The Force

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

The Force

Post by learnin » March 18th, 2020, 11:16 am

I thought during these difficult times, and since there is no basketball going on, it would be a good time to revisit this subject, which has riled a few feathers over the years, but is so very important. As you all know, I've made it a point to insist that every life is dependent upon a power that I have labeled the force. I call it the force so that it doesn't become more controversial by labeling it something that would sidetrack the debate. You can call it luck; some might want to call it God while others might not want to legitimize it by giving it a name.

The Corona virus FORCES us to acknowledge this all too real phenomena. Student athletes have been denied championships and various other records by this virus. Will Spradling, in his third year as a head coach, turned a mediocre team into a Cinderella team and most likely his first championship. They knocked off three of the best teams in a row, but will now be denied the thrill and legacy that should have been theirs.
Small business owners might fail. Many would definitely fail if our government does not come to their aid.

In this game of life, which includes the game of basketball, I always include a variety of factors that determine the success or failure of a person, or team. The great thing is that, win or lose, our success is determined by how we handle what the force deals to us good or ill. Our success might not be known by banners hanging or dollars made, but those who surround us, will know our mettle, our greatness, by how we respond to the negative things, which the force throws in our path.

I believe the force has a purpose. The force is a power that determines, in the end, what kind of human being we will be at the time of our death.
Some times the force is cruel. At other times, it can be kind. It produces an opportunity for great success for some. Even success will test the quality of the man. Will that man become proud and end up being a failure by failing to acknowledge the blessings that enabled he, or she, to achieve success? Success can, sometimes, be a tougher test than failure.

I've often said that Bruce Weber would be the greatest Kansas State basketball coach, at this very moment if three things had happened differently.

1. Angel Rodriquez finishes his college career at K-State
2. Marcus Foster kept his head
3. Dean Wade had remained healthy

If these three things would have happened, Bruce Weber is now the greatest coach in K-State's history. Just consider the story of Dean Wade. We had, as Coach Beard said, a team that had CHAMPIONSHIP DNA. Make no mistake about it. Kansas State, with Dean, Barry and Kam, had a very good chance of winning the NCAA. Here, we had 3 career 1,000 point scorers on the team at the same time. What is more, we had one of the best defensive teams in the country. Now, consider that Dean was injured his last two years when tournament time came. Have any of you watched Dean's play in the G league this year? This young man is a scoring machine. He, also, sees the court well; defends well and passes well. When Dean was at K-State, he was injured a big part of the time. This year, he played without injury. This is the force, pure and simple. You can argue that he's a few pounds lighter, but you know, and I know, what the real truth is. The corona virus has spoken. Many student athletes, and athletic programs, will not achieve their dream. The same force had it's say with our championship team. As soon as K-State achieved a state of euphoria with the conference championship, Dean went down with an injury. "Be content with this championship."

On the political board, I predicted a major event would take place because of our current political climate. The force is speaking. We need only listen.

bigpurpleman

Post by bigpurpleman » March 18th, 2020, 5:55 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That's my input.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » March 18th, 2020, 6:09 pm

Good food for thought Learnin. And as you already said everybody can relate to the subject in their own way. Whether it’s the force, or luck, or science, or a God thing......it’s always good for a little time of reflection. And we certainly have that time now.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » March 18th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Well, you can also say s*** happens. Good or bad.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » March 18th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Maybe the Corona virus is sending a much different message then alluded. In this time of global politics and open boarders the message may be to protect your own and not send much of our economy to a backward society with a despotic government. The Force indeed.

learnin

Post by learnin » March 18th, 2020, 9:35 pm

katlander wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 7:48 pm
Maybe the Corona virus is sending a much different message then alluded. In this time of global politics and open boarders the message may be to protect your own and not send much of our economy to a backward society with a despotic government. The Force indeed.
But, how will you protect your own family if the virus takes you and your livelihood? At that point, your family will need an extended family. No man is an island.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » March 19th, 2020, 1:28 am

learnin wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 9:35 pm
katlander wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 7:48 pm
But, how will you protect your own family if the virus takes you and your livelihood? At that point, your family will need an extended family. No man is an island.
That's where you and my other forum friends come in. :)

Ksustephens

Post by Ksustephens » March 19th, 2020, 10:25 pm

I may be be vilified but honestly I think that we probably need to be pumping more money into sciences than college sports and professional sports. We as a country were woefully prepared for this pandemic yet we have massive amounts of revenue that go to athletes, performers, and actors than scientists. I for one am pretty much done with paying exorbitant amounts for sporting events and such. It’s a sad state of affairs but I think college and sports as we know it are going to be changed forever.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » March 20th, 2020, 12:27 am

I'm with you stephens. I love K-State but think sports is way overboard and could give it up if they go too far. Our priorities need to be in order. 1. Work 2. Play School is for academics first.

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » March 20th, 2020, 10:05 am

I love sports, but I hold education in much higher esteem.

I'm all for more funding for education if the education is STEM related, and not social sciences and liberal arts. KSU is an applied science university first and foremost.