Lose the fish, buy the pond. Rodney Perry.

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
stlcatfan

Re: Lose the fish, buy the pond. Rodney Perry.

Post by stlcatfan » July 11th, 2022, 7:53 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
July 11th, 2022, 12:26 pm
Does anyone know if the rumors about Rodney Perry becoming the 3rd assistant coach is true? What would he contribute? Any recruits tied to him?
I haven't heard anything in a while. I just assumed that ship had sailed.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » July 11th, 2022, 8:39 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
July 11th, 2022, 7:53 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
July 11th, 2022, 12:26 pm
Does anyone know if the rumors about Rodney Perry becoming the 3rd assistant coach is true? What would he contribute? Any recruits tied to him?
I haven't heard anything in a while. I just assumed that ship had sailed.
He is still expected to be the third coach once he is finished with this summers aau season coaching mokan
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post (total 3):
SCKSCatstlcatfanrandallcat85

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 19th, 2023, 9:19 am

Last spring the get Tang crowd was torqued because Perry was not on staff when we lost out on Julian Phillips who went to Tennessee. The snorters were lamenting that Perry could not convince his former player at Link Academy to join us, and therefore should not be an assistant coach.
I stated maybe getting Coach Perry was more important in the long run than landing a one and done 5☆.
Castillo said Coach Perry was very involved in Kansas State’s recruitment of him.
Wow we have an elite staff.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
stlcatfan

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » April 19th, 2023, 10:03 am

SCKSCat wrote:
April 19th, 2023, 9:19 am
Last spring the get Tang crowd was torqued because Perry was not on staff when we lost out on Julian Phillips who went to Tennessee. The snorters were lamenting that Perry could not convince his former player at Link Academy to join us, and therefore should not be an assistant coach.
I stated maybe getting Coach Perry was more important in the long run than landing a one and done 5☆.
Castillo said Coach Perry was very involved in Kansas State’s recruitment of him.
Wow we have an elite staff.
I do not remember any uproar about not signing Phillips. Bigger concern was the fact we were without a key assistant while we waited on Perry. It worked out well for KSU..

I think the bigger story about Perry is he appears to have talent as a coach on offense.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post (total 2):
Kralicekstlcatfan

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » May 10th, 2023, 10:39 pm

JOKKO wrote:
May 5th, 2022, 9:04 am
KSU was way behind in the Julian battle because Tang has only been the HC for 6 weeks. Julian likely didn't even have KSU on his radar at all.

If KSU can land Perry as the final bench coach, it will be a huge get. He assembled a team at Link that made the national finals in it's first year of competitive prep BB. His connections run way beyond Phillips.

This will be the greatest recruiting staff KSU has ever had, but the climate has changed & will take some getting used to for KSU...as well of all of CBB.

If NIL gets regulated (unlikely), the playing field will be completely even. Now...what I think will actually happen is that the NIL money will slow down significantly over the next couple years when they realize their money is just not bringing the ROI that they had hoped. Some schools will still have an advantage, but everyone will be a lot closer so having the rock-star recruiters will get it done.

It's time to quit whining about NIL (no one in this thread) and just be better salespeople! KSU BB can get rolling in the next couple years if everyone stops the "whoa is me" mantra.
Life sometimes goes in circles. Why it is important to treat others well.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
tmcats

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 1st, 2024, 5:17 pm

When Coach Perry became an Assistant Coach we thought he was going to bring Julian Phillips along with him because he coached Phillips at Link Academy in Branson MO.
I started this thread mainly to point out many connections Perry may have with Link, MO Kan AAU, and college programs.

Now it seems like these connections may be bearing fruit.
Terrance Reed Jr. was coached by Perry at prep level and AAU. Reed is considering K State. Dug McDaniel was Reed's roomate last year.

I think it is odd for Colbert to leave, until you think who is staff making room for. One possibility may be Omaha Biliew. I found the following....

“He was like a father to all of us,” Biliew said of Perry. “He led us. All the lessons we learned through practices. He had a lot of teaching points, brought us in and prepared us for what was coming next. Didn’t care what basketball brought to us. He wanted us to be great people at the end of the day.”
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 2):
stlcatfankatlander

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 1st, 2024, 5:32 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
April 1st, 2024, 5:17 pm
When Coach Perry became an Assistant Coach we thought he was going to bring Julian Phillips along with him because he coached Phillips at Link Academy in Branson MO.
I started this thread mainly to point out many connections Perry may have with Link, MO Kan AAU, and college programs.

Terrance Reed Jr. was coached by Perry at prep level and AAU. Reed is considering K State. Dug McDaniel was Reed's roomate last year.

I think it is odd for Colbert to leave, until you think who is staff making room for. One possibility may be Omaha Biliew. I found the following....

“He was like a father to all of us,” Biliew said of Perry. “He led us. All the lessons we learned through practices. He had a lot of teaching points, brought us in and prepared us for what was coming next. Didn’t care what basketball brought to us. He wanted us to be great people at the end of the day.”
That's awesome! This is what a college coach should be all about. These kids are away from their families and some of them may lack a positive father figure/male role model in their life. What a great staff we have with Coach Tang & Co. Our staff develops the whole person, not just their basketball skills. :thumbsup:
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 1st, 2024, 6:48 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
April 1st, 2024, 5:17 pm

Well we know Reed is at least considering us. Not sure if Bilew is but I’m guessing the connection at least gives us a chance.

But I do think we need to start seeing some fruit from that tree as in a couple years all the kids he was associated with be long past the high school or prep school period.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 3):
randallcat85SCKSCatKralicek