Donavan Williams - Do these guys know something?

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Re: Donavan Williams - Do these guys know something?

Post by learnin » April 14th, 2020, 8:23 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 1:33 am
Well, here it is - don't really want this dude. IMO he's a punk. Donavan, recruiting is not a "business". It's a commitment to a school. I'm glad you're not coming to K-State. You would not fit in. You're not nearly as good as you think you are. You're ranked 187th in the nation and you act like you're God's gift to basketball.

From the KC Star

Why touted recruit Donovan Williams committed to K-State ... and ended up at OSU
BY KELLIS ROBINETT
APRIL 13, 2020 06:06 PM, UPDATED 4 HOURS 9 MINUTES AGO

MANHATTAN
Informing Kansas State basketball coach Bruce Weber that he intended to play for Oklahoma State instead of the Wildcats was one of the hardest things that heralded recruit Donovan Williams has ever done.
Why?
He was technically committed to K-State when he delivered the bad news by phone on Monday.

Williams never made it public, but he silently pledged his basketball services to the Wildcats late last week and intended to announce his decision to the world Monday with a video post on social media. That was the plan all weekend. But he changed his mind somewhere along the way and flipped to the Cowboys four days after he pledged to wear purple as a college player.

He is happy with his final decision and he is thrilled to play with Cade Cunningham, the nation’s top-rated incoming recruit, next season at Oklahoma State.

Still, that phone call to Weber wasn’t fun.
“It was very tough, because I’m a guy who doesn’t like to go back on his word,” Williams said in a phone interview. “I don’t like it when people do that to me. But, at the same time, it’s a business. They are going to be OK. These guys are millionaires. Losing me won’t be that big of a deal.”

“I had to look at it from a business standpoint, because there were a lot of schools that told me they didn’t want me anymore. I don’t see why it should be that big of a deal for me to call a school and tell them that I don’t want to go there anymore. This is just what is best for me. It’s nothing that they did or didn’t do. I just wanted to go to Oklahoma State.”
Williams, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard from Lincoln, Neb., and one of the nation’s top remaining unsigned prospects, was also once committed to Nebraska before re-opening his recruitment after the Cornhuskers switched coaches from Tim Miles to Fred Hoiberg.
He felt better about his decision to play for K-State when he made it last week. But he began to rethink that choice after a few days.

When he went to bed Sunday night, he said, he was questioning himself. When he woke up Monday morning he told himself, “Man, I have got to get this done” with Oklahoma State.
“When I told Kansas State I wanted to go there it was an emotional decision, just kind of off impulse,” Williams said. “I didn’t clear it with my family or with my mentors and other people close to me. That is what I messed up last time with Nebraska when I committed to them off of impulse. I was just feeling good.”
“I took a day off and slept on it. Then I did a lot of deep thinking. There were a lot more pros to going to Oklahoma state than there were going to Kansas State. That’s what it came down to. I wrote everything down and studied stuff. I looked at the rosters, the coaching staffs, everything. I just feel like this is the best place for me.”
His decision to spurn K-State for a Big 12 rival leaves the Wildcats’ highest-rated recruiting class of the Weber era incomplete.
They may have to scramble to fill their final scholarship need of the 2020 recruiting cycle.

