Tangs early first team/ starters and grades

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
pulitzerdavid

Tangs early first team/ starters and grades

Post by pulitzerdavid » May 23rd, 2022, 11:58 am

If the season were to start today, this would be the starting lineup along with reserves. Of course, we will be adding more players, but with no guarantees that they will be any better than these 7. Letter grades next to the names reflecting not potential, but last season's performances. They all have potential to raise their grades significantly based on how they play next season: So here is an early look at the 2022-23 Wildcats under Jerome Tang.

PG - Marquis Nowell - B+
I think Marquis will have a great season, I just hope, with so many inexperienced players, he plays within himself. He's better when does that.

SG- Cam Carter - D
This is actually a generous grade considering that he only averaged 2 points per game last season. We'll see if he can rise to his 4-star status and help this team.

SF - Ish Massoud - C-
This position is up for grabs between Massoud, Finister and possibly Tomlin, depending on how Tang wants to shape the lineup. Massoud could make a big jump from last year, but I think he will have to learn to play and score in the 7-15 range to reach his potential.
SF - Dorian Finister - B
I like Finister because of his length and athleticism. He's unpolished, but has an upside. He's a tremendous shot blocker and can get to the basket. I don't know what kind of outside shooter he is, but that may not matter.
SF - Nae 'Quon Tomlin - C+
Tomlin could easily be moved to the 4 spot, or even 5, but for now I've got him here. What worries me about Tomlin is his lack of top level competition. Juco's more often than not don't do well with this big of a jump. He's the giant question mark in this class. The coaching staff thinks that he can be good, so we'll see.

PF- Taj Manning - C
I don't think Manning will start, but he's listed as a PF, so that's why I put him here. One of the above 3 players listed will probably move into the starting 4 spot. Not much is expected from him as a 3-star HS recruit, but anything he adds will be a bonus.

C- Jerrell Colbert - F
Sorry, this is the only grade I can give a guy who scored only 2 points last season and played a total of 18 minutes in the season. I don't care who played in front of him, this is alarming. The good news, he can only improve on this grade. Maybe we'll get lucky with him.

That's it. I know we'll be adding more players, but the good ones are dropping off the radar. This may be as good as it gets, or maybe there is still a dude or two out there that wants to be part of a rebuild. EMAW.
"What other people think is none of my business" - Scotty Scheffler, Masters Champion. Great advice Scotty.

learnin

Post by learnin » May 23rd, 2022, 12:35 pm

Thanks for the evaluation. I haven’t had the time to review videos and articles on these players.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » May 23rd, 2022, 1:26 pm

Full game highlights of Mississippi State at Alabama. Cam Carter started, played 28 minutes and scored 15 points. 3 q assists and one turnover. I don't know why he started and got to play extended minutes in this game vs very few minutes in most of the games.
But he can shoot from range and get to the rim off the dribble. (3 for 6 in this game with the last one being a last second step back at the end of the game. )Made some nice passes. Like most freshman, did'nt finish well at the rim,

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mi ... &FORM=VIRE

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » May 23rd, 2022, 2:20 pm

To give us a point of reference, could the author be this thread point out someone on last year team that would have a b, c, d f grade.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » May 23rd, 2022, 3:02 pm

So this is a grade on production, and athletic capacity.
C- Jerrell Colbert - F
Sorry, this is the only grade I can give a guy who scored only 2 points last season and played a total of 18 minutes in the season. I don't care who played in front of him, this is alarming. The good news, he can only improve on this grade. Maybe we'll get lucky with him.

Poor.coach. Better.players ahead of him. All of these limit production.
He was a 4.Star coming out of HS. I think we had 3 4 star 0layers last year. Pack and Smith did well. Davion Bradford had a D production year. So losing him wash no big whoop.
My assessment we found a decent player who add substance to the team.
I worry about the future grade of the team more than for players.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » May 23rd, 2022, 3:56 pm

Jerrel Colbert highlights from two years ago. He had an achilles injury his freshman year that did not let him play his first year at LSU. I don't know if that affected him this year.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=je ... &FORM=VIRE

PurplePride98

Post by PurplePride98 » May 23rd, 2022, 6:39 pm

Interesting exercise. Let’s see the grades for those that have left and would have been next years team.

My opinion is that Pack still throws his hat in the NIL ring regardless of who our coach is and $800k says his loyalty is not with KSU (and I don’t blame him at all for taking the money). If Pack does leave, then outside of Nowell and Ish we had one other player avg more than 15 minutes and we would stil need 2-3 impact transfers.
These users thanked the author PurplePride98 for the post:
stlcatfan

pulitzerdavid

Post by pulitzerdavid » May 24th, 2022, 4:48 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
May 23rd, 2022, 1:26 pm
Full game highlights of Mississippi State at Alabama. Cam Carter started, played 28 minutes and scored 15 points. 3 q assists and one turnover. I don't know why he started and got to play extended minutes in this game vs very few minutes in most of the games.
But he can shoot from range and get to the rim off the dribble. (3 for 6 in this game with the last one being a last second step back at the end of the game. )Made some nice passes. Like most freshman, did'nt finish well at the rim,

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mi ... &FORM=VIRE
One game does not a season make.
"What other people think is none of my business" - Scotty Scheffler, Masters Champion. Great advice Scotty.

pulitzerdavid

Post by pulitzerdavid » May 24th, 2022, 4:50 am

SCKSCat wrote:
May 23rd, 2022, 3:02 pm
So this is a grade on production, and athletic capacity.
C- Jerrell Colbert - F

Poor.coach. Better.players ahead of him. All of these limit production.
He was a 4.Star coming out of HS. I think we had 3 4 star 0layers last year. Pack and Smith did well. Davion Bradford had a D production year. So losing him wash no big whoop.
My assessment we found a decent player who add substance to the team.
I worry about the future grade of the team more than for players.
No, I never said anything about "athletic capacity" when giving out grades, only production from the previous year. If you want to give a grade to a player based on potential, or "athletic capacity", then go ahead. What would your grade be?

pulitzerdavid

Post by pulitzerdavid » May 24th, 2022, 5:05 am

SCKSCat wrote:
May 23rd, 2022, 2:20 pm
To give us a point of reference, could the author be this thread point out someone on last year team that would have a b, c, d f grade.
Sure, the author would be glad to do that.

Pack - A
Smith - A-
McGuirl - C+
Miguel - C-
EZ - D
Bradford - F
Kasubke - D
Lewis - C-
Linguard - D

The low grades for the 5 position is why we struggled. But even with that, we were in the race for an NCAA bid until the final two weeks of the season. Throw in the B+ grade that I gave Nowell, and that's a pretty productive threesome.

Also, the aggregate grade for last year's starting team is much higher than the one for this year's potential starting team (so far).

So I guess the goal of getting better right away, as Tang promised, may not come to fruition unless something miraculous happens in the coming month.