What Is Going On With LaBron?

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: What Is Going On With LaBron?

Post by tmcats » November 29th, 2021, 1:01 pm

what a joke. show me the percent of income comparisons.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Quietstorm5

Post by Quietstorm5 » November 29th, 2021, 1:17 pm

tmcats wrote:
November 29th, 2021, 1:01 pm
I have no idea what percent of income he gives but there have been multiple different agencies and organizations that track donations yearly and James is always in the top 10 of athletes. You can dislike his politics but he has always been a relatively good/generous person. Married to his high school sweetheart, no children except with his wife. never been in any legal trouble. Never involved with any scandals. Honestly aside from Jordan going out of his way to stay apolitical and James being very political, James has been the "better" person over his career.

https://www.sportszion.com/most-charita ... the-world/
https://www.yahoo.com/now/23-athletes-l ... 08428.html
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/crist ... orld-36137

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » November 29th, 2021, 1:30 pm

i'm happy for him. he's a racist.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » November 30th, 2021, 9:53 am

I have had the opportunity to meet and listen to some very interesting people through my so-far life.

one of my favorites is Magic Johnson. Can look at his life and question a few of his choices, but Mr. Johnson is doing a lot of things 'with' his wealth, to improve many communities. Mostly black.

He's investing in businesses. Doing a lot more of the 'hand up' vs 'hand out' stuff.

Do I think he's a saint? no. nor do I care. but I respect and admire 'Magic' for what he is doing and how he is doing it.

I hold out hope for Lebron. Perhaps with more age will come more wisdom. I admire and respect Lebron for helping communities that he sees NEED additional help.

it's neither my place nor my desire to not like Lebron. I remember when I was younger and some of the things I thought/did.

figure in about 20 years I'll look back at 'this time' in my life and shake my head a bit too...
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » November 30th, 2021, 10:50 am

LeBron's support of woke causes is his main unredeeming quality -- plus, his unwavering support of Communist China and it's human rights record. If he really cared about humanity, he's kick China to the curb -- but that's where his $$$ come from. He's a social-cause hypocrite.
These users thanked the author ToledoCat#3 for the post:
Kralicek

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » November 30th, 2021, 11:14 am

All of this angst about James because he made a big shot and did the Cassel celebration that was common by NBA players before the NBA decided it didn't project the right image.
Didn't finger the fans, shout at the fans or do anything other than celebrate a big shot in the wrong way.

I am not a Lebron fan but I expect that's because I like to root for underdogs and he has been too dominant.
hJordan and Lebron have both been generous with their money. Lebron putting money into education for Akron students would seem to be helping them up rather than just giving money. Who can complain about that.

Regarding Lebron not making statements condeming NIke for their stance on China. I take it Jordan is doing that.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » November 30th, 2021, 11:16 am

tmcats wrote:
November 29th, 2021, 1:01 pm
Well Jordan has 2 billion dollars. I don't know what his income is now but expect it isn't too bad.
And both Jordan and James have been philanthropic with their money. James seems to be a little more actively involved but I don't know that and every person is different in how they handle giving money to charity.
I don't consider Warren Buffet that active compared to Gates but at the end of the day, they will both give most of their money to charity.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » November 30th, 2021, 1:00 pm

This summer shortly after the Olympics were over the different NBA teams were playing in a summer league in Las Vegas where rookies and marginal NBA players get a chance to play and show their basketball skills. Anyway while watching their respective teams play Kevin Durant ran into Dean Wade in the hallway and struck up a conversation. Kevin asked Dean what his favorite “project” was. Dean said he supported the wounded warrior project and Kevin got his checkbook out and wrote him a check for 25,000$! He told Dean he wanted to give it to him in particular because he respected Dean’s guarding skills against him more so than anybody in the NBA. He got no credit for the money. Dean did. I’ll take Kevin Durant’s character and charitable giving over LeBron any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
These users thanked the author Puffdad for the post (total 2):
tmcatsKralicek

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » November 30th, 2021, 6:22 pm

Thanks for sharing that tale Puff. I wonder a lot what these guys who are making tens of millions of dollars every 6 months do with it. How the heck
can you spend it? I'd like to think that a lot of it is quietly doing to good causes without a lot of public fanfare and this story gives me a little hope (but only a little!) that some of it is.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » November 30th, 2021, 6:36 pm

Most of them are pretty decent guys. Unfortunately the news gives too much time to the ones who are not necessarily so.