Adjusted Hopeful Expectations, Reality Style

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
SCKSCat

Adjusted Hopeful Expectations, Reality Style

Post by SCKSCat » December 29th, 2023, 12:05 pm

With the loss of Tomlin, my top hopeful expectations are we finish the 5 to 7 in the Big 12 and make the NCAA Tournament.
Anything above that is gravy. A real good year would, in addition to the above, beat KU once and get to the Sweet 16.
Please note the word hopeful. I could see us having a good team, but losing a lot of Big 12 games to other good league teams.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
randallcat85

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » December 29th, 2023, 5:47 pm

I'm hopeful for 8 to 10 wins in the Big 12. It's going to be a tough road ever night in the league, but KSU seems to play well in close games. The team plays even better in OT. :D

Once Glover gets integrated into the Point Guard rotation, I'd think you'll see better consistency & fewer turnovers too. If the team forgoes living & dying from the 3pt shot, and seeks to drive more; youll see more finishes at the rim & also FTs too.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

Snyder

Post by Snyder » December 29th, 2023, 8:35 pm

I'm hopeful of an NCAA bid, but will settle for the NIT. I'm hopeful, maybe too much so, that Coach Tang will not leave. This could be a very special basketball program with his leadership.
These users thanked the author Snyder for the post:
randallcat85

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 30th, 2023, 10:36 am

i want to see the finished team, with ques glover, before making a judgement about their finish. i saw meaningful improvement by dng in the last outing. if he can play a consistent substantial post role and glover adds scoring punch, then i'll be more optimistic about the eventual outcome. that nebraska game felt like usc redux and gave me a case of the negative willies.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
randallcat85
Why is there something rather than nothing?

pharaohcat

Post by pharaohcat » December 30th, 2023, 2:11 pm

As a work in progress, I think we will be up and down before settling into the team we will be. If our guards can cut down on TOs and start hitting their outside shots, I think we will finish in the top 1/2 of the B-12.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » December 30th, 2023, 5:57 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 30th, 2023, 10:36 am
i want to see the finished team, with ques glover, before making a judgement about their finish. i saw meaningful improvement by dng in the last outing. if he can play a consistent substantial post role and glover adds scoring punch, then i'll be more optimistic about the eventual outcome. that nebraska game felt like usc redux and gave me a case of the negative willies.
Negative willies is the best team ever for the way we played at Nebraska. I need some "Positve Willies" to move from hipeful to expectations.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
tmcats

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » December 30th, 2023, 6:01 pm

KSUbetcha wrote:
December 29th, 2023, 5:47 pm
I'm hopeful for 8 to 10 wins in the Big 12. It's going to be a tough road ever night in the league, but KSU seems to play well in close games. The team plays even better in OT. :D

Once Glover gets integrated into the Point Guard rotation, I'd think you'll see better consistency & fewer turnovers too. If the team forgoes living & dying from the 3pt shot, and seeks to drive more; youll see more finishes at the rim & also FTs too.
We need to start making a higher % of threes or drives and finishes at the rim will be limited. Have to make outside shots to open up the inside.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post (total 3):
randallcat85pharaohcatstlcatfan

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » December 30th, 2023, 7:40 pm

Also think we need to get non shooters off the 3 point line.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » December 31st, 2023, 12:38 pm

Puffdad wrote:
December 30th, 2023, 7:40 pm
Also think we need to get non shooters off the 3 point line.
Regardless what the coaches call it, I do not think we are running five out now.

For example,
DNG gets the ball some times outside. He is not a threat from there but can screen for shooters. So his man has to stay out on him to provide help.

The other non shooter (ie Mcnair) will have to make himself available for dump offs when our guard drives off a DNG screen and his defender helps. But Ncnair can do that regardless where he is on the court at the start of an action. So the coaches can call it five out offense but it really is pretty normal offense similar to last year with big guys screening for shooters off the ball, pick and roll, and occasional passes to Mcnair in the post.

We saw some of that against WSU. The key will be how skilled the players are executing. And regardless how good we run it, we are still short at least one shooter to be really effective. (ie a guy like Dean Wade or even Tomlin that has to be guarded outside.

Offense is always better when there are at least four players who are a threat to shoot it But lots of teams do not have 4 guys like that. We certainly do not have it this year. i think we will struggle some unless we come up with that 4th guy.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post:
randallcat85