, we aren't playing nearly as well as we were at the beginning of the season. Weve hung on playing average for a couple games now, but it caught up to us today. It's crunch time now and we are not clicking on all cylinders to say the least. It's more than just offensively, I thought our defense was really good to start the season. But even that has disappeared. No way this team ive seen the last couple of weeks beats OU, UT, Iowa, N. Carolina. If we find that team again, we could make a special run in March. But today's team probably gets bounced first round. Gotta find that intensity again!

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » February 25th, 2024, 5:24 pm

Maybe it's injuries or fatigue or lack of want to, I don't know. It's very troubling to say the least. I think our underclassmen Sides, Sanchez, Maupin played with more desire today than a lot of our veterans.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 25th, 2024, 5:57 pm

afterthoughts ...

1. brutal loss on so many levels - rival, league championship, ncaa home, confidence, on and on;
2. got 2 points total from zy, gabby, jaylen - that's not a winning script;
3. no adjustment to their high ball screen - puzzling;
4. sides should have been in there far more than she was - 18 minutes - played with great confidence;
5. missed bunnies all afternoon - yes, i know we're cats but just the same;
6. typical wbb officiating - we think the men are bad - women's are hopeless;
7. reminds me of football's loss at oSu - unimaginable given the talent and play to this point in time;
8. our gals do look mentally tired - the season is wearing on them, plus injuries to yokie - just 14 against a nothing burger when jackson out;
9. i thought mittie might go zone given state couldn't guard their shadow in man - nope;
10. iowa state looming - an absolute must win to have a chance of hosting ncaa opener.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

purpleprairiecat
Location: Spokane, WA but lived in Manhattan, KS for many years.

Post by purpleprairiecat » February 25th, 2024, 6:33 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 25th, 2024, 5:57 pm
afterthoughts ...

1. brutal loss on so many levels - rival, league championship, ncaa home, confidence, on and on;
2. got 2 points total from zy, gabby, jaylen - that's not a winning script;
3. no adjustment to their high ball screen - puzzling;
4. sides should have been in there far more than she was - 18 minutes - played with great confidence;
5. missed bunnies all afternoon - yes, i know we're cats but just the same;
6. typical wbb officiating - we think the men are bad - women's are hopeless;
7. reminds me of football's loss at oSu - unimaginable given the talent and play to this point in time;
8. our gals do look mentally tired - the season is wearing on them, plus injuries to yokie - just 14 against a nothing burger when jackson out;
9. i thought mittie might go zone given state couldn't guard their shadow in man - nope;
10. iowa state looming - an absolute must win to have a chance of hosting ncaa opener.
Good observations. I thought we should have played zone too - or at least tried it. I guess Mittie was concerned that KU would hit 3's against our zone. They were 5 of 11 on 3's. If Sundell hits the free throw she missed, and if Yoki makes her bunnies in the 4th quarter, we win that game. On the other hand, if Yoki shoots free throws each of the times she was fouled on her shot, we win by 15 points. Yoki was 7 for 21 on field goals. She must have been fouled at least 10 times while shooting and shot no free throws!!!!! This was indeed a frustrating loss that very well could have cost us a 4 seed and hosting the first two rounds in Manhattan. What a bummer! Why does the Big 12 put up with such incompetent officiating in women's basketball? The players deserve better than this.

I agree that the K-State players look mentally tired and physically worn out. I hope there is a way to give them a day or two off before the Big 12 Tournament.

Catalum

Post by Catalum » February 25th, 2024, 6:41 pm

That fact that Yoki didn’t get a single free throw is criminal, similar to what Mattie said in postgame. Can’t tell me she was never fouled during those blocks. Other national stars like Clark, Reese, et al get favorable calls.

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.

catalyst

Post by catalyst » February 25th, 2024, 9:07 pm

Catalum wrote:
February 25th, 2024, 6:41 pm
That fact that Yoki didn’t get a single free throw is criminal, similar to what Mattie said in postgame. Can’t tell me she was never fouled during those blocks. Other national stars like Clark, Reese, et al get favorable calls.
I don't want blame this on the refs, but it appeared to me that Ms. Lee was held & chopped a few times. Once she gets back to strength, I think the team will be better than good. Plus - Maupin is getting better game by game.

pipe95

Post by pipe95 » February 26th, 2024, 11:24 am

*This team is floundering, no doubt about that
*Mittie was asked earlier in the year if this was the best team he has had, he said "yes". Be real disappointing to not win the Big 12 or host NCAA
games, may not ever happen then.
*Sides should have played more. She should have played more late in the game. She was balling and if Mittie can't see who has the hot hand, I don't know what to say. Several of the upper classman struggled
*Liked having Sides at the 1 and Sundell at the 2 at times.
*No adjustments for the high screen and roll. KU was draining FT jumpers all game. Reminded me of the BYU game where they kept lobbing it to their big down low and we just kept fronting her with Gabby.
*55 points aint going to win many games. We have lost 4 straight road games and I think I saw 4 straight at KU.....Boooo