'77 Regional Final loss

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
ksuatheart

'77 Regional Final loss

Post by ksuatheart » December 15th, 2017, 9:56 pm

So, I ran into Darryl Winston today (had actually seen him several times the last few months, but he introduced himself today. He works at the 37th St Y in SW Topeka). He mentioned the shot in that concluded the loss against Marquette in '77 that kept us out of the Final 4.

From Newspapers.com (had to do the paragraph breaks myself.
Call knocks Cats out of NCAA again
By DAVE WRIGHT Mercury Sports Editor
OKLAHOMA CITY Okla.-For the second time In three years, Kansas State has been ousted from the NCAA tournament under a cloud of controversy. Two years ago, it was a disputed traveling call that let Syracuse tie the game and then go on and win the East Regional at Providence.

Thursday night, it was a disputed call on Wildcat center Darryl Winston that allowed seventh-ranked Marquette to slip by K-State 67-66 in the Midwest Regional here. The play came after the Warriors had overcome a 10-point Wildcat lead with 10 minutes left and had gone ahead 67-64. But Winston appeared to have pulled the Cats back even with 10 seconds left. He made a miraculous tip of a missed Mike Evans shot and was fouled by Marquette's Bo Ellis is the process. But official Frank Buckiewicz of the Pacific Eight conference disallowed the basket under a rule which says a player must have full possession of the ball in order for the basket to count when he's fouled on the tip in.

"I went up with both hands but then t saw 1 couldn't get it and tipped it in with one hand," Winston said. "But 1 felt I tipped the ball before the man fouled me." Winston was even more sure of his stand later in the evening after he had watched a couple of re-runs of the play on a television newscast. "The ball was out of my hand and in the cyclinder (above the basket) when he fouled me," Winson said. "I watched it twice."

Wildcat coach Jack Hartman had much the same feeling immediately following the game. "They said the shot wasn't a shot but a tip," Hartman said. "We were interested in when the fouled happened in relevance to the tip." Ellis didn't think a foul should have been called at all.

"I thought he (Winston) pushed me away," Ellis said. "I went straight up . . .

McGuire gripes on about officiating
Mercury News Servicr OKLAHMOMA CITY, Okla.—
Although Kansas State had the legitimate grip about the officiating, Marquette coach Al McGuire was screaming about the technical foul he was whistled for with 11:56 left in the Warriors 67-66 victory over Kansas State Thursday night in the NCAA Midwest Regional. Nobody had even asked a question at his post-game press conference when started on his tirades.

"I've kept quiet for 10 years," said McGuire who is retiring at the end of this season. "The NCAA keeps pulling this crap, and that's what it is. That's what happens when you come to the NCAA and that's one reason why I'm never going to coach in the NCAA again. I've only got one technical this year and I don't coach any differently here than in any other game." McGuire is super sensitive on the subject that technical fouls have hurt his teams chances of an NCAA championship in the last couple of years. McGuire claims he got the technical when he made a hand motion to his throat, emphasizing according to him, that Kansas State was chocking and should be taken advantage of. "They're competent officials or they wouldn't be here," McGuire said. "But the guy called the technical foul because I was talking to my team. The only way he can do that is if he's been brainwashed to watch out for me. There's to many smoke filled rooms or something where all these things are decided."

But then that's Al McGuire. If you wanted to find out about the game, forget it.

section12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by section12 » December 15th, 2017, 10:45 pm

That game was kind of strange. I don't think KSU played its best game. But man that was one fun team to watch. I thought at the time that Winston was fouled after the shot but then again I am biased. I am glad that Winston is working with kids. I'll bet he does a good job.
And to be a little melancholy, i wonder what that team would have been like if Dean Harris had lived.

kinsleycat

Post by kinsleycat » December 15th, 2017, 10:45 pm

:banghead: I'll never forget that call. Darryl Winston is absolutely correct. I was jumping up and down when he tipped in Mike''s shot and was fouled by Ellis. I was sure we were going to the final four. And then they took the bucket away and we lose by one point on a terrible call. I still believe it was because it was Al McGuire's swan song and they had that all-american point guard Butch Lee. What a huge KITN that game turned out to be. Marquette ended up winning the national championship that year. :banghead:

bigpurpleman

Post by bigpurpleman » December 16th, 2017, 7:32 am

That loss lingered for weeks. I felt worse after that game than i did after the conf championship game loss against TAM.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » December 16th, 2017, 8:39 am

The ruling at the time was absolutely correct. BUT guess what? The next year came the original K-State rule--a tip was consisdered the same as a shot.

bindweed

Post by bindweed » December 16th, 2017, 9:50 am

The Force

WichitaCat

Post by WichitaCat » December 16th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Anyone know if there are any archived videos of that game or even just that play?

wazucat

Post by wazucat » December 16th, 2017, 2:31 pm

bigpurpleman wrote:That loss lingered for weeks. I felt worse after that game than i did after the conf championship game loss against TAM.
IMO nothing in my lifetime of KSU sports, started in the Tex Winter/Doug Weaver era, is worse than losing to A&M in '98. Losing to the squawks in Pontiac , MI in '88 hurt me more than the Daryl tip game.

kinsleycat

Post by kinsleycat » December 16th, 2017, 5:50 pm

[quote="hilltopwildcat"]The ruling at the time was absolutely correct. BUT guess what? The next year came the original K-State rule--a tip was consisdered the same as a shot.[/quote

Can't agree. IMO, the tip in should have counted and a free throw for Winston.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » December 16th, 2017, 8:14 pm

As I recall it was not a bad call. It was a correct call. But the tip in call was not made against anyone any where in college basketball. This ref just happened to make the call to affect the outcome of the game.