COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
SCKSCat

Re: Portal 2024

Post by SCKSCat » April 26th, 2024, 7:00 pm

Derek Young
@DerekYoungKSO
·
1h
Arkansas transfer big Baye Fall will begin his Kansas State visit tonight. He is a former McDonald’s All-American and was one of the best prospects in his class, a top 5 center and former top recruit in Colorado. Enormous upside.

Interesting.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 26th, 2024, 7:05 pm

Heartland College Sports – An Independent Big 12 Today Blog | College Football News | Big 12 Today

BIG 12 NEWSKansas State Hosting Former McDonald’s All-American Center Baye Fall
ByJoe TilleryPosted on April 26, 2024
NCAA Basketball: Kansas at Kansas State
Jerome Tang and the Kansas State Wildcats are set to host Arkansas freshman center Baye Fall, a former McDonald’s All-American, on Friday night.

Fall committed to Arkansas in the Class of 2023, but after suiting up in limited games as a freshman, the Senegal native elected to enter his name into the transfer portal. News of the visit was first reported by K-State Online’s Derek Young.

Coming out of Accelerated Schools High School in the Class of 2023, Fall was listed as a four-star prospect by the 247Sports index and the nation’s 28th-ranked prospect. He also checked in as the fourth-ranked center in his class and the top-ranked player in the state of Colorado. As a freshman in 2023-24, Fall did not see the court much at Arkansas. In nine games played, Fall posted 0.8 points and 1.3 rebounds in just five minutes per contest.

Tang and the Wildcats were one of 19 teams to offer Fall after graduating high school alongside Kansas, Baylor, Auburn, Memphis, Oklahoma, Texas, Georgetown, USC, Arkansas, and more.

247Sports’ Adam Finkelstein evaluated Fall when coming out of high school, saying, “Fall is a physically gifted big man with size, length, athleticism, and mobility. He runs the floor extremely well, can slide his feet laterally, and is a bouncy leaper. His best potential lies on the defensive end of the floor, where he is already a high-level rim protector who can block shots on and off the ball. He also moves exceptionally well laterally for his size, allowing him rare versatility as a pick-and-roll defender who can even be switchable in certain situations
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » April 26th, 2024, 7:19 pm

I think Baba Miller is just checking out his options and waiting to see if we get a big man so he doesn't have to play the post.
These users thanked the author bigdeal for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 27th, 2024, 11:15 am

coach tang has been quoted as saying he wants to wrap-up portal recruiting within the week. so this should be an interesting few days ahead of us.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85
Why is there something rather than nothing?

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » April 27th, 2024, 11:22 am

I had heard from, I believe, it was Derek Young that they anticipated Amaroyui (pardon my spelling if I missed) would take all of his visits. I know he was off the Bama this weekend and N Carolina following that next week. I suspect they would wait on him but Fall would be a nice addition, although it would seem. I suspect he would be an "and" get rather than an "or" get. I don't know anything about Battle as far as expectations on other visits, etc. Has anyone heard how visits went for Cliff and Khalid?

bigdeal

Post by bigdeal » April 27th, 2024, 11:23 am

Argh, if autocorrected. Khalif not Khalid.
These users thanked the author bigdeal for the post:
randallcat85

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 27th, 2024, 1:41 pm

bigdeal wrote:
April 27th, 2024, 11:22 am
I had heard from, I believe, it was Derek Young that they anticipated Amaroyui (pardon my spelling if I missed) would take all of his visits. I know he was off the Bama this weekend and N Carolina following that next week. I suspect they would wait on him but Fall would be a nice addition, although it would seem. I suspect he would be an "and" get rather than an "or" get. I don't know anything about Battle as far as expectations on other visits, etc. Has anyone heard how visits went for Cliff and Khalid?
I saw Clifford Omoruyi plans to visit Norrh Carolina next week on May 2.
If he goes past this final visit to make a decision about where he goes, I think this makes the odds better for K State. I think that not many commits will happen until Omoruyi decides.
My concern is making it to midnight on May 1 without losing players to the portal.
We are going to be really happy or really bummed, I don't think there will be much middle ground.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
randallcat85

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 27th, 2024, 4:35 pm

This is just my subjective memory - What happened to the "if you get them on campus, you don't let them leave unless they sign"?

My conspiracy theory is a limited number of older people who influence athletes (old AAU coaches, sports agents, etc) have a playbook and are not allowing the portal kids to commit until they compare notes. There have to be a slew of bad stories where the kid gets nothing.

In the world of college basketball, the transfer portal has become a bustling hub for players seeking new opportunities. Let’s delve into the numbers:

In 2021, a staggering 72% of players in the transfer portal did not secure a new home. Out of the 1,074 players in the portal, only 299 (28%) found a school to attend on scholarship1.

For men’s basketball, more than 20% of Division I scholarship players entered the transfer portal during the NCAA’s name, image, and likeness era. This includes several reigning conference players of the year who still have eligibility remaining2
Additionally, in the broader context of college athletes, 43% (8,284 athletes) are still exploring their options, transferring to non-NCAA schools, or leaving their sport altogether3.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » April 27th, 2024, 9:10 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
April 27th, 2024, 4:35 pm
This is just my subjective memory - What happened to the "if you get them on campus, you don't let them leave unless they sign"?

My conspiracy theory is a limited number of older people who influence athletes (old AAU coaches, sports agents, etc) have a playbook and are not allowing the portal kids to commit until they compare notes. There have to be a slew of bad stories where the kid gets nothing.

In the world of college basketball, the transfer portal has become a bustling hub for players seeking new opportunities. Let’s delve into the numbers:

In 2021, a staggering 72% of players in the transfer portal did not secure a new home. Out of the 1,074 players in the portal, only 299 (28%) found a school to attend on scholarship1.

For men’s basketball, more than 20% of Division I scholarship players entered the transfer portal during the NCAA’s name, image, and likeness era. This includes several reigning conference players of the year who still have eligibility remaining2
Additionally, in the broader context of college athletes, 43% (8,284 athletes) are still exploring their options, transferring to non-NCAA schools, or leaving their sport altogether3.
"43% (8,284 athletes) are still exploring their options, transferring to non-NCAA schools, or leaving their sport altogether."

That's a huge number of "maybe leaving their school". Probably hard to plan on those uncertainties.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 27th, 2024, 10:04 pm

Maybe Baye Fall will convince Khalif Battle to join us since they were teammates last year.

Battle has started a 2nd undergraduate degree in foods and nutrition. I bet his credits would transfer to K State. And our coaches like to make feasts.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
randallcat85