Portal 2024

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
stlcatfan

Re: Portal 2024

Post by stlcatfan » April 28th, 2024, 6:29 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
April 28th, 2024, 6:24 pm
I wonder if the problem is the portal or how AAU and elite prep schools are polluting the mindset of these kids. I am of the opinion that agents who get a % of a NIL deal are getting into the heads of these young men. It will be interesting to see where Ames lands. It doesn't seem any of our players who have transferred are any better off
I have a feeling that Ames will end up at a P6 school, but here he had already established himself and was getting PT. Why risk the unknown of the portal, unless someone was already in Dai Dai's ear before he left.
Last edited by stlcatfan on April 28th, 2024, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » April 28th, 2024, 6:29 pm

Kstates players Jones, Ames and Glover left because they have been recruited over. It is what it is.

We can like it or not. Maybe after Covid players go away, things will normalize a little.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post:
SCKSCat

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 28th, 2024, 6:30 pm

the joy of buying, the agony of being bought.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
SCKSCat
Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 28th, 2024, 6:40 pm

I think back to last season and what went wrong, compared to Coach Tang's first season and Elite 8 run. Yes, there were some exciting wins, but something seemed off about last season. Something was missing. I think a lot of it was leadership, or the lack thereof. Marquis was such a good leader and floor general. We lacked that last season. As much as we hate seeing players enter the portal, maybe the coaches felt a refresh was in order. As was mentioned, it seems that the last season's players are being recruited over and they see the handwriting on the wall. Hopefully, next year's squad with all of its new members will more resemble Coach Tang's first year team.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 28th, 2024, 7:32 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
April 28th, 2024, 6:40 pm
I think back to last season and what went wrong, compared to Coach Tang's first season and Elite 8 run. Yes, there were some exciting wins, but something seemed off about last season. Something was missing. I think a lot of it was leadership, or the lack thereof. Marquis was such a good leader and floor general. We lacked that last season. As much as we hate seeing players enter the portal, maybe the coaches felt a refresh was in order. As was mentioned, it seems that the last season's players are being recruited over and they see the handwriting on the wall. Hopefully, next year's squad with all of its new members will more resemble Coach Tang's first year team.
I encourage you to find Joe Tillery's twitter or Utube site and watch his video with Dug McDaniel. In my opinion he has the same "it" factor that Nowell had. I am sure this is why Tang was so excited to get him.
I saw some writer labeling incoming players as transfer recruits and HS recruits. I never have thought of transfers as recruits.
Poor kids agree to play for a school on certain expectations and conditions, and then they are altered when new portal recruits change them.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 28th, 2024, 7:52 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
April 28th, 2024, 4:36 pm
At this point, if I were a coach I'd just stop recruiting HS kids as the probability of transferring goes up significantly with the longer the eligibility. Losing Dai Dai frustrates me along with Jones is such a bummer. People need to realize that both these kids were in our top 5 all time recruits for KSU. That's how good these guys are going to be, but now we won't get to see it happen.

Again, everybody wants the NIL. To get the NIL, a guy has to boost his stats. Can't get the stats without the PT. None of this is promoting staying in school, getting a degree while being a student athlete. Its the worst system that could have ever been created. I put this in another thread, but its like AAU basketball + NBA free agency with no cap on $$. Coaches are trying to pursue players by "handlers" getting them interested with NIL $$.
I think I’d have to agree with you for the most part on stop recruiting HS players and focus on transfers. But while those guys were some of the highest ranked kids we’ve had, I’d have to pump the brakes a bit on saying that’s how good they are or are going to be. That is still to be determined. They could end up being very good or could be a Wally Judge or what was the 5 star centers name, Bennett or something like that. The latter didn’t do a thing that I recall and Judge was just a halfway serviceable big. Certainly not what eithers recruiting ranking projected.

But this is the new college basketball in the free transfer and PFP world, as I won’t call it NIL because very very few are truly being paid for their NIL, but are hired guns, pay for play. I don’t like it and I don’t think most, if not all on this board like it. But this is what our spineless ncaa governing body has given us. Because they don’t want to hold people and programs accountable for their actions, especially not the so-called blue bloods.

This isn’t sustainable. How long can it go? Who knows. But it is going to come crashing down at some point in the future. Right now everyone thinks they now can sign a few portal transfers and maybe make their team a final four team or a CFP team. But there’s going to be many that aren’t going to get much at all for their investment. How many years in a row will they be willing to throw dollars at players to finish .500 or lower and maybe not even play in the post season? Ku was a great example of spending a ton and getting bupkis. But they have history on their side thinking “we may have missed this year but we’re ku so we’ll get it next year”. What about the programs that don’t have much if any history? How many years in a row of getting bupkis for their PFP investment before those wells dry up and they move on to other things that give them more bang for their buck?

I’ll have a hard time not still turning on to watch the Cats and cheer for them to win. It’s what I’ve done for 3/4 of my life. But I won’t be the college football or basketball junkie I used to be and probably didn’t need to be even back then. But the game was a lot more pure back then and sports was my passion. Now it’s just becoming some morphed pro model, but also like some lab experiment gone bad with some beast that’s tearing our beloved games apart and seems like there’s no stopping it.
Last edited by bhoovy on April 28th, 2024, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 5):
TbonespopstlcatfankatlanderKraliceklearnin

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » April 28th, 2024, 8:42 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
April 28th, 2024, 6:29 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
April 28th, 2024, 6:24 pm
I wonder if the problem is the portal or how AAU and elite prep schools are polluting the mindset of these kids. I am of the opinion that agents who get a % of a NIL deal are getting into the heads of these young men. It will be interesting to see where Ames lands. It doesn't seem any of our players who have transferred are any better off
I have a feeling that Ames will end up at a P6 school, but here he had already established himself and was getting PT. Why risk the unknown of the portal, unless someone was already in Dai Dai's ear before he left.
I didn't hear the exact wording, but a buddy of mine was watching the draft and he heard Nick Sabin all but accidentally admit they were targeting kids from other programs during the season and enticing them to enter the portal so they could get them to Bama. Which is ironic given all the things he had to say on the way out. Its like if he can't have the pick of the litter and all the advantages in recruiting players to Bama, then he was taking his ball and going home. As soon as other programs were out recruiting them because they had equal or deeper pockets, he decides its time to hang it up. funny how that goes Nick....
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 4):
stlcatfanrandallcat85bhoovyKralicek
EMAW

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 29th, 2024, 9:03 am

According to the Wichita Eagle we have 5 scholarships available still.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
randallcat85

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 29th, 2024, 9:59 am

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 29th, 2024, 2:54 pm

Who is going to be the first school to sue a student athlete to return NIL money?

And in return which school will be sued first for NIL money by a student athlete?
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
randallcat85