RJ Jones - GONE

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: RJ Jones - GONE

Post by tmcats » April 25th, 2024, 4:03 pm

randallcat85 wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 3:51 pm
So...with this "changing as often as many times the "Student Athlete" desires and be immediately eligible to play"... are the schools still at all involved with requiring that this new "Student Athlete" is actually eligible under the school's academic requirements? I just wonder because it seems like it would be difficult for these frequent to be eligible for enrollment at some of these "fine" Academic Institutions🤷‍♂️
i think for many academics don't matter anymore. here, i believe k-state didn't academically qualify a high level juco d'lineman recruit at the start of spring semester and he left.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85
Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 25th, 2024, 4:40 pm

randallcat85 wrote:
So...with this "changing as often as many times the "Student Athlete" desires and be immediately eligible to play"... are the schools still at all involved with requiring that this new "Student Athlete" is actually eligible under the school's academic requirements? I just wonder because it seems like it would be difficult for these frequent to be eligible for enrollment at some of these "fine" Academic Institutions🤷‍♂️
What I meant by that was it used to be that if an athlete transferred to another school, he/she had to sit out a year. Then it was loosened up a little bit so that the student-athlete didn't have to sit out after the first transfer. Now the NCAA (because of court rulings) have made it so that an athlete can transfer as many times as they want without being forced to sit out a year.

However, like tmcats said, individual schools may have their own academic qualification requirements.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 25th, 2024, 4:45 pm

Jones needs to go to a school like a Wichita State. Where he can be a big fish and get a resume to go after NIL.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
randallcat85

randallcat85

Post by randallcat85 » April 25th, 2024, 5:23 pm

Thanks for reply TM & STL.
This is what a would expect from Coach K and all KSU coaches as these rules to qualify for being a transfer student at a school one had to meet certain items (e.g. minimal hours completed, minimal GPA or completion of JuCo degree, etc) My question was more directed at schools other than KSU and wondering how on earth these multi school multi transfer guys have any shot of meeting any standards. OR are these schools going to bow to the NIL gods and if NIL gods bless the "student athlete" with $BIG NIL $s - AND this particular NIL "investor" is a major donor to the university and here's my NIL athlete, register him and put him on the team or I stop donations to the university. Will that student "automatically " qualify for regisyration?
I am betting Yes. But if your kid is NOT a student athlete and wanted to transfer schools year to year, they may be able to transfer but hours transferred willbe nominal AND they would have to meet other guidelines. Many efucational transfer students are essentially forced to "sit out a year" of earning because of limited transfer of classes, etc.
Anyway, I really feel like the sports programs, with those current NIL rules, should be completely separated from university affiliation and funding and just become the "new" professional minor leagues.
These users thanked the author randallcat85 for the post (total 3):
KralicekstlcatfanSir Ocelot

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 25th, 2024, 6:17 pm

randallcat85 wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 5:23 pm

Anyway, I really feel like the sports programs, with those current NIL rules, should be completely separated from university affiliation and funding and just become the "new" professional minor leagues.
I think this is where things are heading. I'm still holding out hope that if/when the Big Ten and SEC break away from the NCAA, all this stuff will go with them and the rest of the schools can get back to playing college (not semi-pro) sports. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. ;-)
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 3):
Section 12-2randallcat85catalyst

Sir Ocelot

Post by Sir Ocelot » April 25th, 2024, 7:46 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 6:17 pm
randallcat85 wrote:

I think this is where things are heading. I'm still holding out hope that if/when the Big Ten and SEC break away from the NCAA, all this stuff will go with them and the rest of the schools can get back to playing college (not semi-pro) sports. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. ;-)
I wish that I thought that you are right.
These users thanked the author Sir Ocelot for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

The Tulsa Cat

Post by The Tulsa Cat » April 25th, 2024, 8:31 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
randallcat85 wrote:
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. ;-)
Would make a good song lyric. 😉
These users thanked the author The Tulsa Cat for the post:
randallcat85
Still the original Tulsacat. Just newer. :powercat:

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 25th, 2024, 8:50 pm

The Tulsa Cat wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 8:31 pm
stlcatfan wrote:

Would make a good song lyric. 😉
I imagine you're right. :)
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » April 26th, 2024, 4:16 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 4:03 pm
randallcat85 wrote:
i think for many academics don't matter anymore. here, i believe k-state didn't academically qualify a high level juco d'lineman recruit at the start of spring semester and he left.
I do not think academics is a priority for a lot of athletes. Certainly not all.
Been that way forever.. I bet the juco transcripts of Snyder recruits were interesting.
At least now coaches put on a good front with tutors and mandatory study halls.

But the online classes certainly make me question some of what happens now. I bet very few players in their last semester ever see a class room. Johnny Furphee in Australia while class is in session at KU. Wonder if he has been in Lawrence at all since the season ended.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 26th, 2024, 6:53 pm

These players who transfer 3 to 4 times I wonder how many hours do not transfer.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan