Recruiting Thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
SCKSCat

Re: Recruiting Thread

Post by SCKSCat » April 24th, 2024, 7:51 am

KU's recruit Philmon is asking for a release fron his National Letter of Intent.
The Coach has not left and there are no really big changes in the program.
I have not heard anything about the player having circumstances in their life that warrants a release

I am an old hard ass. I would tell the kid no to a release. But now there is a board that will override any such decision and allow a kid to transfer. No wonder coaches are getting players from the portal and not High Schools or the AAU or prep school semi pro programs.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
randallcat85

Orion12521

Post by Orion12521 » April 24th, 2024, 9:28 am

So a little bit of connecting the dots here and I think it might be interesting to see how it plays out...

The FTC yesterday, issued rules banning non-competes. I don't think it is too much of a stretch to think it could apply to student athletes. The reason we have the current structure of NIL is because the courts ruled that the NCAA and schools cannot restrict a student's ability to earn. To me, a Letter of Intent may have a different name, but it is essentially a non-compete. Allowing the school to affect a player's ability to go elsewhere and earn, seems to be at odds with the ideas that brought us NIL and this non-compete ban.
These users thanked the author Orion12521 for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85