Article On Iwundus Progress at Orlando

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
xtrawildcat

Article On Iwundus Progress at Orlando

Post by xtrawildcat » May 23rd, 2019, 9:42 pm

Another example of the value of aa shooting coach.
Weber should have Shane Southwell visit and study elite shooting coaches, get him trained up and then give him the responsibility and let him run with it along with his other duties.

https://www.nba.com/magic/iwundu-made-i ... n-20190523

Though widely heralded for his abilities as an elite-level defender (more on that later), Iwundu’s biggest growth this season came on the offensive end. A shaky shooter who would often shy away from even attempting open 3-point looks as a rookie, Iwundu grew so much this season that he made 3-pointers in three of the Magic’s five playoff games against the Toronto Raptors. With a big assist from Magic assistant coach Bruce Kreutzer, Iwundu went from 19.6 percent to 36.7 percent success rate from 3-point range in Year 2 of his NBA career.

``He’s very behind the scenes, but much of the credit goes to Bruce because he’s the only shooting coach that we have and he’s helped all 15 guys,’’ Iwundu said of Kreutzer, who he regularly worked with hours before practice on a daily basis. ``For him to be tuned with each and every guy and know what we need to work on to get better, much credit to him. He does so much behind the scenes, but it gets us better. My shooting percentages rose this year, and that’s just from working with Bruce and I’m exciting going forward. The consistent work that we put in, he got me to this point and it’s something to keep building off of.’’

Regarding Iwundus defense.
Iwundu’s effectiveness on the defensive end of the floor was quite apparent when coaches analyzed the raw data from Magic games. The numbers were downright impressive, especially considering that Iwundu spent time during the season checking stars such as LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, James Harden, Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Jayson Tatum and others.

Among players to contest at least 400 shots during the regular season, Iwundu ranked first on the Magic and fifth overall in the NBA in field goal percentage allowed at 40.5 percent. That put him in the same company as Milwaukee superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo (40.1 percent allowed), Denver’s Torrey Craig (39.8 percent allowed), Toronto’s Pascal Siakam (39.7 percent allowed) and Miami’s Derrick Jones Jr. (39.1 percent allowed).

``That was a big accomplishment for me on the defensive end and my confidence on that end is high,’’ Iwundu said. ``I always want to try and get in there and shake things up. It’s just a special part of my game and it’s something I want to build off.’’

Iwundu has a team option on his contract for next season, and the Magic are almost certain to exercise that option considering the way his game is trending

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » May 23rd, 2019, 10:12 pm

Nice. His decision to stay at K-State, with strong encouragement from his Mother, has paid huge dividends.