My parade has been rained on and optimistic joy squelched

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
epicsnyder

Re: My parade has been rained on and optimistic joy squelched

Post by epicsnyder » May 26th, 2022, 1:09 pm

Here's to hoping AJ and everyone else sticks around and continues supporting my university and it's athletics programs. There are unrealistic expectations across the board and that is what gets everyone going sideways from time to time. But the last thing we need is regular contributors jumping ship in frustration.
These users thanked the author epicsnyder for the post:
randallcat85
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » May 26th, 2022, 1:11 pm

Well said AJ, and same for me. Until things change, my contributions will be going to a different forum. It's ironic & sad that so many of us originally came to this place to get away from the same thing it has now become.
These users thanked the author KsJoey for the post:
kstfan88

pharaohcat

Post by pharaohcat » May 26th, 2022, 2:22 pm

I think it is a legit question to ask, who the cheaters were, when a poster says that covid and cheating were the reason we finished 9th or10th 3 years in a row. I think KU is dirty, but I don't think all the rest of the B-12 is. But this is just MHO. Covid did hit us hard, but we still had chances to make the NCAAs and fell short. again MHO.
These users thanked the author pharaohcat for the post:
randallcat85

learnin

Post by learnin » May 26th, 2022, 2:44 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
May 26th, 2022, 12:35 pm
learnin wrote:
May 26th, 2022, 11:05 am

There have been several posters, as of late, who have demanded that action be taken against two posters they have deemed to be trolls for being critical of our new coach. All through the Weber years, there were posters who only showed up when Weber suffered a bad loss so they could pile on. Others hung around, but were constantly critical of Weber. This poster showed up when it was becoming clear that Weber was going to fail. Since then, he has made sure to challenge any post that even suggests Weber was a good coach or last year’s team was very close to being successful. Yet, no one demands action.

Perhaps we should stop being so thinned skinned and put up with negativity as long as any poster does not resort to personal attacks or threats.
Oh the irony. This site was a draw to me because it distanced itself from the Weber hate that was premature and now the same premature hate has returned towards a different coach? As a Weber supporter, and a supporter of all KSU coaches, it took a couple of years before the Weber hate resurfaced, but even then it was minimal and at least Weber had coached some to have something that could at least be argued. While Tang hasn't even coached a single game which is what my objection is to all this negativity. Let the man have a chance before you tear him down. Nor do I need to defend a coach that is no longer here because I am focused on the here and now and history is already written on the past. I believe that the hate focused towards Weber will also take care of itself if the hate towards Tang was also removed as they are both reactionary to each other yet no side seems to want to be the one to end it and continue to engage in this never ending battle of jabs and underhanded comments.

After I put Tang trolls on ignore, and then Weber trolls on ignore, and the KU fans acting like KSU fans on ignore, then I'm left having to scroll through multiple ignored posts, except when I can't ignore admins whom some post their personal opinions to which can't be ignored, to get to anything I find valuable. Or instead of just putting up with it, I can do the same thing that brought me here in the first place and find somewhere else to go. No one wants to have to dig through pages of infighting and negativity, or ignored posts, because users have some perceived slight they need to avenge or because trolls enjoy the chaos they create by not directly disobeying the rules, but doing enough to disrupt the conversation. Just like this site was born out of wanting to get away from what other sites have become, other sites will evolve as well to get away from this site.

I enjoy providing updates from sources I have at KSU or digging up articles, tweets, statistics or any tidbit of information I can find and sharing it to the masses, but not at the cost of having to wade through the swamp this has become. When a passion becomes a pain point, it is no longer fun to do. It is quite clear what conversations are preferred here and it is not something I wish to be apart of. So a big fat NO to your request to just put up with it. You all can continue to live in a divided world of hate and constant fighting and I'll see myself out until a change in attitude has occurred among all sides to you are all once again on the same side which is the side of KSU where we all should be.
You’re free to do what you like, but good luck finding a discussion board that suits all your demands. I’ve yet to find any discussion board where there is nothing but harmonious, arse -kissing, Kumbaya chatter. If you find one, let me know so I can avoid it. From reading your likes and dislikes, it sounds like you would be better off avoiding discussion boards.
That would be a shame as I do appreciate your research and data.

learnin

Post by learnin » May 26th, 2022, 2:56 pm

KsJoey wrote:
May 26th, 2022, 1:11 pm
Well said AJ, and same for me. Until things change, my contributions will be going to a different forum. It's ironic & sad that so many of us originally came to this place to get away from the same thing it has now become.

Joey, I would appreciate it if you could pm me and let me know which forum you migrate to. I’d be interested to know if there is a sports forum where everyone is just giddy about the roster right now. If there is nothing but praise and excitement about the program and college sports, NIL , then, it must be a forum that hands out rose colored spectacles.

learnin

Post by learnin » May 26th, 2022, 3:03 pm

pharaohcat wrote:
May 26th, 2022, 2:22 pm
I think it is a legit question to ask, who the cheaters were, when a poster says that covid and cheating were the reason we finished 9th or10th 3 years in a row. I think KU is dirty, but I don't think all the rest of the B-12 is. But this is just MHO. Covid did hit us hard, but we still had chances to make the NCAAs and fell short. again MHO.
My position is last year’s team was good enough to make the tournament if they had caught a few breaks. Do you agree with this?
These users thanked the author learnin for the post:
SCKSCat

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » May 26th, 2022, 4:07 pm

learnin wrote:
May 26th, 2022, 3:03 pm
pharaohcat wrote:
My position is last year’s team was good enough to make the tournament if they had caught a few breaks. Do you agree with this?
Learnin, OK you are right. But what does that matter.
They didn't make it. And the most disappointing part was they melted down in the last four or five games when they could have put themselves in the tourney. Lost the last 5 games of the Big 12 season. And two of them were OU and ISU at home. Both of those games drew pretty good crowds hoping to see a win that would put us in the tourney. Those decent sized crowds left disappointed and with little hope for improvement next year with the same players less McGuirl and Smith. .

Time to move on from Weber.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post:
pharaohcat

pulitzerdavid

Post by pulitzerdavid » May 26th, 2022, 5:03 pm

learnin wrote:
pharaohcat wrote:
I agree with that learnin. And here's the reason it is relevant. With a few breaks, the team gets in. Then what? We probably get a tough first round game and perhaps lose. Still, the team has made progress from the two previous years, and likely Weber retains his job. We were actually really close to that scenario. But if that would have happened, the noise from Weber haters would have gone from loud to jet-engine deafening. And we go through another season of bashing and gnashing of teeth. But the silver lining may have been this. Weber retains Pack, who may not have had a desire to enter the portal, because he likes KSU, likes his coach and see potential in next years team. And possibly picks up two dynamic portal players on the caliber of Smith and Nowell.

But, as we know, that didn't happen. I wish it had, but it didn't. So what's left after the Weber haters got their way?

They got a 19-year assistant coach who came strutting into Manhattan pitching the "Baylor way" and selling a pipe dream of getting dudes and winning right away. But there were two thing that he underestimated - the NIL, and the outside perception of who Jerome Tang was. That's when the Tang train got derailed. Outside of the fanfare going on in Wildcat Nation, no one else really cared, or took notice - especially quality players who saw better opportunities elsewhere. Most probably said, "Jerome who"? I'm sure many were wondering why KSU didn't hire a head coach with experience.

So, if you had a choice, and could go back in time, which would you have hoped for? More fortune for KSU basketball last year, with a dynamic backcourt along with a couple of portal players who actually played some college basketball last season, or what we have now, which is an incomplete roster, with questionable talent and diminishing time to make it better?
"What other people think is none of my business" - Scotty Scheffler, Masters Champion. Great advice Scotty.

learnin

Post by learnin » May 26th, 2022, 5:07 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
May 26th, 2022, 4:07 pm
learnin wrote:

Learnin, OK you are right. But what does that matter.
They didn't make it. And the most disappointing part was they melted down in the last four or five games when they could have put themselves in the tourney. Lost the last 5 games of the Big 12 season. And two of them were OU and ISU at home. Both of those games drew pretty good crowds hoping to see a win that would put us in the tourney. Those decent sized crowds left disappointed and with little hope for improvement next year with the same players less McGuirl and Smith. .

Time to move on from Weber.
Ok, Xtra, let me tell you why it matters to me. I choose to defend Weber’s reputation and the reputation of last year’s team. When a poster criticizes Tang’s recruitment, so far, and other posters respond by bashing last year’s team, and Weber, I feel the need to defend them. If we are to move on, when a poster expresses misgivings about Tang’s job at this point in time, let posters address those misgivings and not return to the past. What does Weber’s failure have to do with Tang’s failure to field a team at this point in time; failure to land one significant recruit? If Tang fails to make the tournament, next year, are we to take comfort in the fact that last year’s team failed? When Tang is criticized, defend him but don’t do so by bashing last year’s team.

Weber did what he needed to in order to get K-State back to the tournament. He did very well in the transfer portal scoring with Mark Smith
and Marquis Nowell both of whom garnered Big XII honors. I’m not going to rehash the bad luck again, I’ll only address your point about last years team wilting down the stretch. After losing the heartbreaker to KU, I really did not see how a team, fighting for their coaches life, could recover in a conference like the Big 12. They went to Mississippi and lost to a team they should have beaten. My fears were confirmed. But they pulled themselves up again and beat Iowa State and TCU in away games. The Oklahoma State overtime lost was the clincher. You can only sustain so much gut wrenching bad luck and defeat.

I appreciated last year’s team and I’ll have to say it was one of the most exhausting and disappointing years I’ve experienced in basketball since 1969. They deserved better.
These users thanked the author learnin for the post:
Kralicek

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » May 26th, 2022, 6:09 pm

Learnin’ it is interesting people say coach CK should get a pass on the last two years over on the football board?

I’m not saying Weber should have stayed, frankly, I think he should have moved on on his own accord a couple years ago. The environment at KSU was just too toxic. It’s better for both to part ways, which I’ve said all along. Sometimes things run their course and staying too long doesn’t end well. That said, he almost made the tourney with this years team which wasn’t very good (don’t forget they had games cancelled too). In my opinion, getting the that crew as close as he did was remarkable.

I think that’s a sensible analysis … of course I’m sure a few will shout shut up troll!! 😂