Florida Atlantic Owls

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
flatlander

Re: Florida Atlantic Owls

Post by flatlander » March 25th, 2023, 9:41 pm

Missed free throw here, missed layup there, AA forward in fowl trouble. Some nights it happens but it doesn't take away from a great season and promising future.
These users thanked the author flatlander for the post (total 2):
Puffdadstlcatfan
:popcorn:

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » March 25th, 2023, 9:44 pm

Be nice to discuss why we lost. My thoughts:
Rebounding
1. I will have to rewatch to understand. Length of FAUs big man was part of it. he had 6 offensive boards and a number of them due to being longer than our rebounders on the weak side. And he tipped some out that other players collected.
2. Puff mentioned lack of block outs and that surely had to be part of it but I'll have to rewatch to see why we did not get block outs.
One example is Sills had Golden blocked out for a weak side rebound but Goldens length let him grab it over Sills. Then Golden put a shoulder into Sills and he went down trying to draw the charge. No call and Golden got an easy rebound. That was a key play late in the game.

Defense.
1. We did not double Golden in order to guard the line and he got some easy inside looks. Tried fronting him and they threw over the top. Then played behind him but let him get the ball too deep. I thought our bigs should have been more aggressive getting under his but and pushing him further out. Even if they drew a foul or two doing it.

2. They did a nice job making open outside shots.

Free throws.
1.. We missed some really important ones. Just one of those things. And FAU hit some really pressure free throws. Just one of those things. Kudos to FAU

Turnovers.
1. We had at least three tovs on passes that were too long on break opportunities. Really prevented us from getting momentum. Call it lack of execution or trying to be too aggressive.
2. Nowell had 5 tovs. Two of them described above. However, 5 is not a bad number considering how much he handled the ball

Fouls.
1. Johnson was too aggressive and a little bit of bad luck. For example, hard to criticize him for the foul he got diving for a loose ball. That limited him to 18 minutes and kept him from being a factor.
2. We had 21 fouls to 18 for them but seemed like we put them in the bonus early in the first half and that let them stay in front of us.

Massoud had a big part getting us to this game but was trying to force offense tonight and it hurt us.

Guess i did not see the coaching mistakes in this game that some are complaining about. On this particular night, FAU outplayed us. A little quicker than we were and longer at the center position.
Last edited by xtrawildcat on March 25th, 2023, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post (total 2):
PuffdadCatnVa

Snyder

Post by Snyder » March 25th, 2023, 9:46 pm

Someone please message me or let me know how to block posts. I love this board, but negativity from agenda driven individuals that clearly do not like K-State is a downer.
These users thanked the author Snyder for the post (total 3):
jeffmax26spoofrice11DenverCat

JazzCatDRP
Administrator

Post by JazzCatDRP » March 25th, 2023, 9:48 pm

I’m locking this thread up. Someone can feel free to restart it if they wish, but the trolling posts will be dealt with swiftly.
These users thanked the author JazzCatDRP for the post (total 4):
jeffmax26catalystSnyderDenverCat