Dajuan Gordon, let's take a look

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
xtrawildcat

Re: Dajuan Gordon, let's take a look

Post by xtrawildcat » January 2nd, 2020, 6:53 pm

learnin wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 6:12 pm
Xtra, I would say moving your release point higher is an easier fix than changing the whole mechanics. It was just a matter of Curry becoming stronger so he could release it higher. And there's no doubt that there are exceptions to the rule so Dajuan ought to practice a great deal, over the summer, with his form.
We can argue whether changing your shot form is easy or hard. I found it was easy. But I think we all agree that you can not be a good consistent shooter from college three point range with poor mechanics. So it is really a necessity for a college player to master shot mechanics. There can be a few variations in what the final result looks in high or low release point, etc but lots of shot mechanicsare known and essential. Good balance from a solid base, elbow under the ball, ball off the index and middle finger, proper follow through, etc.

Does Buddy Hields freshman shot form sound like D Gordons? So do we want a chance at D Gordon shooting like Buddy Hield or Barry Brown who never did completely fix his form. And before everyone hits the respond button, I said a chance at D Gordon shooting like Hield. Correct form does not guarantee great results.

From the article.
Hield made 23.8 percent of his 3-point shots in his first college season. But his performance on game nights was little indication of what was happening on the practice court as he, Kruger and assistant coach Chris Crutchfield tore Hield’s shot down to its foundation and began to rebuild.

“He had one of those cross-body shots,” Crutchfield said. “It started in his right hip and it went to his left forehead. It was kind of a weird deal.”

So for maybe six months, Crutchfield said, the Oklahoma staff drilled the right-handed Hield on keeping his jump-shot motion strictly on the right side of his body. They worked to keep his right elbow from flying out in Hield’s shooting motion.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 2nd, 2020, 7:00 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 6:38 pm
learnin wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 6:12 pm
Xtra, I would say moving your release point higher is an easier fix than changing the whole mechanics. It was just a matter of Curry becoming stronger so he could release it higher. And there's no doubt that there are exceptions to the rule so Dajuan ought to practice a great deal, over the summer, with his form.
Buddy Hield
“(Crutchfield) and Coach Kruger told me to tuck my elbow in much more (at a) 90-degree angle,” Hield said. “I just tried to get as close as I can to where I feel comfortable doing it. I just started working each and every day (until) I perfected it and shots started falling.”
Nobody is saying it's not possible. What we're saying it isn't easy or "not hard to do" I think you stated. This is especially with 19-22 year olds who have likely shot it that way through 50-100 games per year (including AAU) and thousands of muscle memory times per year. It takes a tough minded, open minded, and dedicated, individual and even then, it's not always easy due to the things I mentioned before with body structure.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » January 2nd, 2020, 10:18 pm

“... I just started working each and every day (until) I perfected it.” Player development takes a dedicated player. Not everyone has the same level of commitment.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 18th, 2020, 7:17 pm

time for a second look, p'dave? ;-)
Why is there something rather than nothing?

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » January 18th, 2020, 7:23 pm

DaJuan was nearly perfect today. 6-7 shooting, 4 steals, 0 turnovers, 2 assist, 1 foul, 15pts. Pretty solid on both ends today. He is slowly but surely, living up to the preseason hype.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 18th, 2020, 7:30 pm

Even when he was struggling, which he will again (1 game don't mean crap), my gut and eyes told me he is going to be a good one. Don't get too giddy fellas. He is going to struggle some more, but in the long run, he will be an all conference player, imo.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 18th, 2020, 7:30 pm

Even when he was struggling, which he will again (1 game doesn't mean crap), my gut and eyes told me he is going to be a good one. Don't get too giddy fellas. He is going to struggle some more, but in the long run (Jr/Sr) he will be an all conference player, imo.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 18th, 2020, 7:36 pm

The frustrating start, and Mike’s unfortunate injury, has, obviously, provided D. Gordon with the opportunity to step up.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 18th, 2020, 7:37 pm

d'gordon is way better than mike. mike is an excellent defender but that's pretty much the limit of his game as a starter. he can make a much larger contribution coming off the bench when he's fresh and has time to sort the game as he did as a freshman and sophomore.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

learnin

Post by learnin » January 18th, 2020, 7:46 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 7:37 pm
d'gordon is way better than mike. mike is an excellent defender but that's pretty much the limit of his game as a starter. he can make a much larger contribution coming off the bench when :he's fresh and has time to sort the game as he did as a freshman and sophomore.
:agree: