Recruiting Thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
stlcatfan

Re: Recruiting Thread

Post by stlcatfan » February 4th, 2024, 9:07 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
February 4th, 2024, 8:47 am
On a number of occasions we have supposedly made the final lists of some highly rated recruits and transfers, but lose out. Why? I see these players having impact at their new teams. IMO until we start landing impact players, we will have teams like we have now, decent but not special. I have faith in time we will build a solid program that will have the success we crave if the gives Coach Tang time to build and the Administration doesn't interfere.
This is mostly guessing on my part, but I think what is happening is that some teams are swooping in and offering players big NIL money up front, while Coach Tang does NIL money more in line with how it was intended.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 2):
randallcat85SCKSCat
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » February 4th, 2024, 10:48 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
February 4th, 2024, 9:07 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
February 4th, 2024, 8:47 am
On a number of occasions we have supposedly made the final lists of some highly rated recruits and transfers, but lose out. Why? I see these players having impact at their new teams. IMO until we start landing impact players, we will have teams like we have now, decent but not special. I have faith in time we will build a solid program that will have the success we crave if the gives Coach Tang time to build and the Administration doesn't interfere.
This is mostly guessing on my part, but I think what is happening is that some teams are swooping in and offering players big NIL money up front, while Coach Tang does NIL money more in line with how it was intended.
NIL was never intended to be inexorably linked to a recruit signing or not signing. This whole situation with NIL is devolving into an unsustainable system. The halves & the havle nots are very apparent among conference members & amongst various Power 5 Conferences (namely the SEC & B1G). I don't know what will happen, but there has to be some rules & guidelines set up to rectify the NIL Nightmare, before college athletics is destroyed completly.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post (total 3):
randallcat85stlcatfanSection 12-2

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » February 5th, 2024, 1:34 am

NIL plus the transfer rules make it a lot more difficult for a fan to identify with the players. Part of the fun used to be seeing players progress through their time at a school. It's not that I'm against players being able to transfer when the the coaches can change jobs. It just takes some of the fun out of college sports when the players that you see on your team this year may be almost all gone next year.
These users thanked the author Sir Ocelot for the post (total 3):
randallcat85stlcatfanKralicek

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » February 13th, 2024, 6:14 pm

I wonder what is happening with recruiting in the background. I bet Tang and the Gang have learned to keep quiet about recruiting and portaling so some SOB program like Duke won't come swooping with bag or money an take a prospect.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
stlcatfan

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 13th, 2024, 7:11 pm

Right, we don't want to get NGONGBA'D again.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 3):
SCKSCatstlcatfanrandallcat85

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » February 14th, 2024, 8:40 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
February 13th, 2024, 6:14 pm
I wonder what is happening with recruiting in the background. I bet Tang and the Gang have learned to keep quiet about recruiting and portaling so some SOB program like Duke won't come swooping with bag or money an take a prospect.
I wish the KSU program could keep everything on the down low, SCKSCat. But with today's hyperfocused recruiting services, On3, 24/7 etc. Recruits names are just going to get out there. Those services contact the recruits also to see what schools are offering, staying in contact, etc. So it's a lot more transparent on the recruiting front than it used to be.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post:
randallcat85

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » February 18th, 2024, 6:54 am

Bringing talent to K State.
Our coach and staff are touted as top talent brngers.
Really..... hmm
randallcat85

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » February 18th, 2024, 7:34 am

SCKSCat wrote:
February 18th, 2024, 6:54 am
Really..... hmm
https://247sports.com/college/kansas-st ... l/Commits/
All 4- star recruits and transfers. Castillo is another 4-star and the number 1 player in Kansas this season.

Of course, in Tang's first season, he was able to land guys like Cam Carter (another 4-star), Keyontae, and Tomlin.

I think Coach Tang is bringing in the talent. Of course, there have been misses, like any coach has dealt with. How much of that was due to NIL money? There were some talented transfers that were looking at coming here until other teams swooped in with big NIL $$$.

And I know we have talked about it before, but what if we had Tomlin and a healthy Glover all season? I think we have at least 3 more wins and are talking about where we will be seeded in the Tourney and not if we will even make the Tourney. JMO.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 2):
randallcat85pharaohcat
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » February 18th, 2024, 7:38 am

SCKSCat wrote:
February 18th, 2024, 6:54 am
Really..... hmm
I think yes. In time, our freshmen should be fine.
Carter, N'Guessan, Colbert will make a good nucleus for next.
I hope Kaluma returns, but I have my doubts he will.
We need to get bigger and more athletic, and get a real point guard that is tall.
randallcat85

pharaohcat

Post by pharaohcat » February 18th, 2024, 2:15 pm

Add to these3 Finister and the freshmen and I think you have a very good start. We do need to pick up a true point and another good big, I am sure Coach Tang is aware of this.
These users thanked the author pharaohcat for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85