basketball minutia ..

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Gorhoops

Re: basketball minutia ..

Post by Gorhoops » March 28th, 2024, 9:12 am

I guess my thought is, why do these college players all of a sudden have a whole lot more rights than the pro's? Heck, the NFL, NBA, MLB, you have to go play for the team that drafts you for a minimum number of years and you have to play for whatever coach the organization chooses. There are tampering rules in the pros, the Chiefs have recently dealt with that with Mecole Hardman.

Heck, everywhere in the real world there are rules for signing bonuses, leaving jobs, etc. But not in college sports all of a sudden, those kids have more workers' rights than any element in the history of American society. If I choose to leave my teaching job in the middle of the year, I can do that, but I also better be prepared that the school district can come after my license and try to put my license with the state in jeopardy. When my wife went back to nursing school, she signed a contract with a large hospital that paid her tuition in return for her working for them after graduation for a number of years.

But college athletes, they can be practicing in spring ball today, and after practice they can be negotiating with a different school for an NIL deal and enter the portal on April 15th leaving their school high and dry and doggone it, that is okay, they deserve it.

Just not sure about all of that. I know it stinks when a coach leaves for more money, but those coaches have generally spent years and years working their way up the ladder, often making peanuts in the early days, after often being college players that didn't get a dime. But that 19 year old who God blesses with amazing talent deserves the same rights as that 45 year old that has worked in the business for 25 years and paid the sweat equity?????? I just have a hard time with that. Plus, coaches do have buyouts, so that is always an issue as well, they don't always just walk away free.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post (total 3):
randallcat85Puffdadstlcatfan

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » March 28th, 2024, 9:20 am

Gorhoops wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 9:12 am
I guess my thought is, why do these college players all of a sudden have a whole lot more rights than the pro's? Heck, the NFL, NBA, MLB, you have to go play for the team that drafts you for a minimum number of years and you have to play for whatever coach the organization chooses. There are tampering rules in the pros, the Chiefs have recently dealt with that with Mecole Hardman.

Heck, everywhere in the real world there are rules for signing bonuses, leaving jobs, etc. But not in college sports all of a sudden, those kids have more workers' rights than any element in the history of American society. If I choose to leave my teaching job in the middle of the year, I can do that, but I also better be prepared that the school district can come after my license and try to put my license with the state in jeopardy. When my wife went back to nursing school, she signed a contract with a large hospital that paid her tuition in return for her working for them after graduation for a number of years.

But college athletes, they can be practicing in spring ball today, and after practice they can be negotiating with a different school for an NIL deal and enter the portal on April 15th leaving their school high and dry and doggone it, that is okay, they deserve it.

Just not sure about all of that. I know it stinks when a coach leaves for more money, but those coaches have generally spent years and years working their way up the ladder, often making peanuts in the early days, after often being college players that didn't get a dime. But that 19 year old who God blesses with amazing talent deserves the same rights as that 45 year old that has worked in the business for 25 years and paid the sweat equity?????? I just have a hard time with that. Plus, coaches do have buyouts, so that is always an issue as well, they don't always just walk away free.
Some schools are pushing lucrative 2 or 3 year NIL contract deals to keep kids from jumping. In time some slick lawyer is going to put in claues that will make it hard for kid to get out of a NIL. Or talk a kid into selling his NIL rights to a collective.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 3):
randallcat85Puffdadstlcatfan

Catalum

Post by Catalum » March 28th, 2024, 10:44 am

SCKSCat wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 9:20 am
Gorhoops wrote:

Some schools are pushing lucrative 2 or 3 year NIL contract deals to keep kids from jumping. In time some slick lawyer is going to put in claues that will make it hard for kid to get out of a NIL. Or talk a kid into selling his NIL rights to a collective.
If some of these college athletes are going to get paid, then they should be under some kind of contract. Otherwise, what's the incentive to work hard if they're getting their money upfront? We're creating a bunch entitled young adults for the next generation.
These users thanked the author Catalum for the post:
stlcatfan

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » March 28th, 2024, 10:50 am

Gorhoops wrote:

Great additions to the debate of why it's not a good argument to make.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » March 28th, 2024, 10:53 am

SCKSCat wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 9:20 am
Gorhoops wrote:

Which further validates what Hurley was saying. Nobody gives a crap about how this is affecting individuals and their futures, or their mentality, or their institutions. Some think throwing $ at them is good because well, they're making $. Ask Michael Beasley how that worked out for his friendships and his mentality. Just one example, sure, but it'll be worse with the bidding wars and tampering (which is somehow legal now. Jesus...) Greed blinds men and folks, the people running the show are blind. The common fans are the most sensible people on the subject because we aren't profiting. The Fitz's and Kurtz's of the world are even loving this crap and starting to beg people to donate to the NIL if for no other reason than they love the discussion topic padding their #'s. It's completely out of control.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 28th, 2024, 11:39 am

college sports are a rudderless ship floating about aimlessly at the whim of monied despots including tv networks, wealthy alums, and conference administrators.

the courts have aided by saying what's not allowed. but college presidents have not step forward to draw markers as to what is acceptable. thus, we watch the rules and traditions we once admired fall apart as conferences rationalize, athletes unionize, and despots like the sec's sankey and the cfp committee draw their own rules.

it's really sad for someone like me who has followed sports since days of john huarte, roger staubach, bill russell, and bob boozer. my interest in mbb is drawing to the same close as major league baseball did decades ago with free agency.
:|
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
learninkatlander
Why is there something rather than nothing?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » March 28th, 2024, 11:50 am

What's even more weird is that there are thousands of people who are supporting this corrupt, immoral system that wanted a certain someone prosecuted in the state of NY for a "professional" business deal that was perfectly legal. I know the rules, so you'll have to read between the lines, but the point needs to be made that there is a ton of hypocrisy and corrupt individuals that think they are somehow better than said individual, but are actually worse, imo.

learnin

Post by learnin » March 28th, 2024, 12:28 pm

wild@nite wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 11:50 am
What's even more weird is that there are thousands of people who are supporting this corrupt, immoral system that wanted a certain someone prosecuted in the state of NY for a "professional" business deal that was perfectly legal. I know the rules, so you'll have to read between the lines, but the point needs to be made that there is a ton of hypocrisy and corrupt individuals that think they are somehow better than said individual, but are actually worse, imo.
Your first post , on this matter, was very good. You should have stopped right there. In this post, you made a clever attempt to skirt forum rules by not mentioning the name of a certain political figure whom you think was unjustly prosecuted. Your argument, that we are catering to and promoting a sense of entitlement in young college athletes, is totally wiped away by your defense of a criminal.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 28th, 2024, 12:28 pm

wild@nite wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 11:50 am
yep wild, it seems hypocrisy rules today and that's not to support the certain new york persona who i personally loathe.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 28th, 2024, 12:35 pm

Gorhoops wrote:

The courts have basically taken away any power that the NCAA had regarding transfers and NIL money (and tampering, as a byproduct). Unfortunately, this is all leading to making college athletes paid professionals for the school they represent (even though most of them likely will not step one foot in a classroom). Without contracts, it's anything goes. Maybe this was all by design, to force the changes that most college sports fans would not willingly accept.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln