Selton Miguel

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Re: Selton Miguel

Post by bhoovy » October 2nd, 2019, 8:46 am

Gor you beat me to it. Fighting over who is the better player, not because we’re not sure we have much talent as in some years past, but because we have some real legit talent thanks to what Dean, Barry and Kamau started.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » October 2nd, 2019, 8:48 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 7:33 am
pulitzerdave wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 8:23 pm

Why to you say that D. Gordon is the better player? I can tell you one thing that this kid does better than Gordon, from comparing videos, is his ability to pass off the dribble and find guys who are open. Miguel, at 6'4", could eventually be a point guard.
Miguel looks like a good player but hard to say he is better than Gordon as Gordon is already showing a lot in practices and was competive with the top players in the Country including some that already had college experience at the U19 tryouts. One coach who attended those practices predicted Gordon would be an early entry in the NBA draft after two or three years.
But both are great additions and we'll see who is the better or maybe we'll be lucky and they are both so good comparisons won't be worth discussing.
However, note that Gordon is already playing some point guard in practice. Probably won't be used there this year but has already shown the ability to the coaches. So I expect he can pass off the dribble and find guys who are open. We will see but I expect D Gordon has an edge in quickness and explosiveness.

And as an overall recruit, Nigel Pack may be better although they play different positions.

Or they may all be close to the same and will play significant roles over the next few yearsl
For example,
Pack - 102 composite rating on 247, 131 on Rivals
Miguel - 138 composite, 105 on Rivals
D Gordon 163 composite rating , 71 on Rivals
Haven't seen the same passing wizardry from Gordon as what Miguel possesses. To me, that's the unteachable element of a player's game. There are a lot of players who can shoot, dunk, drive and deliver points, but few have the natural instincts of a great passer. That's what separates Miguel from Gordon, IMO. You say Gordon is quicker (really), and can also pass off the dribble like Miguel (where is the video evidence of that?). I like Gordon, but I think Miguel has a bigger upside because of his passing - and at 6'4", his ability to do this will get him much attention as an NBA prospect if he continues to develop other parts of his game. He's already a better passer than X as a wing player. His passing instincts are comparable to Dean Wade's.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » October 2nd, 2019, 8:52 am

pulitzerdave wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 8:48 am
xtrawildcat wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 7:33 am

Miguel looks like a good player but hard to say he is better than Gordon as Gordon is already showing a lot in practices and was competive with the top players in the Country including some that already had college experience at the U19 tryouts. One coach who attended those practices predicted Gordon would be an early entry in the NBA draft after two or three years.
But both are great additions and we'll see who is the better or maybe we'll be lucky and they are both so good comparisons won't be worth discussing.
However, note that Gordon is already playing some point guard in practice. Probably won't be used there this year but has already shown the ability to the coaches. So I expect he can pass off the dribble and find guys who are open. We will see but I expect D Gordon has an edge in quickness and explosiveness.

And as an overall recruit, Nigel Pack may be better although they play different positions.

Or they may all be close to the same and will play significant roles over the next few yearsl
For example,
Pack - 102 composite rating on 247, 131 on Rivals
Miguel - 138 composite, 105 on Rivals
D Gordon 163 composite rating , 71 on Rivals
Haven't seen the same passing wizardry from Gordon as what Miguel possesses. To me, that's the unteachable element of a player's game. There are a lot of players who can shoot, dunk, drive and deliver points, but few have the natural instincts of a great passer. That's what separates Miguel from Gordon, IMO. You say Gordon is quicker (really), and can also pass off the dribble like Miguel (where is the video evidence of that?). I like Gordon, but I think Miguel has a bigger upside because of his passing - and at 6'4", his ability to do this will get him much attention as an NBA prospect if he continues to develop other parts of his game. He's already a better passer than X as a wing player. His passing instincts are comparable to Dean Wade's. Watch the 5 minute video of Miguel and focus your attention on just his passing skills and his ability to find guys off the dribble. It's extremely advanced for a HS player.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » October 2nd, 2019, 9:15 am

I also thought his passing really stood out in the video I watched. Not only his ability but his desire to set up his teammates. Hopefully he will be able to do it at the NCAA level with better talent, better defenses and a faster game. My guess is he will. Nigel Pack is also a great passer. Having Nigel at the point with Gordon and Miguel at the 2/3 should be a dynamic trio down the road. Then there's Luke K. Where does he fit in? But to me it is all up in the air until we see them play in the Big 12. I remember other players who looked really good on tape but did (not) pan out. I think the prospects and excitement for K-State hoops is on the rise. Now lets get a couple of great inside prospects and hope we can keep all of the guys here.
Last edited by katlander on October 2nd, 2019, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » October 2nd, 2019, 9:28 am

Sir Ocelot wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 7:47 pm
The future looks feline.
are you saying we're on the path to being the cat that ate the canaries?
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » October 2nd, 2019, 9:29 am

katlander wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 9:15 am
I also thought his passing really stood out in the video I watched. Not only his ability but his desire to set up his teammates. Hopefully he will be able to do it at the NCAA level with better talent, better defenses and a faster game. My guess is he will. Nigel Pack is also a great passer. Having Nigel at the point with Gordon and Miguel at the 2/3 should be a dynamic trio down the road. Then there's Luke K. Where does he fit in? But to me it is all up in the air until we see them play in the Big 12. I remember other players who looked really good on tape but did pan out. I think the prospects and excitement for K-State hoops is on the rise. Now lets get a couple of great inside prospects and hope we can keep all of the guys here.
I wouldn't sleep on Kasubke at all. He can straight out ball. I'm just as high on him as I am the others. There will be a 5-6 player rotation in the backcourt and I fully expect these 4 to be in it. Bruce has shown that he is pretty good at evaluating Guard talent and coaching it up, so I think we'll be fine for the next few years in the backcourt. Bigmen on the other hand, he's not done so well with(excluding Dean). Let's hope he can figure that out.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » October 2nd, 2019, 10:40 am

bhoovy wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 8:46 am
Gor you beat me to it. Fighting over who is the better player, not because we’re not sure we have much talent as in some years past, but because we have some real legit talent thanks to what Dean, Barry and Kamau started.
although i agree with what you say here, i also believe thanks should be given to wes iwundu for deciding to stay at k-state and turn himself into a pro. he was really the first guy up bringing coach weber through the marcus foster storm.
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » October 2nd, 2019, 11:13 am

tmcats wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 10:40 am
bhoovy wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 8:46 am
although i agree with what you say here, i also believe thanks should be given to wes iwundu for deciding to stay at k-state and turn himself into a pro. he was really the first guy up bringing coach weber through the marcus foster storm.
From what I understand special thanks should go to Iwundu's Mom.

learnin

Post by learnin » October 2nd, 2019, 11:26 am

Finally, it seems as if we have obtained some luxury. Luxury will provide us with many options if we can keep everyone happy. This can be done, With our defensive mindset, keep bringing in fresh bodies and wear em down.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » October 2nd, 2019, 12:06 pm

katlander wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 9:15 am
I also thought his passing really stood out in the video I watched. Not only his ability but his desire to set up his teammates. Hopefully he will be able to do it at the NCAA level with better talent, better defenses and a faster game. My guess is he will. Nigel Pack is also a great passer. Having Nigel at the point with Gordon and Miguel at the 2/3 should be a dynamic trio down the road. Then there's Luke K. Where does he fit in? But to me it is all up in the air until we see them play in the Big 12. I remember other players who looked really good on tape but did pan out. I think the prospects and excitement for K-State hoops is on the rise. Now lets get a couple of great inside prospects and hope we can keep all of the guys here.
Some of the gurus who are familiar with Miguel's game are saying that he can play the 2-4 because he can defend against many college level fours. You may see Pack, Gordon, Kasubke, and Miguel on the court at the same time.