Kansas State v. Oral Roberts 8pm ESPN+

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
pharaohcat

Re: Kansas State v. Oral Roberts 8pm ESPN+

Post by pharaohcat » November 29th, 2023, 1:47 pm

I think in some ways we are doing very well and have a bright future ahead of us. Think of last year, what would we have looked like without Tomlin and our top reserve (Siles) at this part of the season?

bigpurpleman

Post by bigpurpleman » November 29th, 2023, 1:54 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
November 29th, 2023, 11:02 am
bigpurpleman wrote:
November 29th, 2023, 10:31 am
Like I said last week, I think this team will improve, I'm just not sure it will be significant improvement. We just aren't a good defensive team and that comes from "want to".
Good defense is a lot more than " want to" and was not the issue last night. Good defense takes athleticism, length, communication, understanding the game plan, film study, coaches getting the right match ups and some length helps.

Some of the issues I see that will have to be compensated for:
-Perry does not have length and will give up some threes on close outs and can be backed down in the post. But he is pretty good at staying in front his man and not giving up drives.
- McNair is a little slow and not a quick jumper. He is going to struggle some on ball screen defense and does not provide rim protection. But he is big and strong inside and will help us in some matchups against big men.
- N guessan is good on ball screens but struggles defending bigger stronger guys in the post.
- The three freshmen are going to make some mistakes in help defense and Ames and Jones are not and strong and tough as they will be eventually. I was encouraged by Ames ability to stay in front of his man last night.
- We do not have an on ball disruptor like Barry B or Marquis although Cam is close and Perry might be able to get there. I have not seen enough of Jones to know.

When we get Tomlin back we will have the pieces for a really good defense. Have to see how it comes together.

"want to" will not be an issue as there are good players sitting on the bench who want playing time.
We were not good defensively last night and for much of the season. Especially in the first half.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » November 29th, 2023, 2:33 pm

bigpurpleman wrote:
November 29th, 2023, 1:54 pm
xtrawildcat wrote:
November 29th, 2023, 11:02 am

Good defense is a lot more than " want to" and was not the issue last night. Good defense takes athleticism, length, communication, understanding the game plan, film study, coaches getting the right match ups and some length helps.

Some of the issues I see that will have to be compensated for:
-Perry does not have length and will give up some threes on close outs and can be backed down in the post. But he is pretty good at staying in front his man and not giving up drives.
- McNair is a little slow and not a quick jumper. He is going to struggle some on ball screen defense and does not provide rim protection. But he is big and strong inside and will help us in some matchups against big men.
- N guessan is good on ball screens but struggles defending bigger stronger guys in the post.
- The three freshmen are going to make some mistakes in help defense and Ames and Jones are not and strong and tough as they will be eventually. I was encouraged by Ames ability to stay in front of his man last night.
- We do not have an on ball disruptor like Barry B or Marquis although Cam is close and Perry might be able to get there. I have not seen enough of Jones to know.

When we get Tomlin back we will have the pieces for a really good defense. Have to see how it comes together.

"want to" will not be an issue as there are good players sitting on the bench who want playing time.
We were not good defensively last night and for much of the season. Especially in the first half.
But "want to" is not going to make McNair quicker, Perry taller, no guess an bigger and stronger. Coaches have to blend the strengths and weakness of each player. Adding Tomlin to that mix will be a big step.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post:
KSUbetcha