nit thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
pulitzerdavid

Re: nit thread

Post by pulitzerdavid » March 19th, 2024, 11:49 pm

Iowa handled KSU's defense tonight with team work and surgical passing. They have better shooters, and a better offensive scheme. They are the better team. KSU played a sloppy offensive game and tried to rely on their supposed edge in athletic ability, but that wasn't apparent. Iowa matched KSU athletically and for much of the game was quicker and more decisive in their decision making. KSU played like they were in a pick-up game at the YMCA. There's something to be said for teams that play with a higher basketball IQ. They will almost always beat you.
"What other people think is none of my business" - Scotty Scheffler, Masters Champion. Great advice Scotty.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » March 20th, 2024, 12:06 am

KSU could have executed plays better and played a more complete game with less turn overs, shooting FTs better, etc. Yes - missed opportunities. But as mentioned during the game - Iowa had their sharp shooter that was "on" tonight, and KSU's sharp shooter wasn't. It's just that simple. Perry was 2-13 overall shooting, and 2-12 behind the arc. That's under 17%. Sandfort was 9-14 overall and 7-11 from behind the arc. That's about 64%. That was the difference in the game. Both guys had open looks throughout the game. If Perry shoots about 40% from behind the arc, its a tie game even with Sandfort being lights out. Sandfort shot lights out, Perry didn't. Still love the kid. It happens. Guys have cold nights shooting. Iowa was 48% from 3 pt range. KSU was 27%. Ballgame. Need more options for elite scorers for when one of our dudes is having an off night. Aimes shot well, maybe he should have shot more than he did. Proud of the team. EMAW
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 2):
farrout10stlcatfan
EMAW

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » March 20th, 2024, 7:26 am

Tbonespop wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 12:06 am
KSU could have executed plays better and played a more complete game with less turn overs, shooting FTs better, etc. Yes - missed opportunities. But as mentioned during the game - Iowa had their sharp shooter that was "on" tonight, and KSU's sharp shooter wasn't. It's just that simple. Perry was 2-13 overall shooting, and 2-12 behind the arc. That's under 17%. Sandfort was 9-14 overall and 7-11 from behind the arc. That's about 64%. That was the difference in the game. Both guys had open looks throughout the game. If Perry shoots about 40% from behind the arc, its a tie game even with Sandfort being lights out. Sandfort shot lights out, Perry didn't. Still love the kid. It happens. Guys have cold nights shooting. Iowa was 48% from 3 pt range. KSU was 27%. Ballgame. Need more options for elite scorers for when one of our dudes is having an off night. Aimes shot well, maybe he should have shot more than he did. Proud of the team. EMAW
That describes what happened. It was pretty simple.

Our defense suffered a bit with Rich and Jones in the game.

Iowa played poor defense.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post:
Tbonespop

pulitzerdavid

Post by pulitzerdavid » March 20th, 2024, 8:07 am

This loss, which was the final nail in the coffin of a failed season, was not about their guy making shots and our guy not making shots. That's a ridiculous and false assessment of this basketball game, and a feeble excuse for losing this game.

Their guy made shots because he was wide open and basically unguarded, with the exception of one fade-away jump shot from the left baseline. Our guy didn't make shots because he was suffocated by Iowa's defense, led by their fine point guard Perkins. Aside from that, Iowa was the sharper team ... a better passing team ... a more disciplined team ... a better prepared team ... and a better coached team. Swallow hard and quit making excuses for this loss. These are all the many reasons why this team lost almost as many games as they won.

I don't know what kind of scouting report Tang and his assistants prepared for this game, but it was a failed one. So that part of it is on Tang.

And just maybe this team lacked a leader. I certainly didn't see one out there last night. Last year this team had two leaders. Boy, did we miss those kind of guys! Perry is not a leader, he's a gunner. Kaluma is not a leader, he's a pouter. Carter is not a leader, he's a turnover prone, erratic player. The only one who even comes close to being a leader is David N'Guessan, and he doesn't play enough.

Every team has their personnel issues and loses players, either to injury or to idiotic, self-inflicted circumstances, so I'm also tired of hearing excuses for not having a couple of players who would have made us "great". BS. Every team is dealt a certain hand and must play that hand. Why is this team given some kind of imagined handicap for who they are? Season over. One and done, not in the NCAA, but in the NIT. That says it all.
"What other people think is none of my business" - Scotty Scheffler, Masters Champion. Great advice Scotty.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » March 20th, 2024, 8:20 am

pulitzerdavid wrote:
March 19th, 2024, 11:49 pm
Iowa handled KSU's defense tonight with team work and surgical passing. They have better shooters, and a better offensive scheme. They are the better team. KSU played a sloppy offensive game and tried to rely on their supposed edge in athletic ability, but that wasn't apparent. Iowa matched KSU athletically and for much of the game was quicker and more decisive in their decision making. KSU played like they were in a pick-up game at the YMCA. There's something to be said for teams that play with a higher basketball IQ. They will almost always beat you.
PD, the 2024 Iowa/Nebraska style of basketball has a mediocre ceiling. I agree with your points that last night without time to prep KSU got cut up on the road. But I will take the Tang style because the high end ceiling is a national championship.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
stlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 20th, 2024, 11:06 am

here are my afterthoughts on this game and season:

1. how in the world could buddy not have seen the floor more - he was a tomcat last night until hurt - develop your jumper, please;
2. chicago's ames has game - he will be very good over the next three seasons, maybe jake like;
3. kaluma looked to have checked out - will lee redux to my eyes - mccullar in purple;
4. dng played with great energy - i hope he returns but not betting one way or the other;
5. cam carter is a role player - he'd make a solid sixth man on a good team;
6. r.j. jones is a shooter - hoping he turns into a maker next season because he has that scorer look;
7. tylor perry was a team low -14 on the not-play-hard-chart - fitting ending to a misplaced baller;
8. 22 to 8 free throw discrepancy is not a winning ratio - i didn't think the refs were awful, just bad;
9. #20 goes for 30 and 12 - some jaw-dropping game for that dude;
10. exacerbated afterwards, i said to her: i'm glad this season is over - find some dudes, coach - and go gals!

Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 20th, 2024, 11:20 am

tmcats wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 11:06 am
here are my afterthoughts on this game and season:

3. kaluma looked to have checked out - will lee redux to my eyes - mccullar in purple;

Sorry to hear that. I didn't watch the game, but maybe that's a sign he won't be back next season.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

topekacat

Post by topekacat » March 20th, 2024, 11:20 am

Tbonespop wrote:
March 19th, 2024, 10:26 pm
I like our young guys and the bigs we have coming back. Can't wait to see more of Rich next year! Need a few key players from the portal and this is a very competitive team next season. Love Coach Tang.
The problem is, with the transfer portal, we don't know and can't rely on who we think are coming back.
These users thanked the author topekacat for the post:
stlcatfan

sf2145

Post by sf2145 » March 20th, 2024, 12:16 pm

Need lots of work on passing skills to have the shooter receive the pass in the sweet spots.....

Bigs need to be able to shoot free throws better.....

Pre game Intel of opposing team players.

Less emphasis on emotions and more on fundamentals of the game...

Do not try to go faster than you can execute safely...
These users thanked the author sf2145 for the post:
stlcatfan

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » March 20th, 2024, 1:07 pm

pulitzerdavid wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 8:07 am
This loss, which was the final nail in the coffin of a failed season, was not about their guy making shots and our guy not making shots. That's a ridiculous and false assessment of this basketball game, and a feeble excuse for losing this game.

Their guy made shots because he was wide open and basically unguarded, with the exception of one fade-away jump shot from the left baseline. Our guy didn't make shots because he was suffocated by Iowa's defense, led by their fine point guard Perkins. Aside from that, Iowa was the sharper team ... a better passing team ... a more disciplined team ... a better prepared team ... and a better coached team. Swallow hard and quit making excuses for this loss. These are all the many reasons why this team lost almost as many games as they won.

I don't know what kind of scouting report Tang and his assistants prepared for this game, but it was a failed one. So that part of it is on Tang.

And just maybe this team lacked a leader. I certainly didn't see one out there last night. Last year this team had two leaders. Boy, did we miss those kind of guys! Perry is not a leader, he's a gunner. Kaluma is not a leader, he's a pouter. Carter is not a leader, he's a turnover prone, erratic player. The only one who even comes close to being a leader is David N'Guessan, and he doesn't play enough.

Every team has their personnel issues and loses players, either to injury or to idiotic, self-inflicted circumstances, so I'm also tired of hearing excuses for not having a couple of players who would have made us "great". BS. Every team is dealt a certain hand and must play that hand. Why is this team given some kind of imagined handicap for who they are? Season over. One and done, not in the NCAA, but in the NIT. That says it all.
You realize that Iowa had 13 tovs. Same number KState had.

We outscored Iowa 50 to 36 on two point shots. And shot 67% on those two point attempts.

Iowa State had some open three point shooters but so did KState. IE the ones that Jones and Carter missed.

The guy that went 7 for 11 was guarded just as close as Perry on his threes. Their guy is on a roll the last few games and should have been denied the ball like we did in the second half. So that was a coaching error that was corrected at half time.

KState had some breakdowns on defense. Partly due to playing Rich and Jones more minutes.

Perry was in a shooting funk the last two games. Shots he missed last night were just as open as the ones he made in last years NIT where he was the tourney MVP.

Overall, K State was an average team this year because they turned it over too much and did not shoot it efficiently from three. It is that simple. A better leader on the floor would not have changed that. Coaches should have corrected the tov issues in practice and game planning. And we should have recruited better and more consistent shooters.

But maybe Glover and Tomlin were those guys.
Tomlin shot 40% from three at Memphis with 1 tov per game.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanTbonespop