Crazy faith, Tang’s strong arguments why K State should be in the NCAA Tournament

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
katlander

Pick 'Em

Re: Crazy faith, Tang’s strong arguments why K State should be in the NCAA Tournament

Post by katlander » March 16th, 2024, 9:06 am

learnin wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 1:48 am
SCKSCat wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 10:16 pm
Post season is about Tang wanting to give back to us fans by getting the best result possible.
I honestly believe that he does not want to do well to bolster his ego or to build a resume or legacy, but truly cares more about others.
Tang is a servant and leader. His center is Christ and serving others.
As such he is more concerned about his players, his program, the University and fans than himself.
I know some of you don't understand and some think this BS.
BUT, Coach Tang is going to the mat in trying to persuade others as why we should be in the tournament. He could have politely admitted that he did not think we will be in the NCAA Tournament, but he went on a 4 minute heartfelt plea as to why we deserve to be in.
In or out, I am awed by his zeal and passion to get the best for his team.
We should be grateful that this special man is our head coach.
You have absolutely no clue as to what motivated Tang’s sales pitch. Did he make the pitch so that his players could enjoy the post season? Perhaps. But you better believe he made the pitch for his own benefit too. Every last human being is flawed and no one acts from completely pure motives all the time. We’re human. He’s not the first coach who has made the case for himself and his players. It happens every year. When he starts coaching for one hundred fifty thousand per year, I’ll be the first to call for his canonization.

It is very hard to know what goes on inside of any person. Hard to know their true motives and level of sincerity. I think it is hard to honestly know what anyone, including ourselves, would do in various situations. I think the best we can do is to try to do the right thing but we are all selfish and act out of self-interest.

You often hear individuals say that they did it for their family. But when you do it for your family is that not tantamount to doing it for yourself? When I see Tang advocating for his team I think it is for a variety of reasons. I think it is partially for his desire to be successful and back up his promises, partially for his coaches, quite a bit for the players who have come here with goals and expectations and for the fans who he needs to back him and fill The Bram. Also, he has to answer to Gene Taylor and the administration as a whole. Many experience a lot of the same concerns with our jobs and personal lives. Sometimes we make the Dance, other times we come up short. It's life.

I have liked all of our coaches except one. I support all of them. Is Tang a better person than Weber? I really don't know. I think he is a better salesman which helps recruiting. I trust that Tang will not violate the rules and not get K-State in hot water. I hope he will be able to navigate NIL and the other complexities of a changing playing field, and as I have done with all of our coaches I will hope that he has success.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanKralicek

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 16th, 2024, 1:04 pm

learnin wrote:
SCKSCat wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 10:16 pm
Post season is about Tang wanting to give back to us fans by getting the best result possible.
I honestly believe that he does not want to do well to bolster his ego or to build a resume or legacy, but truly cares more about others.
Tang is a servant and leader. His center is Christ and serving others.
As such he is more concerned about his players, his program, the University and fans than himself.
I know some of you don't understand and some think this BS.
BUT, Coach Tang is going to the mat in trying to persuade others as why we should be in the tournament. He could have politely admitted that he did not think we will be in the NCAA Tournament, but he went on a 4 minute heartfelt plea as to why we deserve to be in.
In or out, I am awed by his zeal and passion to get the best for his team.
We should be grateful that this special man is our head coach.
You have absolutely no clue as to what motivated Tang’s sales pitch. Did he make the pitch so that his players could enjoy the post season? Perhaps. But you better believe he made the pitch for his own benefit too. Every last human being is flawed and no one acts from completely pure motives all the time. We’re human. He’s not the first coach who has made the case for himself and his players. It happens every year. When he starts coaching for one hundred fifty thousand per year, I’ll be the first to call for his canonization.
i know of no human being who doesn't act in his/her self-interests. maybe sister mary teresa of calcuta was the last to be amongst the lepers. she grew old tending their needs, founding an order, winning the nobel peace prize. but even she did it to be closer to god, her self-interest.

we want people acting in their self-interests. it motivates them to excel. for a coach to excel, his team must first. exactly what drives or motivates many successful people is their fear of failure, i.e. acting in their self-interest. all hail, self-interest in a free society.

Why is there something rather than nothing?

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » March 16th, 2024, 1:45 pm

katlander wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 9:06 am
learnin wrote:

It is very hard to know what goes on inside of any person. Hard to know their true motives and level of sincerity. I think it is hard to honestly know what anyone, including ourselves, would do in various situations. I think the best we can do is to try to do the right thing but we are all selfish and act out of self-interest.

You often hear individuals say that they did it for their family. But when you do it for your family is that not tantamount to doing it for yourself? When I see Tang advocating for his team I think it is for a variety of reasons. I think it is partially for his desire to be successful and back up his promises, partially for his coaches, quite a bit for the players who have come here with goals and expectations and for the fans who he needs to back him and fill The Bram. Also, he has to answer to Gene Taylor and the administration as a whole. Many experience a lot of the same concerns with our jobs and personal lives. Sometimes we make the Dance, other times we come up short. It's life.

I have liked all of our coaches except one. I support all of them. Is Tang a better person than Weber? I really don't know. I think he is a better salesman which helps recruiting. I trust that Tang will not violate the rules and not get K-State in hot water. I hope he will be able to navigate NIL and the other complexities of a changing playing field, and as I have done with all of our coaches I will hope that he has success.
I have no idea what goes on in someone's mind.
But I think I know what goes on in the heart of a Christian man.
During my professional career I helped communities in KS secure over 500 million for infrastructure projects. I had a comfortable wage, but never got rich. I could have gotten more money in other jobs or even in management positions in my organization. But I felt in my heart that I was where God wantied me, and that my purpose was to help others. I am sure some people think serving others as result of your faith is horse shit. That is fine. I have heard Coach Tang say that he is thankful that his Lord put him in his position to serve. I understand where he is coming from and expressed my sentiments. If anyone desires to belittle and scoff at another's faith they can do so in this in America. Hopefully, the desire to see this program do well is the commonality that all K State fans can agree on and bring us all together despite of our inddividual beliefs and life circumstances.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanKSUbetcha

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » March 16th, 2024, 1:46 pm

Coach of Kansas State made a good pitch on why Kstate should be in the tourney. Did such a good job, I made a glass half empty relative listen to it.

Debate should be on the merits of Tangs arguments. I can not understand why anybody would question his motives as they are numerous and quite obvious.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post (total 3):
pharaohcatSection 12-2Tbonespop

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » March 16th, 2024, 2:45 pm

I was of the belief that we needed to get 20 wins overall and be .500 in conference. We were 1 win short of that. We did have some nice resume building wins for sure. We were very close to OU and we split our games with them this year, then we played better and went further in the B12 tournament. I think there is a compelling argument to make the tournament. That said, we're not playing good enough (or consistent enough) basketball to make a run much further than the 2nd round. I hope we make it.
EMAW

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 16th, 2024, 2:57 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 1:04 pm
learnin wrote:

i know of no human being who doesn't act in his/her self-interests. maybe sister mary teresa of calcuta was the last to be amongst the lepers. she grew old tending their needs, founding an order, winning the nobel peace prize. but even she did it to be closer to god, her self-interest.

we want people acting in their self-interests. it motivates them to excel. for a coach to excel, his team must first. exactly what drives or motivates many successful people is their fear of failure, i.e. acting in their self-interest. all hail, self-interest in a free society.

Sadly, even Mother Teresa (aka, St. Teresa of Calcutta) was criticized by others -- usually by people who were ignorant of the work she and her sisters did, not only in India, but all throughout the world. She was the real deal. Of course, Jesus Himself was not without scrutiny during His time on Earth.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
tmcats
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » March 16th, 2024, 6:07 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 1:46 pm
Coach of Kansas State made a good pitch on why Kstate should be in the tourney. Did such a good job, I made a glass half empty relative listen to it.

Debate should be on the merits of Tangs arguments. I can not understand why anybody would question his motives as they are numerous and quite obvious.
Because some people (a couple in specific) place personal agendas above all else. Talk about selfish.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 16th, 2024, 6:24 pm

wild@nite wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 6:07 pm
xtrawildcat wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 1:46 pm

Because some people (a couple in specific) place personal agendas above all else. Talk about selfish.
I can understand why some people question Coach Tang's motives, especially his religious ones. We live in a world full of phonies and charlatans and it's easy to become cynical. Maybe I am just too naive and gullible, but I think (with all due respect to the naysayers) that Coach Tang is genuine in his faith and desire to help his players to become good young men. He sees coaching, first and foremost, as a ministry to players and fans alike. For example, look at how he was able to get the students to stop the eff KU chant in his first year here. Has he made mistakes along the way? Of course, and he likely would be the first to admit them. But he is also on his own path of growth as a head coach and I am confident he will learn from his mistakes. None of us are perfect, but hopefully all of us are working toward (a phrase that Coach Tang likes to use) "becoming the best version of ourselves."
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 2):
Puffdadpurplehairedladyx2
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » March 16th, 2024, 7:18 pm

FAU lost that may hurt.
Those Temple Catholics may put a kink in the crazy faith.

Lots of other unexpected conference tournaments result. Not good for K State chances
NC State beat North Carolina.
Ducks beat Colorado.
Big 12 might get just 7 in. It was nice to dream about getting in. Besides having faith Tang’s other mantra is to work harder to get better. I hope Tang and staff can put together an exceptional team for next year.
I would like to see us get 20 plus wins by playing in the NIT.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 17th, 2024, 1:10 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:18 pm
FAU lost that may hurt.
Those Temple Catholics may put a kink in the crazy faith.

Lots of other unexpected conference tournaments result. Not good for K State chances
NC State beat North Carolina.
Ducks beat Colorado.
Big 12 might get just 7 in. It was nice to dream about getting in. Besides having faith Tang’s other mantra is to work harder to get better. I hope Tang and staff can put together an exceptional team for next year.
I would like to see us get 20 plus wins by playing in the NIT.
temple is not a catholic school, dayton is though. :D
Why is there something rather than nothing?