#10 cats host #22 wvu wed, 6:30, espn+ ...

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
ksuwbbfan

Re: #10 cats host #22 wvu wed, 6:30, espn+ ...

Post by ksuwbbfan » February 22nd, 2024, 8:43 am

Brylee Glenn was right in the post game conference. She got a Technical because she said something to the ref about Sundell not having room to come down on that three pointer where she got hurt. How do we get homer refs like ISU, we can't seem to catch a break with them.

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » February 22nd, 2024, 10:33 am

bhoovy wrote:
February 22nd, 2024, 12:32 am
Had to watch the replay as I couldn’t watch live. Wow, wow, wow.

Looked pretty gloomy early. 9 turnovers in the first quarter alone. Then all the missed point blank shots, I counted 9. Then the missed FT’s. It just wasn’t looking like it would be the Cats night. And then the late banked 3 by wvu and with 4.2 seconds left I was screaming FOUL, as we had one to give but instead let her go the length to send it to OT.

But the Cats never let up. We don’t win that game though if Lee doesn’t play, which was some of the speculation this afternoon. And Sides played some big minutes when Serena went down. Hit a huge 3.

But can’t celebrate too long. They need to run the table to win a share of the conference title. Big game with ku Sunday. Before the lost to Baylor they had won 6 out of 7, 5 in a row with a win over ISU and a close loss to ou. Won’t be an easy game. And then turn around and play ISU at home.

Hopefully everyone will be healthy the rest the way.
I too was yelling for them to foul! Also, twice now (ISU and WV) we've inbounded the ball to Lee when the other team needs to foul to win. She is a great shooter for a Center, but we have better options. Twice she's gone 1 for 2 at the line and we've gone to OT. I'm sending Jaelyn or Serena to the line in those situations. Fortunately, we still pulled this one out.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 22nd, 2024, 11:52 am

after watching in the gym, not reading this thread, here are the morning afterthoughts ...

1. have not seen replay but seemed to me serena was fouled after that trey on the other side of the court?
2. shooter has to be able to come straight down;
3. but bitching about officials is as worthwhile as spitting in the wind - wbb are particularly awful;
4. no one can totally appreciate yokie's contributions (34 and 12) until seen in the gym - her presence is remarkable on so many levels;
5. she reminds me most of cooper beebe: decency, leader, student, road-grader, footwork, all-american;
6. the glenns were solid all night - calming influence with their experience as was gabby with her 8 assists;
7. sides played some meaningful minutes and that trey was timely - was sanchez sick? - (edit: hurt in practice, finger dislocated);
8. wvu's guards were cat-quick with quinerly being "best on floor" last night - 23 cat turnovers (wvu's average - wow!);
9. crowd was loud but disappointingly small (4266) for a top 20 matchup;
10. mittie went at their press like knight would have - attacked it and in the end won the game - excellent coaching.

Last edited by tmcats on February 22nd, 2024, 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » February 22nd, 2024, 12:09 pm

Everyone will talk about Yokie’s points and rebounds, but her defense won the game. Down the stretch she altered 3 point blank shots, causing them to miss,then grabbed the rebound. She is every bit as much a force on defense as she is offensively. I urge everyone to buy tickets to next Wednesday’s game. It may be your last chance to see one of the greatest players in KSU history. I have no idea if she will return next year, but if not, she deserves to go out in front of a giant crowd.
These users thanked the author greycat68 for the post (total 4):
tmcatspurpleprairiecatkatlanderstlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 22nd, 2024, 1:00 pm

greycat68 wrote:
February 22nd, 2024, 12:09 pm
Everyone will talk about Yokie’s points and rebounds, but her defense won the game. Down the stretch she altered 3 point blank shots, causing them to miss,then grabbed the rebound. She is every bit as much a force on defense as she is offensively. I urge everyone to buy tickets to next Wednesday’s game. It may be your last chance to see one of the greatest players in KSU history. I have no idea if she will return next year, but if not, she deserves to go out in front of a giant crowd.
texas' coach talks about yokie being k-state's rescue blanket on the defensive end. that's what i mean by people not appreciating her game presence until they see her in person on the court. she was +23 on the not-play-hard-chart. :shock:

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » February 22nd, 2024, 1:03 pm

If there is a women's BB player in the country with better hands than Yoka, I don't know about it.

What would Tang give to have players with Yoki's soft hands?
These users thanked the author ToledoCat#3 for the post (total 3):
tmcatskatlanderstlcatfan

purpleprairiecat
Location: Spokane, WA but lived in Manhattan, KS for many years.

Post by purpleprairiecat » February 22nd, 2024, 1:08 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
February 22nd, 2024, 1:03 pm
If there is a women's BB player in the country with better hands than Yoka, I don't know about it.

:agree: However, she missed about three passes that were slightly off last night. When she is healthy, she catches those balls. This was not because of her hands. She is still having some issues moving her feet to get in the right position to receive the ball.
These users thanked the author purpleprairiecat for the post:
stlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 22nd, 2024, 1:15 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
February 22nd, 2024, 1:03 pm

it's why mittie inbounds to her in critical moments. trust.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
stlcatfan

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 22nd, 2024, 4:40 pm

Yokie owns the paint on both ends. She was Cat quick on some of her defensive plays late in the game. She blocked one shot and ran it down before it went out of bounds by the WVU bench. Don't see that very often. Impressive. Her agility and accuracy on offense aren't where they were 2 years ago but she will get there. She is the difference between top 25 and top 5.

WVU diminutive guards, #11 & #10, were excellent. Some other very good and athletic Mountaineers as well. Fortunately, they were not great in the post. However, the other girls were in there stealing passes, batting the ball, and blocking shots all night. Somehow they also pressured the 3s and gave us very few open looks. Very impressive. Fortunately, they had no answer to the pass over the top to Yokie. She is just to tall and strong.

I thought that this was one of the more entertaining games of the year.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post:
stlcatfan

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 22nd, 2024, 5:27 pm

Wyldkatz wrote:
February 22nd, 2024, 10:33 am
bhoovy wrote:
February 22nd, 2024, 12:32 am
Had to watch the replay as I couldn’t watch live. Wow, wow, wow.

Looked pretty gloomy early. 9 turnovers in the first quarter alone. Then all the missed point blank shots, I counted 9. Then the missed FT’s. It just wasn’t looking like it would be the Cats night. And then the late banked 3 by wvu and with 4.2 seconds left I was screaming FOUL, as we had one to give but instead let her go the length to send it to OT.

But the Cats never let up. We don’t win that game though if Lee doesn’t play, which was some of the speculation this afternoon. And Sides played some big minutes when Serena went down. Hit a huge 3.

But can’t celebrate too long. They need to run the table to win a share of the conference title. Big game with ku Sunday. Before the lost to Baylor they had won 6 out of 7, 5 in a row with a win over ISU and a close loss to ou. Won’t be an easy game. And then turn around and play ISU at home.

Hopefully everyone will be healthy the rest the way.

I too was yelling for them to foul! Also, twice now (ISU and WV) we've inbounded the ball to Lee when the other team needs to foul to win. She is a great shooter for a Center, but we have better options. Twice she's gone 1 for 2 at the line and we've gone to OT. I'm sending Jaelyn or Serena to the line in those situations. Fortunately, we still pulled this one out.

Actually Yokie is not bad at the line for this team. This is one of the poorer free throw shooting women's teams I can remember. Part of that is point guards usually shoot FT well but Serena is our 2nd worst in that area. Sides and Walker are the team leaders and the only ones at over 80%.

Sides..82.4 Walker..80.6 Harris..75.0 B. Glenn..74.2 Lester..73.7 Sanchez..73.1 Lee..72.4 Greer..71.4 Gregory..69.7 J. Glenn..64.3 Sundell..62.7 Maupin..52.5
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 2):
tmcatsstlcatfan