Landing Williams would have gone down as a big recruiting victory for Weber, as the K-State basketball coach treated Williams like the No. 1 prospect on his wish list throughout the winter and spring. He made several trips to Lincoln to watch the bucket-getter play in person last season, occasionally even when the Wildcats played on the same day.
K-State prioritized Williams because he possesses a talent it will need lots of next season — the ability to score.
With eight players departing the K-State basketball roster this offseason, the Wildcats only return 39.6 points from last year’s team. They lost their top three scorers and need new bucket-getters to replace them. Williams could have fit that role perfectly — he averaged nearly 30 points as a high school senior and knows how to both attack the basket and shoot from the perimeter.
But it wasn’t to be.
That will come as a disappointment to K-State fans, because the Wildcats appeared to be the clear favorites when Williams said he privately committed to his school of choice last week. Experts at all the recruiting websites nearly unanimously picked him to end up in purple.
K-State’s No. 2 recruiting target, Andersson Garcia, committed to Mississippi State Friday. Some took that as a sign that Williams was locked into Manhattan.
But momentum began to build for the Cowboys after top 50 recruit J.T. Thor spurned Oklahoma State for Auburn over the weekend. Without Thor, OSU coach Mike Boynton placed a new priority on Williams and flipped him with a late recruiting push.
Let the record continue to show that recruiting is never over until it’s over.
Donovan’s pledge to Oklahoma State bumped the Cowboys’ incoming recruiting class all the way up to No. 4 nationally, per Rivals. The opportunity to join that many other talented freshmen was too much for Williams to pass up.
He knows he disappointed K-State fans. But he hopes there are no hard feelings with Weber or his players.
“From my end, there is no bad blood at all,” Williams said. “It’s not like I reached out to people and they told me not go there. I am just doing what I think is best for me. I respect Coach Weber. I think he is a great guy. He came to a lot of my games when he didn’t have to. This is just a business. Recruiting is a business. He understands that, and he has been through it before.”
Williams received scholarships from K-State, Oklahoma State and Texas. But he also heard from Kansas, Texas A&M, Georgia, Villanova and a handful of other prominent schools.
It may be personal for him when he faces some of the teams that passed on his services.
“I look forward to playing a team like Kansas,” Williams said. “They had a chance and they overlooked me. I just couldn’t get to Villanova. Their head coach called and said, ‘I can’t offer you because I haven’t seen you play in person before.’ I can accept that. But some schools passed on me, period. I am going to be excited to play against them next year, for sure.”
In the end, it all came down to K-State and Oklahoma State.
For a few days, he was going to be a Wildcat. But he ended up a Cowboy.
“Playing with the No. 1 player in the country for a couple years will be awesome,” Williams said. “The coach they have, I love that dude. He is probably the most truthful guy I know. I am really looking forward to playing for him.”

It is unclear who Weber will target now on the recruiting trail. But it seems like junior-college big man Carlton Linguard could become a priority. The 6-foot-11 center boasts 12 scholarships, including offers from K-State, TCU, Texas A&M and Southern California.
Or maybe he will look for a graduate transfer to help out next season while seeking a long-term answer in 2021.
Either way, K-State still boasts a consensus top 25 recruiting class that Rivals ranks 14th nationally.
The Wildcats currently are set to welcome three different four-star recruits (Davion Bradford, Selton Miguel and Nijel Pack) next season, in addition to a pair of three-star prospects (Luke Kasubke and Seryee Lewis), as well as junior-college transfer Rudi Williams and UTEP transfer Kaosi Ezeagu.
When Donovan Williams joined as the eighth member of this K-State recruiting class, it was briefly the largest of the Weber era.
Dave, I just finished reading this article on Twitter. I'm glad you posted this here as I was getting ready to do the same. Man, we dodged a bullet for sure. There are several things that jump out at me.

1. Several coaches stopped pursuing him. They, obviously, knew he was trouble.

2. Said he looks forward to playing Kansas because they passed on him. I would imagine Self, and company, are shaking in their boots. I would imagine Boynton is already shaking his head on that bit of bravado. That's locker room ammo.

3. Villanova's coach said he couldn't offer because he had not seen him play. Makes me think that Williams was contacting him looking for a gig.
Obviously, if you are interested in a player, you go see him play.

4. He says he's a guy who doesn't go back on his word, but has done it to two schools.

The most important thing. I'd be interested in how the Oklahoma State recruiting came down. Obviously, there was no room for Williams on the OSU roster until Thor left. Did Boynton fill his roster before offering Williams or did Williams refuse to commit and Boynton went after other players? If Boynton offered other players while Williams was available, why would he go there after being shunned? If Williams was late in committing, it was only because he wanted to go elsewhere like KU or Villanova and Oklahoma State was down on his list. So, how did Oklahoma State win out when Bruce Weber pursued this player more than any other coach did?

learnin

Post by learnin » April 14th, 2020, 8:41 pm

Hypeman wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 10:12 am
I’m not sure I see it the way you all do. Making a final decision, including a phone call to let someone down is hard for anyone, especially a kid. Perhaps there was some delay because of his concern for coach Weber and staff? Who knows. He was technically never committed to KSU as the article states. Nobody is committed until everyone signs on the bottom line. Coaches pull verbal offers all the time and player change the mind all the time. It’s a nasty business. And you never know what OSU might have pulled out of their hat.

I also suspect the kid looked at the rosters and incoming classes and picked the one that he thinks will offer him court time sooner and with fewer guys to compete with in his class and the one above in the long run.

Even if you hate the J-Hawks, Having dreams to play at KU seems logical for a kid from this region. And Villanova is a national program so a teenager having a dream to go there sounds logical too. He originally committed to Tim Miles at Nebraska. Changing his mind when Freddy got hired is logical too. You never know what transfers Hoiberg will bring.

I know nothing about the kid, but neither do all of you. There are logical reasons for changing his mind, and they might even be that he’s a good kid, not a bad one. The only certainty is that none of us know and he will be playing at OSU next year.
Young man said he can't wait to play Kansas because they passed on him. How would you like to hear that if you were the coach who signed him? Nothing wrong with him wanting to go to Kansas, but you ought to keep that to your self and let your play do the talking. I remember another young man who said a similar thing. His name was Marcus Foster and we know how that ended. Young man said other coaches stopped pursuing him and he's bitter about that. Young man said Villanova's coach couldn't offer him because he had never seen him play. So, young man is pursuing schools that were not interested. Now, I never had the opportunity to pursue, or be pursued, but I'll tell you one thing. If I had such a blessing, I would only be interested in the coaches who were interested in me.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 14th, 2020, 9:14 pm

Hypeman wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 6:55 pm
pulitzerdave wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 11:30 am

This "you don't know him" BS is exactly that. I don't need to know this guy to draw my own conclusion about his motives and his character.
Wow. That’s pretty harsh.

This whole thread sounds like sour grapes.
Sounds like you don't like the fact that most people agree with me and not you. But go ahead and be Donavan's lackey.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » April 14th, 2020, 9:49 pm

What does it tell you about a kid that puts KU and Nova in his final 6, when they NEVER OFFERED? Nova never even saw him in person, who puts a team in the top 6 when they haven't even met you? I'm going to put 6 supermodels in my final 6, I don't care if they aren't interested in me and have never met me. But I'm going to hold a grudge if they choose another guy. :rofl:

Probably doesn't help that a 2021 player, Hunter Sallis, from Nebraska is getting love from KU and from Nebraska, and many top schools. He played against his team many times. Williams on the other hand, isn't getting the same love.

Nova wouldn't offer him based on his tape and wouldn't send any assistants to come see him. Didn't get an offer
KU hosted him for at least 2 visits and saw him in person. Didn't get an offer
Oregon and Altman saw him play in person. Didn't get an offer.
Vanderbilt sent an assistant to watch him play. Didn't get an offer.
USC reached out to him. Didn't get an offer.
He went on an unofficial to Wisconsin. Didn't get an offer.
Texas only has 1 spot open I believe, and they think they are getting the 9th player in the nation in Greg Brown. So he couldn't choose UT until that was decided. He was their backup plan.
OSU only had one spot, and they thought they were getting Thor. He was their backup plan.

He decommitted from Nebraska because "A main reason was, I wasn't a priority" for the new staff, unlike his fellow NE player.

KSU made him their top priority unlike the other schools. It was his spot to take because he was #1 for KSU's open spot. KSU was his best commitable P5 offer last week (Texas A&M, is meh), so he told KSU what they needed to hear so they would hold him a spot so he wouldn't be left out in the cold if Garcia choose KSU first on Friday. He wanted OSU, but wanted a spot held until he knew their situation. He fleeced KSU. All this talk about his word is pretty ironic as is his comments on NU not making him a priority, when KSU was the 1 school to make him their top priority, not a backup plan like others.

He constantly posted about his stats, his offers, and any article he was mentioned on and several times that recruitment is open (which was quite clear at the time).

It's good to have confidence, but seems like he thinks he is much better then what coaches think he is.

He is going to be in the background to Cade at OSU for a year and then fight for minutes with a better player in his own class and whomever OSU goes after in 2021 as well.

He has a torn ACL in his medical history, who knows, it could get reinjured.

He would have been a nice addition to KSU, but he wasn't the focal point of the class and doesn't make or break the class. Time to move on.
Last edited by AJcat7755 on April 14th, 2020, 10:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 14th, 2020, 10:00 pm

Why is everyone getting their bowels in such an uproar. This kid would be great if he chose us. But he chose to do the Okie Pokie. I would not be surprised if he gets injured.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 15th, 2020, 12:37 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 9:49 pm
What does it tell you about a kid that puts KU and Nova in his final 6, when they NEVER OFFERED? Nova never even saw him in person, who puts a team in the top 6 when they haven't even met you? I'm going to put 6 supermodels in my final 6, I don't care if they aren't interested in me and have never met me. But I'm going to hold a grudge if they choose another guy. :rofl:

Probably doesn't help that a 2021 player, Hunter Sallis, from Nebraska is getting love from KU and from Nebraska, and many top schools. He played against his team many times. Williams on the other hand, isn't getting the same love.

Nova wouldn't offer him based on his tape and wouldn't send any assistants to come see him. Didn't get an offer
KU hosted him for at least 2 visits and saw him in person. Didn't get an offer
Oregon and Altman saw him play in person. Didn't get an offer.
Vanderbilt sent an assistant to watch him play. Didn't get an offer.
USC reached out to him. Didn't get an offer.
He went on an unofficial to Wisconsin. Didn't get an offer.
Texas only has 1 spot open I believe, and they think they are getting the 9th player in the nation in Greg Brown. So he couldn't choose UT until that was decided. He was their backup plan.
OSU only had one spot, and they thought they were getting Thor. He was their backup plan.

He decommitted from Nebraska because "A main reason was, I wasn't a priority" for the new staff, unlike his fellow NE player.

KSU made him their top priority unlike the other schools. It was his spot to take because he was #1 for KSU's open spot. KSU was his best commitable P5 offer last week (Texas A&M, is meh), so he told KSU what they needed to hear so they would hold him a spot so he wouldn't be left out in the cold if Garcia choose KSU first on Friday. He wanted OSU, but wanted a spot held until he knew their situation. He fleeced KSU. All this talk about his word is pretty ironic as is his comments on NU not making him a priority, when KSU was the 1 school to make him their top priority, not a backup plan like others.

He constantly posted about his stats, his offers, and any article he was mentioned on and several times that recruitment is open (which was quite clear at the time).

It's good to have confidence, but seems like he thinks he is much better then what coaches think he is.

He is going to be in the background to Cade at OSU for a year and then fight for minutes with a better player in his own class and whomever OSU goes after in 2021 as well.

He has a torn ACL in his medical history, who knows, it could get reinjured.

He would have been a nice addition to KSU, but he wasn't the focal point of the class and doesn't make or break the class. Time to move on.
And in their head to head competition this season, Hunter Sallis outplayed Williams. Sallis is much more highly regarded in the junior class. Top 60, I think.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 15th, 2020, 1:21 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 10:00 pm
Why is everyone getting their bowels in such an uproar. This kid would be great if he chose us. But he chose to do the Okie Pokie. I would not be surprised if he gets injured.
Everyone??? Some are bothered about it more than others and with most things. I think the majority are somewhat disappointed when your school is not the one selected that made a supposed final cut and when it’s a more higher rated recruit. But I think for most it just is what it is. The fact he was supposedly committed and then flipped at the last minute, and it possibly cost you a recruit ruffles feathers a bit more. But again, most I think are looking to just move on, excited about the class we have and curious if there will be another yet added.

I also think that there’s possibly a few more replies and posts on this particular topic just because there’s very little going on both with recruiting and sports in general.

And I do think AJ’s post was pretty spot on and detailed with all that transpired with this young man, it maybe was best he didn’t pick KSU. Just shows how hard recruiting is. You invest a lot of time, can even let a potential recruit know he’s you’re #1 priority, develop a pretty solid relationship and still wind up with all that effort essentially being wasted. But it is a necessary part. No one should ever question how much work, effort, energy Weber puts in.

travray68
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by travray68 » April 15th, 2020, 3:33 pm

thanks for the answer pdave

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » April 15th, 2020, 4:05 pm

travray68 wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 3:33 pm
thanks for the answer pdave
Sure, glad to respond. We have to remember that not everyone follows the forum closely. Garcia would have been a good pick-up, but we still have a great class. And the class may be even better without D.Williams. I wouldn't have said that a week ago, but new information has changed my mind. What's that saying, "one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch."

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » April 15th, 2020, 5:03 pm

PDave-I think it's the "barrel." You're thinking of bananas!