Basketball scrimmage

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Puffdad

Basketball scrimmage

Post by Puffdad » October 19th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Good scrimmage today. Tidbits that I picked up. 1. D Gordon can shoot it. Not a great handle but very quick and athletic. 2. Murphy and A. Gordon will both help us. Murphy quick, works hard, and can shoot it. Little thin and is probably not 6’9. Gordon big strong guy who can be pretty physical. Didn’t shoot real well today but can jump and board it. 3. McGuirl thinner and shot well. 4 Cartier struggled shooting wise but still contributed scoring off the dribble. 5. X lloked good shooting wise and still tremendous defender. Ahead of most knowing the sets and executing well. 5. Mak...plays well whenever he can find that handle on the ball and actually catches it. Nothing has changed handwise. 6. Sloan a good shooter and playmaker. You better not have a bad game if you’re a guard because their are plenty of good subs. Shaun Neal looked like the game has slowed down for him. Looked good.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » October 19th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Puffdad wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 8:19 pm
Good scrimmage today. Tidbits that I picked up. 1. D Gordon can shoot it. Not a great handle but very quick and athletic. 2. Murphy and A. Gordon will both help us. Murphy quick, works hard, and can shoot it. Little thin and is probably not 6’9. Gordon big strong guy who can be pretty physical. Didn’t shoot real well today but can jump and board it. 3. McGuirl thinner and shot well. 4 Cartier struggled shooting wise but still contributed scoring off the dribble. 5. X lloked good shooting wise and still tremendous defender. Ahead of most knowing the sets and executing well. 5. Mak...plays well whenever he can find that handle on the ball and actually catches it. Nothing has changed handwise. 6. Sloan a good shooter and playmaker. You better not have a bad game if you’re a guard because their are plenty of good subs. Shaun Neal looked like the game has slowed down for him. Looked good.
Pretty good synopsis. Reports are that A Gordon is one of the better three point shooters on the team although he did not show it today. He is at least the same height as Mak and looks big and strong enough to play some post defense. Agree with you about Murphy. Saw him a couple of times out guarding a point guard successfully. Saw him execute at least three lob dunks today. I think Stockard is going to struggle to see the floor later in the year once those two guys are acclimated.
One interesting thing was the full court sprints the losing team had to run after the last scrimmage. A Gordn was beating the other players on his team and then started wearing out a little. Diarra caught up with him and then they competed neck and neck to see who would finish first. I was impressed to see a 6ft9 guy do that after two hours of full court practice.

D Gordon will get a lot of minutes. Can shoot it and a very quick and smooth athlete.

Sloan looks like he can shoot it from range. He had too many turnovers from trying to force passes. Still he is going to be a nice addition.

Sneeds shot form has changed. Much shorter and not bringing it behind the vertical plane of his face. Should be more accurate and consistent and at least he shot it well today.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1185635365945856001

Picture of Sneeds shot from last year against Texas. Just pasted this to help me decide if I am inventing a change that is not there.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 9254755655
Last edited by xtrawildcat on October 20th, 2019, 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

learnin

Post by learnin » October 20th, 2019, 12:35 am

Good reviews, gentleman. I’ve been to about every one of these pre season scrimmages for at least ten years. I came out feeling better about what I saw yesterday than all of the others I can recall. For the first time, I came out with the distinct feeling that we have a number of good shooters. Sneed was smooth with his shooting touch. McGuirl was knocking down long 3’s. Sloan impressed me with his shooting. DaJuan.....are you kidding me? The young man was money. He also has a very quick first step. The newcomer who impressed me most? Montavious Murphy! This guy has a motor and fire I haven’t seen in these parts for a while. He was all over the place.

He stole the ball on an in bound pass, slammed it home, took the ball and sat it on the base line daring them to put it in play again. I saw him make a quick reverse lay up in a split second with authority. When he gets it down low, the kid knows what he wants to do and is not slow about it. The three alley oops Xtra mentioned. Two were in traffic , the kid grabbed the pass and displayed good hands by finishing.

A Gordon knocked down a long 3 as I sat own and then was a little tight after that with his shots falling short. Great build and strong, but moves like a guard. He and Montavious both move well.

As Puff stated, Shaun played well also. Man, the completion at guard is going to be fierce.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » October 20th, 2019, 7:15 am

Shaun Williams shot the ball well from three and I think he will be a weapon pushing the ball on breaks. However, Weber has commented that he likes to have the ball in his hands and that the team has others who will also have the ball in their hands, (ie Sloan and Carti). Williams needs to really learn how to play off the ball to maximize his value to the team.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » October 20th, 2019, 9:51 am

If this works, here is a youtube video of the scrimmage.

https://youtu.be/-3J_19BFIxI

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » October 20th, 2019, 11:21 am

Are Shadd & Love hurt? Did not see them play at all.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » October 20th, 2019, 2:22 pm

katlander wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 11:21 am
Are Shadd & Love hurt? Did not see them play at all.
Yes. They both worked on the side during the team workout preceding the scrimmage, but neither dressed for the scrimmage. Weber mentioned that Shadd has a tendonitis issue in an interview. McAtee and Pretakis were the only subs.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » October 20th, 2019, 3:41 pm

i watched the youtube version. player who stuck out was murphy. he has some game coupled with a lot of attitude. and yes, a ton of guards.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » October 21st, 2019, 7:42 am

Agreed. Murphy is ready to contribute right off the bat. Might need to get a little stronger and mature to help inside though.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » October 21st, 2019, 9:21 am

With our 6 bigs and Snead I think we will be OK on the inside. Nobody that is a huge force but enough bodies with enough talent and enough fouls to hold our own. If Mak can play up to his talent and avoid foul trouble then we will be solid in there. I think Levi looks better and Shadd and Love can each give a few minutes when needed. The freshmen should get better and better and may be getting a lot of minutes time the Big 12 rolls around.