Officiating - Macro Discussion

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
stlcatfan

Re: Officiating - Macro Discussion

Post by stlcatfan » February 5th, 2024, 11:14 am

WildcatEngineer wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 10:48 am
My base point to make this a "Macro" discussion is if more emphasis is not made on recruiting, training officials on a Jr High and High School level the quality of college level officials will be limited because Commissioners will have few choices to replace poor officials.

Kansas High Schools were rescheduling contests because they could not find officials.

KSU and other P5 colleges used to offer a 1 hour elective "Fundamentals of Football", "Fundamentals of Basketball", etc. It was looked at as a do nothing credit. Those courses could be a basis for improving officiating.
If I could go back in time, I would have taken those classes. As a young male teacher who liked sports, those classes would have likely helped me to be a better coach. I was thrown into the fire as a head coach my first year out of college. I felt like I was in over my head. I asked to be an assistant coach in order to learn the ropes, but the principal convinced me that I would be fine. Oh well. Live and learn. :)
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
spot2180
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » February 5th, 2024, 11:39 am

We have several schools in western Kansas offering basketball officiating as a course in school. And then they are assigning them to officiate lots of jr. high and Jv high school games. That’s a great idea even though a few coaches and fans are complaining. They’ve got to learn and get experience somewhere.

I took a basketball officiating course in college too. And was forced to start offiating games by the instructor. Best thing I could ever have done. And we took a test every day on the rule book. After a few weeks I had the rule book totally memorized and could quote it. Was very helpful in both officiating and coaching later on.
These users thanked the author Puffdad for the post (total 4):
tmcatsstlcatfanWildcatEngineerspot2180

Catalum

Post by Catalum » February 5th, 2024, 11:53 am

WildcatEngineer wrote:
February 4th, 2024, 10:46 am
Brice Cherry
@BriceCherry
·
11h
In a rare postgame address to the media, Baylor athletic director Mack Rhoades called tonight's officiating an "embarrassment to the Big 12" and said he would fight for his athletic program. Plans to reach out to the conference.

===================
Athletic Directors, Conference Commissioners, State Athletic Associations need to discuss the number of Officials for all Sports.

Historically it takes 10+ years Officiating at a lower level to get to P5 games. The pool of available officials is at a level where if a crew needs to be replaced it is difficult to do just because there are no viable options.
I agree wholeheartedly with Baylor's AD. Big 12 basketball officials are pathetic. K-State men's team has taken the brunt of this recently.

College basketball officiating is largely a "good 'ol boy network".

If head coaches are subject to fines for calling-out officials, then why aren't officials held accountable for their actions? Look no further than Pollard looking away into the crowd while Finister took an elbow to the face (flagrant foul) during the Iowa State game. Pollard wasn't about to have it reviewed because he knows he screwed-up. Yet, he isn't held accountable for his mistake.
These users thanked the author Catalum for the post:
stlcatfan

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » February 5th, 2024, 2:31 pm

Puffdad wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 11:39 am
We have several schools in western Kansas offering basketball officiating as a course in school. And then they are assigning them to officiate lots of jr. high and Jv high school games. That’s a great idea even though a few coaches and fans are complaining. They’ve got to learn and get experience somewhere.

I took a basketball officiating course in college too. And was forced to start offiating games by the instructor. Best thing I could ever have done. And we took a test every day on the rule book. After a few weeks I had the rule book totally memorized and could quote it. Was very helpful in both officiating and coaching later on.
=================
That is certainly a better alternative to refs teaching refs.

I remember I was the head linesman for a 3 man crew doing a Freshman FB game between Moundridge and Inman. I totally blew an offsides call. I looked across the field and the young coach, about my age, was going nuts yelling at me. That was an eye opener because I realized blown calls could affect not only his success as a coach, but he would get fired from his teaching position for his W/L record.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
stlcatfan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » February 5th, 2024, 3:28 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 2:31 pm
Puffdad wrote:

=================

I remember I was the head linesman for a 3 man crew doing a Freshman FB game between Moundridge and Inman. I totally blew an offsides call. I looked across the field and the young coach, about my age, was going nuts yelling at me. That was an eye opener because I realized blown calls could affect not only his success as a coach, but he would get fired from his teaching position for his W/L record.
Fired from a teaching position because of the W/L record for a freshman team?? And at Inman or Moundridge no less?

While I guess anything is possible in this crazy world I just have a hard time believing they’ll fire a teacher because of their W/L freshman record, unless they’re like the PE teacher. Maybe removed from the freshman football HC duties, but probably still retained as a teacher.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
Puffdad

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » February 5th, 2024, 6:04 pm

bhoovy wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 3:28 pm
WildcatEngineer wrote:

=================

Fired from a teaching position because of the W/L record for a freshman team?? And at Inman or Moundridge no less?

While I guess anything is possible in this crazy world I just have a hard time believing they’ll fire a teacher because of their W/L freshman record, unless they’re like the PE teacher. Maybe removed from the freshman football HC duties, but probably still retained as a teacher.
Sadly, there are a lot of schools (and not just in small towns) where sports comes before academics. You are seen as a coach first and a teacher second.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 2):
WildcatEngineerSection 12-2
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » February 5th, 2024, 6:32 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
Puffdad wrote:

=================

If it was Inman and Moundridge I’d probably just call an unsportsmanlike penalty against both of them right off the bat just for showing up and being there!!! 😂 😆 😝….. just kidding!
These users thanked the author Puffdad for the post:
WildcatEngineer

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » February 6th, 2024, 9:07 am

One of the starters (and best shooter) on the Cunningham High School team is officiating their junior high games (paired with experienced officials).
These users thanked the author AlabamaLane for the post:
Puffdad

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » February 6th, 2024, 10:33 am

Puffdad wrote:
February 5th, 2024, 6:32 pm
WildcatEngineer wrote:

=================

If it was Inman and Moundridge I’d probably just call an unsportsmanlike penalty against both of them right off the bat just for showing up and being there!!! 😂 😆 😝….. just kidding!
When Moundridge played Haven there was always a near sighted ref in the crew. I like the idea of student refs. Beats cameras and AI.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... telligence
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 2):
PuffdadWildcatEngineer