Rain on the parade if you wish, but...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Re: Rain on the parade if you wish, but...

Post by learnin » May 6th, 2022, 6:21 pm

I’ve been on the scout, and this forum, for many years and I can’t remember placing anyone on the ignore list. Perhaps there was one. It just seems as if it smacks of being afraid of the truth whenever it hits you in the face. There’s not a poster, on this basketball forum, who does not write some words of wisdom, or truth, at times. Sometimes it hurts but this is the way we “learnin” and advance. I’ve argued with posters, here, through Weber’s tenure. I still disagree with most who believe he was not a good coach, but readily admit there were times when I learned some things and had to rethink and fine tune my position.

I do admit I get angry whenever posters misrepresent my position and build a straw man. Sometimes, It may be due to my lack of having failed to communicate properly and that’s a learning experience. If I get too frustrated, Ill get away from the computer for a spell.

But through it all, discussion boards are for opposing opinions. Few of us would be here if there wasn’t some lively debate happening. How much activity would there be if if only positivity presents itself?
These users thanked the author learnin for the post (total 3):
Section 12-2tmcatsKralicek

Wildwilly73

Post by Wildwilly73 » May 6th, 2022, 7:47 pm

Learnin, several of us made some awesome friends back on Scout......we don't always agree, but at the end of the day life long Buds!
These users thanked the author Wildwilly73 for the post (total 2):
learninPuffdad

learnin

Post by learnin » May 6th, 2022, 8:06 pm

Wildwilly73 wrote:
May 6th, 2022, 7:47 pm
Learnin, several of us made some awesome friends back on Scout......we don't always agree, but at the end of the day life long Buds!
Yessir, Wildwilly!
These users thanked the author learnin for the post:
Puffdad

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » May 6th, 2022, 8:21 pm

learnin wrote:
May 6th, 2022, 6:21 pm
I’ve been on the scout, and this forum, for many years and I can’t remember placing anyone on the ignore list. Perhaps there was one. It just seems as if it smacks of being afraid of the truth whenever it hits you in the face. There’s not a poster, on this basketball forum, who does not write some words of wisdom, or truth, at times. Sometimes it hurts but this is the way we “learnin” and advance. I’ve argued with posters, here, through Weber’s tenure. I still disagree with most who believe he was not a good coach, but readily admit there were times when I learned some things and had to rethink and fine tune my position.

I do admit I get angry whenever posters misrepresent my position and build a straw man. Sometimes, It may be due to my lack of having failed to communicate properly and that’s a learning experience. If I get too frustrated, Ill get away from the computer for a spell.

But through it all, discussion boards are for opposing opinions. Few of us would be here if there wasn’t some lively debate happening. How much activity would there be if if only positivity presents itself?
I don’t alway see eye to eye with you learnin, but that’s okay too… but you don’t troll, like some others do. I think there is an obvious difference. Some people want a discussion, that’s great…, others go looking for problems, post inflaming posts, will call every disagreeing opinion essentially an idiot, F off or threaten to sue you. I wish there was a red line on this forum, but it’s very blurred at best.
These users thanked the author KsJoey for the post:
learnin

bahweepgronnaweep

Post by bahweepgronnaweep » May 6th, 2022, 9:26 pm

KsJoey wrote:
May 6th, 2022, 8:21 pm
learnin wrote:

I don’t alway see eye to eye with you learnin, but that’s okay too… but you don’t troll, like some others do. I think there is an obvious difference. Some people want a discussion, that’s great…, others go looking for problems, post inflaming posts, will call every disagreeing opinion essentially an idiot, F off or threaten to sue you. I wish there was a red line on this forum, but it’s very blurred at best.
These days people are all too willing to prejudge each other, put them in a box, and then be offended by the opinion they just made up for them. We all need to give that shit a rest. Try to actually see where each other are coming from.

There are still 2-4% of people that will not engage in good faith. I don't need to learn anything from them most of the time.
These users thanked the author bahweepgronnaweep for the post:
KsJoey

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » May 7th, 2022, 6:26 am

KsJoey wrote:
May 6th, 2022, 8:21 pm
learnin wrote:

I agree. When I post an alternate opinion from time to time, some people go nuts.

Wildwilly73

Post by Wildwilly73 » May 7th, 2022, 8:51 pm

If we all had the same opinion there wouldn't be much purpose for this!
These users thanked the author Wildwilly73 for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » May 7th, 2022, 9:19 pm

Wildwilly73 wrote:
May 7th, 2022, 8:51 pm
It’s too bad more people don’t understand this….and realize that some people can actually disagree agreeably.
These users thanked the author Puffdad for the post:
Section 12-2

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » May 8th, 2022, 9:53 am

KsJoey wrote:
May 6th, 2022, 2:44 pm
Just put the 3 or so obvious Trolls on your foe list, and hide their posts. It makes this board a little bit easier. My time is worth more than debating with non-sense & spammers.
Joey. I feel blocking some posters is a form of censorship. May be better to allow all viewpoints and just take them for what they are worth. Form your own opinions and have thick skin. It is not necessary to reply to posts you disagree with. Some like to instigate and then debate at a level some would call attacking. Pick your battles and be tough enough to listen to all views regardless of how vehemently you disagree. I always liked this poem by Rudyard Kipling and think of it often when facing challenges in life.

If—
BY RUDYARD KIPLING

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 3):
learninrandallcat85Kralicek

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » May 8th, 2022, 10:48 am

Wildwilly73 wrote:
May 7th, 2022, 8:51 pm
Exactly! and what fun is that.