Huggy

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Re: Huggy

Post by ToledoCat#3 » July 9th, 2023, 11:32 am

From the stories today, it looks like Huggy Bear is not going quietly into the night, but, instead, going noisily into court. Might even be a bit of marital friction if the story I read is correct.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » July 9th, 2023, 11:36 am

It’s clear that the family dynamics are challenging, at best.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » July 9th, 2023, 2:14 pm

So it looks like nothing but a money grab. His contract was set to expire next year anyway. Does anyone know if his contract had a morals clause? I do believe alcoholism may be covered under the ADA. Also, is WV a community property state and if that even matters, can his wife actually 'retire' for him?

It sure looks like there was enough time passing that someone is trying to squeeze money from the university. I think they should just suspend him without pay back to that date and then terminate him for cause, but I do play hard ball with things like this.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... signed-wvu

It took me a few minutes to find it and this is only the amendment to the contract, but it appears they just suspend without pay and then terminate for cause. The only issue is if it may be covered by the ADA since he did get treatment. This sure smells like he found an ambulance chaser attorney.

https://www.wvnews.com/bluegoldnews/hug ... 8f33f.html
These users thanked the author Zoltar for the post (total 2):
stlcatfankatlander
Win the dang day!

Snyder

Post by Snyder » July 9th, 2023, 3:41 pm

I'm losing more respect for Huggy as this plays out. His comments about homosexuals and Catholics were offensive. Booze behind the wheel and less than upstanding morals. Wow, hope this ends better than I think it is going to.
These users thanked the author Snyder for the post (total 2):
tmcatsstlcatfan

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » July 9th, 2023, 7:32 pm

WVU should've hired a driver for Huggy like KSU did.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post (total 4):
tmcatsstlcatfanrandallcat85katlander

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » July 10th, 2023, 5:15 am

He's got a bad lawyer. Period.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » July 10th, 2023, 7:29 am

When coaches become idols for fans, and the coaches then begin to think highly of themselves and believe that rhey are indispensable, it seems problems ensue.
Huggins is an example. Rick Pitino is an example.
Some coaches can remain humble despite being under the limelight and adulation

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » July 10th, 2023, 9:02 am

SCKSCat wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 7:29 am
When coaches become idols for fans, and the coaches then begin to think highly of themselves and believe that rhey are indispensable, it seems problems ensue.

I think you are onto something here. Also coaching is stressful. Huggy and WVU just put together a good group of recruits and he was probably feeling pretty good about things. Time to celebrate! .........Whoops!

The more I think about it the more I think they should have had Bob apologize for his behavior and continue prepping for the upcoming season. Get him a driver/baby sitter and protect him from himself.

Conventional wisdom labels alcoholism as a disease. But when the inevitable side effects of this disease occur the individual's character is attacked. So please tell me. Is it a disease or not!

Considering all of the bad behavior which is tolerated in sports why is drinking and driving the ultimate sin. He should have to obey the laws and probably lose his driver's license. But if he is doing a good job he should not be fired.

Maybe they could offer him his job back if he gives up his driver's license before he hurts someone.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post:
randallcat85

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » July 10th, 2023, 9:24 am

katlander wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 9:02 am
SCKSCat wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 7:29 am

I think you are onto something here. Also coaching is stressful. Huggy and WVU just put together a good group of recruits and he was probably feeling pretty good about things. Time to celebrate! .........Whoops!

The more I think about it the more I think they should have had Bob apologize for his behavior and continue prepping for the upcoming season. Get him a driver/baby sitter and protect him from himself.

Conventional wisdom labels alcoholism as a disease. But when the inevitable side effects of this disease occur the individual's character is attacked. So please tell me. Is it a disease or not!

Considering all of the bad behavior which is tolerated in sports why is drinking and driving the ultimate sin. He should have to obey the laws and probably lose his driver's license. But if he is doing a good job he should not be fired.

Maybe they could offer him his job back if he gives up his driver's license before he hurts someone.
That would be fine if he was not the leader of young men and this was his first offense.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 10th, 2023, 10:27 am

an alcoholics anonymous friend of mine said when it happened that huggs would not kick alcoholism because he's too arrogant. when he said that, i thought to myself after watching coach huggins over the years: that may be true. it's proving out now as we see this unfold into legal ugliness where even wvu fans are turning on him in mass.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bob-huggins-tr ... 16776.html

coaches are placed on pedestals by fans, media, and their peers. some, like nick saban and bob mckillop, are able to handle the adulation. i'd put mark few in that class as well, even though he's also had a recent dui. but others, like huggs, knight, and pitino fall off the table due to their own arrogance, nothing else, just selfishness. i'm old enough to have watched it happen time after time. woody hayes comes to mind. even our own legend was cranky and pretty much unmanageable at the end. (by the way, i saw him yesterday, he looks great, yellow tie and all.)

These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
stlcatfan
Why is there something rather than nothing?