Lady Cats win over Horn Frog Ladies

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Lady Cats win over Horn Frog Ladies

Post by ToledoCat#3 » January 21st, 2023, 11:06 pm

It wasn't a pretty win, but its still a win this team needed desperately. We just rush the easy shots too often inside.

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » January 21st, 2023, 11:10 pm

Well, we aren't the worst team in the conference. Thankful for TCU, they will keep us out of the cellar.

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » January 22nd, 2023, 12:08 pm

TCU is really bad. you are right. i suspect we will finish ninth. i am completely baffled as to why they won't play Maupin. she is the most athletic player on the team that is short of athleticism. it is time to admit that Shematsi, Greer and Lauterbach are not able to compete at this level. Maupin may make some mistakes but at least she can make layups and has a great upside.
These users thanked the author greycat68 for the post:
wazucat

wazucat

Post by wazucat » January 22nd, 2023, 2:24 pm

greycat68 wrote:
January 22nd, 2023, 12:08 pm
TCU is really bad. you are right. i suspect we will finish ninth. i am completely baffled as to why they won't play Maupin. she is the most athletic player on the team that is short of athleticism. it is time to admit that Shematsi, Greer and Lauterbach are not able to compete at this level. Maupin may make some mistakes but at least she can make layups and has a great upside.
I have not seen Maupin in person, only high school highlights and when she gets limited PT in games on the tube. With our record I too wonder why she is not garnering more time. Play the kids that you want to play next year, don't give em a reason to transfer.

purpleprairiecat
Location: Spokane, WA but lived in Manhattan, KS for many years.

Post by purpleprairiecat » January 22nd, 2023, 2:45 pm

I think we will finish higher than 9th. Maupin is playing but not for many minutes. I agree about her athleticism, but she needs improvement on her fundamentals, which is typical for a freshman. I disagree about Shematsi and Greer. Both are first-year players for K-State and need improvement on their confidence. Lauterbach is a role player who plays hard but lacks athletic ability. The next two games at Okie State and at KU are critical. The home loss against Texas Tech was devastating.

Any word on how Sanchez is recovering? I assume she is out for the year. This team is playing short handed without Lee and Sanchez, which has forced K-State to play more zone defense in Big 12 play.

oldcat59
Has thanked: 0

Post by oldcat59 » January 22nd, 2023, 3:52 pm

Facts: Shematic is a Grad student. She is currently playing her 4th season of basketball. Played 2 years of junior college ball. Played at LSU during 2021-2022 season. Coach Mulkey did not retain her for the 2022-2023 season. She is 23 years old.

Greer played one season at Oklahoma. NCAA did not allow her to play at K-state during 2021-2022 season. 2022-2023 is her 3rd season on collegiate basketball. She is 22 years old.

Speculation (opinion): Greer played entire 2021-2022 season on K-State's "practice" squad. Members of the "practice" squad are fundamentally coached to combat the K-State varsity team. They are schooled in K-State's basic playbook. Most players would be reasonably 'seasoned' in collegiate ball in 3 years. (2 and half - to be exact).

If Coach Mulkey did not retain a player after a season, there probably was a reason.

The Glenn girls have now played 1 and one-half seasons of college basketball. Both are still 19 years old. Sundell also has played 1 and one-half seasons of ball, she just turned 20 years old. You do the math!

Maupin has talent. She needs coaching and deserves playing minutes. As much as we would like to not admit it, Coach Carr coached Bre Lewis to become a much better player than she was prior to his tenure at K-State.

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » January 22nd, 2023, 6:05 pm

Good points all Oldcat.

purpleprairiecat
Location: Spokane, WA but lived in Manhattan, KS for many years.

Post by purpleprairiecat » January 22nd, 2023, 9:17 pm

oldcat59 wrote:
January 22nd, 2023, 3:52 pm
Facts: Shematic is a Grad student. She is currently playing her 4th season of basketball. Played 2 years of junior college ball. Played at LSU during 2021-2022 season. Coach Mulkey did not retain her for the 2022-2023 season. She is 23 years old.

Greer played one season at Oklahoma. NCAA did not allow her to play at K-state during 2021-2022 season. 2022-2023 is her 3rd season on collegiate basketball. She is 22 years old.

Speculation (opinion): Greer played entire 2021-2022 season on K-State's "practice" squad. Members of the "practice" squad are fundamentally coached to combat the K-State varsity team. They are schooled in K-State's basic playbook. Most players would be reasonably 'seasoned' in collegiate ball in 3 years. (2 and half - to be exact).

If Coach Mulkey did not retain a player after a season, there probably was a reason.

The Glenn girls have now played 1 and one-half seasons of college basketball. Both are still 19 years old. Sundell also has played 1 and one-half seasons of ball, she just turned 20 years old. You do the math!

Maupin has talent. She needs coaching and deserves playing minutes. As much as we would like to not admit it, Coach Carr coached Bre Lewis to become a much better player than she was prior to his tenure at K-State.
Thank you for this information and analysis. This is much appreciated. Which coach is now responsible for coaching the post players?

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » January 22nd, 2023, 10:32 pm

I believe it is coach Osterman.

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » January 23rd, 2023, 1:23 pm

This 22-23 class was supposed to be really good. What happened? Maupin is the only one getting any minutes. (I'm not counting the garbage time Mittie has given Parks). Was the class over rated, are they injured? Will any of them even still be here after riding the bench all season this year?

At this point, we are looking at 9th place finish in the Big 12. It's time to get Harris, Gatewood, Parks some quality minutes and see what we got. The ability to develop players is just another one of Mitties many short comings. When only about 20% of your recruiting classes are actually developing into BiG 12 caliber players you've got problems.