COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: basketball minutia ..

Post by tmcats » March 10th, 2024, 12:20 pm

and so it starts ...

These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
randallcat85
Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 10th, 2024, 2:18 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 10th, 2024, 12:20 pm
and so it starts ...
Yep, right along with transfer portal news. That time of the year.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 11th, 2024, 12:46 pm

College Basketball Report
@CBKReport
Odds to be the next college basketball coach fired:

Kenny Payne +150
Jerry Stackhouse +600
Juwan Howard +750
Mike Boynton +1200
Wayne Tinkle +1200
Josh Eilert +2500
Johnny Dawkins +2500
Jerod Haase +3000
Mike Hopkins +3500
Andy Enfield +5000

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 11th, 2024, 12:46 pm

Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
Follow
NEWS: Arizona coach Tommy Lloyd has signed a contract extension that will keep him in Tucson until at least 2029, per the school. He’ll make $5.25 million in year one, rising to $6 million in year five.
3:49 PM · Feb 19, 2024
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
randallcat85

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 11th, 2024, 3:16 pm

little fan support in norman coupled with a meh coaching performance there by the porter makes this not at all surprising to me if it happens. he'll do better at a mid-major in his home territory.

Conversation
Dick Weiss
@HoopsWeiss
Porter Moser reportedly in line to leave Oklahoma become head coach at DePaul. good move. guy knows Chicago from time at Loyola, is beloved figure there. hope school comes up with resources to make it work. besides playing in SEC is going to be a bear for whoever gets Sooners' job.
1:01 PM · Mar 11, 2024
·
Views
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 26th, 2024, 12:10 pm

Duke has been a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) since its founding in 1953. Despite its long ties to the conference, another conference is trying to poach them.

Former Salt Lake City-based radio host Tim Montemayor reported on “The Monty Show” Monday that the Big 12 is pursuing Duke.

“Well-placed sources told us that the Big 12 is being aggressive with ACC basketball membership and has their eyes solely set on Duke to pair with Gonzaga,” Montemayor said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... c84e&ei=33
stlcatfanflatlander

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 27th, 2024, 3:25 pm

stlcatfanspot2180

Snyder

Post by Snyder » March 28th, 2024, 8:13 am

tmcats wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 3:25 pm
I wonder how ole Danny feels about coaches leaving kids high and dry and swapping jobs?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » March 28th, 2024, 8:43 am

Snyder wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 8:13 am
tmcats wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 3:25 pm
I wonder how ole Danny feels about coaches leaving kids high and dry and swapping jobs?
Agreed, however, the magnitude of player free agency has a much greater negative affect on the game and on people, in general, than coaches looking to better their professional situation. Literally, thousands of players have entered the portal, multiple times, since it's arrival, and hundreds have never gotten another scholarship offer. Coaches are leaving for a guarantee to better themselves professionally and monetarily. Players are leaving full rides and often, not bettering themselves athletically, academically, or monetarily. Some are leaving to better themselves monetarily for the moment, but risking a free education that can help solidify themselves long term. THIS is likely what he is talking about, and imo, he is 100% correct. The system isn't good for young athletes as it is right now. The system is set up to chase $, which is cool if what you are doing is your profession, but for 90% of these kids, it isn't, and we are encouraging them to chase $ or playing time over focusing on an education, which is the entire purpose of intercollegiate athletics. Coaches aren't there to earn degrees. These institutions aren't there to provide avenues for coaches to attain a degree. This argument doesn't hold water for me. This is a dangerous game to play and it's more than just protecting the integrity of intercollegiate athletics. It's about protecting the athletes. Having a wild, wild west system, with little to no guard rails is wreck less.

If we are hell bent on players being paid, then set a limit, make it the same for all institutions, then disperse the $ equally amongst all scholarship players, with incentives to earn more "if/when" they earn a college degree. People who are just wanting to throw $ at players and not look at ways to do it responsibly and in ways that will actually benefit student athletes, are miserable people, imo. I do not, and will not ever support what is going on with student athletes right now, but if a professional employee wants to move his family to improve his professional standing, then go for it. Trying to equate 19 year old, who knows squat about the world, and is just chasing playing time or $ over a degree, when indeed, they are still considered amateurs, to professional coaches, is just a ridiculous argument.

Of course, this is just one man's opinion, but you won't convince me otherwise. I've been around, and throwing $ at people whose brains aren't even fully developed won't end well in the majority of situations, either for the individual's well being, their development as a person, or their relationship statuses. Professionals, on the other hand, who aren't "amateurs", should be allowed to pursue a better opportunity, so I don't have any problems with coaches who are looking to better themselves. I guess it all comes down to "Do you consider college athletes professionals?" I don't. I believe they should be amateurs if they are linked to Universities, but it seems as though my opinion on this irrelevant. Regardless, it is my opinion, and strong one at that.
These users thanked the author wild@nite for the post (total 2):
spot2180stlcatfan

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » March 28th, 2024, 9:12 am

wild@nite wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 8:43 am
Snyder wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 8:13 am

Agreed, however, the magnitude of player free agency has a much greater negative affect on the game than coaches. Literally, thousands of players have entered the portal multiple times since it's arrival, and hundreds have never gotten another scholarship offer. Coaches are leaving for a guarantee to better themselves professionally and monetarily. Players are leaving full rides and often, not bettering themselves athletically, academically, or monetarily. Some are leaving to better themselves monetarily for the moment, but risking a free education that can help solidify themselves long term. THIS is likely what he is talking about, and imo, he is 100% correct. The system isn't good for young athletes as it is right now. The system is set up to chase $, which is cool if what you are doing is your profession, but for 90% of these kids, it isn't, and we are encouraging them to make $ or playing time the priority over what really matters.

Of course, this is just one man's opinion, but you won't convince me otherwise. Greed leads to negative consequences, and while these athletes are adults, they aren't equipped to handle greed driving their decisions. Some are, but a lot are not mentally ready to chase $ like this. I know I wasn't at 19 or 20 years old. Any professional should be allowed to pursue a better opportunity, so I don't have any problems with coaches who are looking to better themselves. I guess it all comes down to "Do you consider college athletes professionals?" I don't. I believe they should be amateurs if they are linked to Universities, but it seems as though my opinion on this irrelevant. Regardless, it is my opinion, and strong one at that.
One thing it could possibly change for the positive is upperclassmen leaving early to pursue NBA dreams and a payday when they have no chance of getting drafted. These players at best can get a G League salary. NIl deals for good college basketball players likely will exceed the G League salary. Finish school, hone your skills, play basketball and get a decent payday seems better than the harsh chance of failing trying to get into the NBA. It will be interesting to see how this affects Kaluma's decisions.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
stlcatfan