Portal 2024

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
jeffmax26

Re: Portal 2024

Post by jeffmax26 » April 24th, 2024, 9:36 am

Losing RJ makes sense now.

I wonder what happened first...us going guard crazy or RJ expressing his intent to hit the portal?

So that leaves us with:

Guards: Ames, McDaniel, CJ Jones, Castillo and....MAYBE - Ques Glover

Forwards: Manning, Rich, N'Guessan

If Glover is gone, we need at least one more guard and a minimum of 3 forward/center types.

Assuming Glover is a gone, I see 6 more open scholarships. Sound right?
These users thanked the author jeffmax26 for the post (total 3):
stlcatfanSCKSCatrandallcat85

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 24th, 2024, 10:46 am

NEWS: Iowa State transfer forward Omaha Biliew, a former 5⭐️ recruit, has committed to Wake Forest, he tells @On3sports.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 24th, 2024, 10:50 am

2024 Top-35 recruit Labaron Philon has requested his release from his National Letter of Intent to Kansas and will reopen his recruitment, a source confirms to @On3Recruits.

Former Auburn commit that also considered Cincinnati, Alabama, and Ole Miss before picking Bill Self.

Just my guess, but he’s leaving because ku has been heavily in the portal recruiting players at his position and they’re still chasing more. They already have 3 and are now after a 4th, the kid from Dayton. These higher profile high school recruits may no longer be in the blue blood programs because blue bloods now want the experienced transfer and don’t want to spend time developing. Or that’s my take on it.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 24th, 2024, 11:07 am

bhoovy wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 10:50 am
2024 Top-35 recruit Labaron Philon has requested his release from his National Letter of Intent to Kansas and will reopen his recruitment, a source confirms to @On3Recruits.

These higher profile high school recruits may no longer be in the blue blood programs because blue bloods now want the experienced transfer and don’t want to spend time developing. Or that’s my take on it.
It's hard to blame them. You bring in a kid and develop him, only to lose him to another program. It reminds me of Major League Baseball in the 90s and early 2000s. The Royals were usually one of the worst teams so they would get the best draft picks and develop them, only to lose them three years later in free agency to the Yankees, Red Sox, etc.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
SCKSCat
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 24th, 2024, 2:09 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 5:16 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 8:02 pm
Rutgers transfer center Clifford Omoruyi is visiting Kansas State on Wednesday, he tells
@On3sports
Joe Tipton
Omonuyi and Battle will be visiting at the same time. Both played HS basketball in New Jersey. I think they are in the same class.
I just saw where we will be playing St. John's in NYC next season for the Big 12 vs. Big East Challenge. It may be a little thing, but we can let our NJ visitors know that we will be playing in NYC next season, where their family and friends can watch them play in person. :thumbsup:
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 2):
SCKSCatrandallcat85
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » April 24th, 2024, 2:43 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 2:09 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 5:16 pm

Omonuyi and Battle will be visiting at the same time. Both played HS basketball in New Jersey. I think they are in the same class.
I just saw where we will be playing St. John's in NYC next season for the Big 12 vs. Big East Challenge. It may be a little thing, but we can let our NJ visitors know that we will be playing in NYC next season, where their family and friends can watch them play in person. :thumbsup:
Basketball in the Big Apple? Sounds like fun... maybe Marquis Nowell will make an appearance if he's not playing for a pro-team in the US or Europe.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

learnin

Post by learnin » April 24th, 2024, 9:38 pm

The NIL should never have been permitted in college sports. A college education and a nice stipend should have sufficed. My post, about players wearing jerseys with the name of their employer on the jersey, was made tongue in cheek. But, by golly, it is only right. If the owner of a car dealership pays a player to commit to Dry Gulch, isn’t it more correct for that player to be wearing

ACME CARS

across his chest instead of Dry Gulch?

A college education with all the perks, and good spending money, should suffice. How to stop cheating? I’ve addressed this in the past.
Every University will be allowed only so many four and five star players on their roster in any given year. Now, let’s see who can really coach the game.
This brings me back to my first point on this matter, Every thing must have reasonable restraints and limits or madness follows. We’re never going to limit all cheating but there are ways to limit the advantage gained by cheating.
These users thanked the author learnin for the post:
randallcat85

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 24th, 2024, 10:29 pm

learnin wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 9:38 pm
The NIL should never have been permitted in college sports. A college education and a nice stipend should have sufficed. My post, about players wearing jerseys with the name of their employer on the jersey, was made tongue in cheek. But, by golly, it is only right. If the owner of a car dealership pays a player to commit to Dry Gulch, isn’t it more correct for that player to be wearing

ACME CARS

across his chest instead of Dry Gulch?

A college education with all the perks, and good spending money, should suffice. How to stop cheating? I’ve addressed this in the past.
Every University will be allowed only so many four and five star players on their roster in any given year. Now, let’s see who can really coach the game.
This brings me back to my first point on this matter, Every thing must have reasonable restraints and limits or madness follows. We’re never going to limit all cheating but there are ways to limit the advantage gained by cheating.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... _v._Alston
It is not like the College Presidents, ADs, and Coaches did not have time to counter NIL with a plan before the Supreme Court ruled. Geez the law suit took over a decade. Lawyers warned this was coming and everyone was too greedy to agree on anything.

In July 2009, Ed O'Bannon, a former basketball player for UCLA who was a starter on their 1995 national championship team and the NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player that year, filed a lawsuit against the NCAA and the Collegiate Licensing Company, alleging violations of the Sherman Antitrust Act and of actions that deprived him of his right of publicity.[9] He agreed to be the lead plaintiff after seeing his likeness from the 1995 championship team used in the EA Sports title NCAA Basketball 09 without his permission.

By the way the Supreme Court ruled 9-0. So this was not Left vs Right.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
randallcat85

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 24th, 2024, 11:47 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 11:07 am
bhoovy wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 10:50 am

These higher profile high school recruits may no longer be in the blue blood programs because blue bloods now want the experienced transfer and don’t want to spend time developing. Or that’s my take on it.
It's hard to blame them. You bring in a kid and develop him, only to lose him to another program. It reminds me of Major League Baseball in the 90s and early 2000s. The Royals were usually one of the worst teams so they would get the best draft picks and develop them, only to lose them three years later in free agency to the Yankees, Red Sox, etc.
This is a great viewpoint on what is happening in college basketball. We need to be the Boston team
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 25th, 2024, 12:53 pm

At the start of the week we had fall back options if Clifford Omoruyi chose some other program.
Okpara, Ohio State, has committed to Tennessee.
Aidoo, Tennessee, looks like he will go to Baylor.
Myles from Jackrabbit South Dakota has committed to UCLA.
Which seems to leave us competing with deep NIL pockets Alabama.
I am sure this all makes Omoruyi's agent giddy. With few options for big men left, the agent has LEVERAGE.

How much NIL goes to Omoruyi likely will have on the NIL deals the Collective can offer Battle, Baba Miller, and the Amarillo Assassin.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan