1st Trip to Manhattan

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
RezClone

1st Trip to Manhattan

Post by RezClone » March 1st, 2024, 11:17 am

My wife and I are excited to be making our first trip to Manhattan next Saturday. A few questions for you kind folks:

What's the parking situation like for basketball games?
When do the doors open?

Any recommendations as far as bars and/or restaurants?

Any unique quirks or aspects of Manhattan/Bramlage Coliseum we might encounter or that we might not know about?

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » March 1st, 2024, 11:48 am

Manhattan is a large community with a lot of chain restaurants. Vista is an old fashioned family hamburger joint (lovingly said) that is a classic. Varsity donuts if you want to get bloated. You will like Manhattan as it is a fun college town. I am sure there are a few boneheads, but the folks in town are great. The City is the gateway to the real Kansas. The Lutherans have built a new Church out west and the committee got it right.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 3):
RezClonestlcatfanjet4ksu

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 1st, 2024, 11:52 am

RezClone wrote:
March 1st, 2024, 11:17 am
My wife and I are excited to be making our first trip to Manhattan next Saturday. A few questions for you kind folks: first off, we're pleased to welcome you to the little apple and k-state. generally, isu faithful attend their games here in noticeable numbers including wbb.

What's the parking situation like for basketball games? there is general admission parking. but also on college, you can find private parking or on-street for free and take a short walk - parallels baseball and soccer stadiums. college avenue runs north/south to the west of bramlage. see photo below.

When do the doors open?doors open an hour before tipoff.

Any recommendations as far as bars and/or restaurants? aggieville is always a must. see linky. so long saloon is our favorite bar food. taco lucha is a tex/mex favorite for most. https://www.aggieville.org/restaurants

Any unique quirks or aspects of Manhattan/Bramlage Coliseum we might encounter or that we might not know about?no. bramlage is a nice, clean gym that will be rockin' given the circumstances of late.
Last edited by tmcats on March 1st, 2024, 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
RezClone
Why is there something rather than nothing?

JazzCatDRP
Administrator

Post by JazzCatDRP » March 1st, 2024, 11:54 am

Manhattan and Ames always struck me as very similar cities
These users thanked the author JazzCatDRP for the post (total 3):
tmcatsRezClonestlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 1st, 2024, 2:08 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
March 1st, 2024, 11:48 am
Manhattan is a large community with a lot of chain restaurants. Vista is an old fashioned family hamburger joint (lovingly said) that is a classic. Varsity donuts if you want to get bloated. You will like Manhattan as it is a fun college town. I am sure there are a few boneheads, but the folks in town are great. The City is the gateway to the real Kansas. The Lutherans have built a new Church out west and the committee got it right.
I heard that the church you are speaking of is hoping to build a private Christian school on the property. They have a lot of room out there to expand.

RezClone, I hope you enjoy your time in Manhattan. I retired and moved back to Manhattan last summer. I've really enjoyed being back. I grew up not too far from here. It's good to be back home. :)
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
RezClone
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

RezClone

Post by RezClone » March 1st, 2024, 2:15 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
March 1st, 2024, 11:48 am
I'm curious to know more about exactly what you mean by gateway to "the real Kansas"? Please, elaborate if you would

If I were to guess, I'd imagine it might be similar...maybe not.... to our line of thinking in Ames/ISU world.

We steadfastly maintain that Ames/Central Iowa/DSM represents Iowa in all of its sterotypical glory, where as iowa city/cedar rapids/quad cities/eastern iowa is a hilly rustbelt-lite imposter crawling with self-loathing urbanite Chicagoland sycophants, and it's merely an extention of north central Illinois that is "Iowa" in name only.

They are more than content to exist on our periphery, wholly separate from any real ties to our heartland and Capital City, in both geographic and economic terms, but also a more important spiritual sense. All the while corrupting the minds of our youth and those abroad with the lie that they represent "Iowa" in any meaningful way.

eastern iowa, that school, and that whole thing going on over there is an ongoing masquerade as the namesake institution of our Great State, and the whole thing represents a shameful hijacking of the very spirit of our rural small-town earnest hardworking agrarian neighborly salt-of-the-earth character and legacy.
These users thanked the author RezClone for the post (total 3):
tmcatsstlcatfanDeereCatFan

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » March 1st, 2024, 2:26 pm

I am a rural Kansan from a small town. I attended K State and always felt at home. I would have never felt at home in Lawrence or Johnson County. In fact Lawrence calls us Silo Tech.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanRezClone

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 1st, 2024, 2:34 pm

RezClone wrote:
March 1st, 2024, 2:15 pm
I'm curious to know more about exactly what you mean by gateway to "the real Kansas"? Please, elaborate if you would

[/quote]

if coming from iowa or the north, i suggest you take the backdoor to manhattan, not i70. take rt 36, the ole "pony express route" from st. joe over west of seneca, then drive down route 99 through the flint hills to route 13 and into manhattan across tuttle creek dam. it will give you a gateway view of the real kansas.

ImageImage
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanRezClone
Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 1st, 2024, 2:43 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
March 1st, 2024, 2:26 pm
I am a rural Kansan from a small town. I attended K State and always felt at home. I would have never felt at home in Lawrence or Johnson County. In fact Lawrence calls us Silo Tech.
I find it quite ironic that so many students and fans of the University of Kansas look down their noses at K-State and anything related to agriculture, unless it suits their interests. I imagine it is the same with the University of Iowa and ISU.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

RezClone

Post by RezClone » March 1st, 2024, 3:35 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
March 1st, 2024, 2:43 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
March 1st, 2024, 2:26 pm
I find it quite ironic that so many students and fans of the University of Kansas look down their noses at K-State and anything related to agriculture, unless it suits their interests. I imagine it is the same with the University of Iowa and ISU.

It is much the same, indeed. They call us Moo U.

"iowa produces doctors and lawyers. ISU will teach you how to play in the dirt or play with animals." (The latter part of that sentence is the G-rated version of what they say, of course.)

They also love to lord the big ten thing over us. Idk how much experience you guys have with big ten people, but it's country club elitism and ego personified. They are the SEC and Ivy League rolled into one. They are just better than you, and nothing we do or say will ever change that one bit. No shortcoming on their own part will, either. They are a real treat to deal with on a daily basis, I assure you.

Doesn't help we don't have a Bill Snyder figure and run of success like that we can point to. At least you guys have that.
These users thanked the author RezClone for the post:
stlcatfan