#7 cats @ isu, wed, 6:30, espn+ ...

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: #7 cats @ isu, wed, 6:30, espn+ ...

Post by tmcats » February 15th, 2024, 12:51 pm

Wyldkatz wrote:
February 15th, 2024, 12:35 pm
Definitely agree on the ISU commentators. At least do a little homework before coming on air. The guy was clueless most of the night. We had 2 turnovers in the paint 1 for 3 seconds and 1for an offensive foul and both times he says I guess she stepped out of bounds. Called the game tied when we were down 2. And never knew who had the possession arrow or the team foul count. Amoung a handful of others.

I did learn that Ryan is from Chaflin KS and Serena sometimes goes by Sierra.
yeah, and how about those upcoming one and one free throw attempts. :rofl:
Why is there something rather than nothing?

purpleprairiecat
Location: Spokane, WA but lived in Manhattan, KS for many years.

Post by purpleprairiecat » February 15th, 2024, 1:15 pm

Wyldkatz wrote:
Definitely agree on the ISU commentators. At least do a little homework before coming on air. The guy was clueless most of the night. We had 2 turnovers in the paint 1 for 3 seconds and 1for an offensive foul and both times he says I guess she stepped out of bounds. Called the game tied when we were down 2. And never knew who had the possession arrow or the team foul count. Amoung a handful of others.

They were some of the worst and most biased announcers I have had the misfortune to listen too. Honestly, college students with no previous experience serving as a basketball commentator could have done better. Perhaps, they were college students?

powercat95

Post by powercat95 » February 15th, 2024, 1:53 pm

purpleprairiecat wrote:
February 15th, 2024, 1:15 pm
Wyldkatz wrote:

They were some of the worst and most biased announcers I have had the misfortune to listen too. Honestly, college students with no previous experience serving as a basketball commentator could have done better. Perhaps, they were college students?
I just caught the 4th quarter and overtimes, but yeah, I assumed they were Iowa State journalism students who had no idea what they were doing.

Also, I don't understand, at all, the strategy of taking 2-point shots when you are down 3 in waning seconds. Take the three, at least that gives you a chance to tie. Iowa State players must have been barely able to stifle their laughter at our players taking twos instead of taking a three.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 15th, 2024, 2:03 pm

actually, the male broadcaster, larry morgan, looked to be in his late-60s and from what i've learned is local radio personality and voice of the drake bulldogs. as for k-state shooting twos, i'm sure mittie was hoping isu would miss one of their free throws. they didn't.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... /78667538/

Cats1124

Post by Cats1124 » February 15th, 2024, 2:52 pm

Well I missed the first half and sounds like that was the half to miss. But where I think credit needs to go is to Jaelyn Glenn on her great defense on Emily Ryan! She seems to be very familiar with Emily's style and anticipated everything fairly well. Hard one to lose, but it's hard to win in Hilton, good or bad refs...

Catalum

Post by Catalum » February 15th, 2024, 3:28 pm

Wyldkatz wrote:

Never listened to the TV crew......muted the TV and streamed Brian Smoller over my sound system :thumbsup:

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.

Catalum

Post by Catalum » February 15th, 2024, 3:35 pm

Found out one thing for certain last night, Crooks, their "Big" (that name has more than one meaning) is a big baby. During one of the Clones' possessions, Lee blocked Crooks twice, so she proceeded to flop onto the floor and have a brief tantrum like a 3-year old.

Ryan is a hot-head....provoked Sides during a few occasions. Glad we have Sundell instead.

My disdain for all things ISU continues to grow.

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » February 15th, 2024, 3:58 pm

I didn't catch what Iowa town Crooks came from, but did hear it was from the smallest school division in Iowa HS ranks. Just shows, basketball gems can be found anywhere and in all kinds of weights and heights.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 15th, 2024, 4:22 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
February 15th, 2024, 3:58 pm
I didn't catch what Iowa town Crooks came from, but did hear it was from the smallest school division in Iowa HS ranks. Just shows, basketball gems can be found anywhere and in all kinds of weights and heights.
algona bishop garrigan. a small catholic school in nw iowa near sioux city. been around since my days at sioux city bishop heelan. the bears have long known for their athletic prowess.

purpleprairiecat
Location: Spokane, WA but lived in Manhattan, KS for many years.

Post by purpleprairiecat » February 15th, 2024, 5:29 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 15th, 2024, 2:03 pm
actually, the male broadcaster, larry morgan, looked to be in his late-60s and from what i've learned is local radio personality and voice of the drake bulldogs. as for k-state shooting twos, i'm sure mittie was hoping isu would miss one of their free throws. they didn't.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... /78667538/

If so, the guy is incompetent and has no business serving as a commentator for a Big 12 game. He didn't do his homework and had no clue about what was going on in the game. I thought he was also aloof and didn't care if he made mistakes.

In the post-game interview, Mittie talked about K-State taking the two point attempts that ISU gave them. He was disappointed and indicated that he told the team to take a three and to pass the ball out past the three-point line if they were given an opportunity for a two. As I recall, this happened twice. I don't remember who took the first open two, but the second was taken by Sanchez, who is a relatively inexperienced player. Mittie indicated that it was a mistake that he would try to correct if this happens in future games. Personally, I think we should give the players involved some understanding in this.
These users thanked the author purpleprairiecat for the post:
tmcats