COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Hypeman

Re: Dean gets his number retired

Post by Hypeman » February 24th, 2020, 8:56 pm

learnin wrote:
February 24th, 2020, 2:29 pm
Hypeman wrote:
February 24th, 2020, 3:04 am

I never saw a close similarity in the way they play other than being white and tall. Many tall white kids with an outside shot get compared to Bird.

Bird was obviously a great shooter, but he was more of a back to the basket player with about every move in the book at his disposal. Dean the college player was a reluctant post player with a limited low post repertoire down low. He’s more of a 6’10 2 guard. A 6’10 John Paxon.
Bird was mostly a back to the basket player? Larry could play with his back to the basket, which is not Dean's forte, but Larry made his legend facing the basket. Larry and Dean were both tall players who could handle the ball, shoot very well and see the floor very well.
No, Larry could do it all, but made most of legendary baskets shooting a right shoulder fade-away. It was virtually unstoppable with that behind the head release. He has a legendary post game.

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » February 24th, 2020, 11:39 pm

Piedmontcat wrote:
February 24th, 2020, 3:13 pm

I didn’t think Barry could make the NBA because of his size and inconsistent shooting. After watching him for four years, I never would have thought him capable of shooting around 40% from the NBA line. But if he can do that consistently, and with the current trend toward “small ball”, I believe he will find a spot. If both he and Dean could sign contracts next year, we would have 4 guys on active rosters and the NBA would immediately become more interesting for me.
If a college player is good enough to make a G league team roster, it definitely makes you think another year of college for a guy like Sneed or Diarra is not going to enhance their chance to make money playing basketball. For example, what is Sneed getting out of this season from a basketball perspective vs playing for a team like the Wolves who have three current or former player development coaches on their staff.

The Iowa Wolves, the NBA G League affiliate of the Minnesota Timberwolves, today announced the team’s basketball staff for the upcoming season
Sam Newman-Beck as Head Coach.
I Devin Smith as Assistant Head Coac
Chris Hines as Assistant Head Coach,
Alfred Aboya as Assistant Coach/Director of Player Development,

Smith joins the Wolves after serving as a player development coach with the Phoenix Suns during the 2018-19 season.
Hines spent the previous three seasons with the Guangdong Southern Tigers as a director of player development beginning in 2016.
Chris Williams joins the staff after spending five seasons as lead athletic trainer for the Texas Tech men’s basketball program. eason.
Aboya begins his second season as an assistant coach and director of player development with the Wolves. A
[/quote]

I love to see guys play all 4 years, but it is rarely in their own best interest to do so. The NBA is infatuated with potential and youth. For example - If a kid puts up 15 & 8 as a sophomore he might go first round. Do it as a Junior and you are late 2nd. Do it as a senior and you are undrafted. There is only 2 years difference, but it would cost the player literally millions, maybe tens of millions, over the next decade. Also, as you say, the G League has become an effective development place. Play 50+ games, get plenty of rest, lots of time to work on your game & body while you play against a higher level of competition.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » February 29th, 2020, 12:42 am

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » February 29th, 2020, 8:37 am

There must be a heck of a lot of good players in the G league who don't get a fair shot in the NBA. Looks like Dean will get a shot but hard to understand why he is not there yet. Barry Brown is playing at a level that you would think could get him a shot but maybe there are just too many other good players.
Guess we'll see how it plays out for both these guys over the next couple of years. Hope they both stay healthy and playing like they are and force the hand of NBA teams.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 29th, 2020, 8:43 am

I don't think it's all an ability thing. $$$, contracts and eyeballs are factors. Those teams shell out a lot of money for a few of the players. The rest have to scrap for the leftovers (still big $$ however).

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » February 29th, 2020, 9:04 am

It's a business world dogfight. After watching Dean and Barry play in the g league and many NBA games this year for Dean and the difference in all these guys is razor thin. As a matter of fact incentive wise I think the g league might beat the NBA guys if they both played their normal games. As far as who gets the most playing time I'm sorry but management isn't going to set a 30 million dollar man on the bench no matter how bad he plays. And yes ALL of those guys are really really good. It’s been an incredible experience to watch how good they are. After watching college and high school championship teams closely my entire life the difference is mind boggling.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » February 29th, 2020, 5:44 pm

https://dai.ly/x7sdd80

And now driving tonight to Cleveland for his 2nd game today a doubleheader......!

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » February 29th, 2020, 6:09 pm

Sorry if this has been posted as I did not take the time to read all of this, but he had his 'jersey' retired, not his number and there is a huge difference.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas-st ... 143766278/
Win the dang day!

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » March 2nd, 2020, 4:11 am

https://dai.ly/x7sei73

More highlights from today!

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » March 4th, 2020, 11:49 pm