recruiting is blowing a hole in the haters' argument that ...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

recruiting is blowing a hole in the haters' argument that ...

Post by tmcats » September 5th, 2019, 4:37 pm

yeah, weber won with dean wade. but wade was always a k-state commit. there aren't any dean wades out there in wheatfields waiting to come here. once wade and brown are gone, bruce is in deep trouble. i've heard that from 'the cult' led by fitz not long ago. well, it seems weber has taken the e8 run, the b12 championship, and the usa triumph to winning kids to emaw. any holes in my sightline? ;-)
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » September 5th, 2019, 6:13 pm

tmcats wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 4:37 pm
yeah, weber won with dean wade. but wade was always a k-state commit. there aren't any dean wades out there in wheatfields waiting to come here. once wade and brown are gone, bruce is in deep trouble. i've heard that from 'the cult' led by fitz not long ago. well, it seems weber has taken the e8 run, the b12 championship, and the usa triumph to winning kids to emaw. any holes in my sightline? ;-)
To be honest, it's TBD. Sure, these kids are more highly rated (I'm extremely excited for Pack!!!), but ratings are just that, & stars do not mean a thing once the kids get on the court. The last few KSU teams have proven that.

That's the only holes in your sightline that I can see. :D I've always said, no HC works harder at recruiting than Bruce and it does seem that we are beginning to see the fruits of his labors (at least ratings wise). I'll say it again here...Can someone get the coaches a private jet!?!?!!!

I watched someone like Malek Harris who was rated a 4* (around 75 in the country) and I couldn't fathom for the life of me understand where he got rated that highly. Then you see Dean & Barry & all of the services missed on them. They can be called late bloomers, or developed by the staff, but whatever people say, they excelled at KSU!

With Pack & Kasubke, & whoever completes the class, I really hope these kids are still under-rated, & play like top 50 kids from day 1. Could certainly make a special 4 years.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » September 5th, 2019, 6:32 pm

No holes in your sight line. But as Jokko said, they still have to produce at a high level. Should be a lot of fun seeing what the four guys this year can do and then what the guys for next year can do. Some may fail. Some may be better than expected. Regardless, I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » September 5th, 2019, 7:56 pm

We don't seem to be taking project players to fill a scholarship and then needing to hope that they can somehow succeed in a high-major.

For example - Jack Karepytian, Mike Orris, Brian Patrick, Ron Freeman, Dante Williams (I still have hope for James and Nigel).

And we don't seem to need to have walk-on players play rotation minutes,

It is nice to see very good recruiting. KSU will never get the one-year players but we will continue to do well if staff can continue to recruit the 50 - 150 range players.

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » September 5th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Sir Ocelot wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 7:56 pm
We don't seem to be taking project players to fill a scholarship and then needing to hope that they can somehow succeed in a high-major.

For example - Jack Karepytian, Mike Orris, Brian Patrick, Ron Freeman, Dante Williams (I still have hope for James and Nigel).

It is nice to see very good recruiting. KSU will never get the one-year players but we will continue to do well if staff can continue to recruit the 50 - 150 range players.
Goodnews was a filler/project. I actually think he worked out perfect though...giving a couple months of practice & then leaving, thus opening a spot to recruit players that may contribute before their SR year.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » September 5th, 2019, 9:46 pm

If Weber can get the roster balanced and can keep getting those 100-150 kids, he should really do fine. That way the new kids coming in don't have to provide a lot of production but still get minutes.

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » September 5th, 2019, 10:03 pm

From a pure recruiting standpoint, we look to be in good shape. We have a roster full of legitimate power 5 type players for the first time in a long time. But what made us into a tournament team the last three years was what key players did once they got here. Wes, Barry, Dean, & Kam stayed 4 years and got better every year. They were all hard workers, competitors, and winners. We don’t know if these young guys have that or not. We beat the doors off of a lot of teams with a lot higher ranked recruits than us the last few years. But if SNW, this year’s freshmen and next year’s newcomers have the kind of drive and character that we’ve had in recent upperclassmen, the future looks bright indeed.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » September 6th, 2019, 8:36 am

JOKKO wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 9:45 pm
Sir Ocelot wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Goodnews was a filler/project. I actually think he worked out perfect though...giving a couple months of practice & then leaving, thus opening a spot to recruit players that may contribute before their SR year.

But I still get a kick out of how some people will still gripe and moan even if we don't land one of those "filler" kids. I am thinking mainly back to Caleb Grill. We had already signed a good class with Gordonx2, Murphy, etc and yet when Grill became available and then signed with ISU, mainly because we signed the juco PG, some on this board ripped Weber for not being able to close the deal with Grill or the kid from Vegas that went to UNLV, when in reality, I think it was a deal where we offered Sloan and Grill and said, "first one to accept is our guy." But that didn't stop folks from accusing our staff of not being able to close the deal. Just really made me chuckle when I read the bio on Kasubke and he just sounds like a better version of Grill, 6'5" bouncy and a deadly shooter. Not saying he will be better than Grill, but he is considered a much better recruit than Grill. Sometimes people just need to not be quite so short-sighted. The staff has been on Kasubke hard for a long time and if you asked them, I guarantee they would rather have him than Grill.

Recruiting is such a goofy and fluid situation, best to just roll with it most of the time.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » September 6th, 2019, 8:57 am

I like the recruiting right now, at least on paper. It's very refreshing to see 1st choice targets like Nigel and Luke, commit, as that has been a rarity in the past. Ridding of the filler scholarships and "multiple" project bigs recruiting is a nice. It's something Weber should be able to do.. and he's currently doing it.

In his time as KSU, Bruce has been pretty good at evaluating guard talent and getting them to meet their potential on the court. But the opposite can be said for Bigmen. Dean was the exception, though i'm not sure Weber really did him a ton of favors in reaching his potential, as Dean had all the talent in the world. Finding bigmen is what will be the difference in a title contender team vs a middle of the pack team, and is why a lot of talking heads talk about KSU with some skepticism, post Dean Wade.

Can Weber recruit and sign bigmen who will excel at KSU and become Top 1/3 quality bigmen in the Big12 by their JR year? That remains to be seen. But signing 4 Top150 players in the last 2 classes is a big step in the right direction. Hopefully we can get a Top150 bigman in the 2020 class as well.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » September 6th, 2019, 9:30 am

I was thinking the same thing in regards to Luke Kasubke and Caleb Grill. Both are similar players, but Kasubke seems like the better recruit.. being 2-3" taller and appears to be a better shooter from long range. I'm sure those 2 will battle it out over the coming years.