Open Scrimmage

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
xtrawildcat

Open Scrimmage

Post by xtrawildcat » October 17th, 2021, 9:54 am

My notes on the open scrimmage:

Nowell. Has a floater that he hit a few times today and also missed a few times. Good court vision and was making some nice kick out passes after driving into the paint. He has no problem getting anywhere on the court off the dribble. Defense wasn't as disruptive today but seemed solid. Needs to cut down turnovers trying to make hard passes.

Smith Was bringing the ball up but I didn't see him create offense off the dribble. Made some outside shots. At least one nice drive and finish at the rim. Defense was solid but not spectacular.

Massoud. Made a number of threes. I'm sure he missed some but I don't remember them. Drove to the lane and made a very nice move to get an open two that he made. Logan was guarding him during this scrimmage and was overmatched
Grabbed a rebound or two but I didn't see enough to know if that will be a weakness or strength or somewhere in between.

McGuirl Was getting to the lane and finishing or passing for an assist pretty much at will. But I know some of that was against Max so Mike wasn't going against Miguel or the best defenders. Looked about like last year except he didn't turn it over and made nearly all his shots plus some nice assists. Had a day.

Miguel. Was good handling the ball at lead guard and able to create. Able to get to the rim and had a couple of nice finishes. Also stopped and pulled up for a couple of 12 foot jumpers. Took at least a couple threes but I don't remember him making one. Had some nice assists but also a couple turnovers from trying to make a hard assist when simple would have worked. Just like Nowell, needs to cut out those type of tovs.

Landers. Had two or three good looks from three in the first scrimmage but missed them. Nice looking shot so I expect he normally makes a decent percentage of those or the coaches wouldn't let him take them. Otherwise, he looked like a freshman who got schooled.

Max. If he plays like he did today on a consistent basis, he'll get some solid minutes this year.
Was about one for three from beyond the arc. Had a straight line drive or two. Scored some off his defense and others defense. Made some nice passes. Grabbed some rebounds. Didn't turn the ball over. Defense was OK at times and lacking at other times as he couldn't stay in front of McGuirl. But did do a good job of staying in front of Luke. As mentioned, jumped some passing lanes for steals. Looked like he got tired after the first 8 minutes.
His play was a nice surprise and better than I expected.

Luke. Solid on offense and defense but not spectacular. Made a couple of threes and air balled one. I didn't watch his defense. Got out on a break late in the session and did a one handed dunk.

Bradford and Eze. Both battled and looked about like last year. Eze got a couple of lob dunks and overall seemed to get the better end of it today.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » October 17th, 2021, 1:20 pm

A play by Max in the open scrimmage:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1449532419971993605

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » October 18th, 2021, 9:55 am

xtra, thanks for the in-depth report. how did pack look?
Why is there something rather than nothing?

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » October 18th, 2021, 10:14 am

tmcats wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 9:55 am

Pack is coming off a hip pointer, so he did not play in the scrimmage. He did participate in some of the drills. Carlton also did not play in the scrimmage as he is working his way into shape from back surgery.
These users thanked the author IStillLikeHarv for the post:
tmcats

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » October 18th, 2021, 5:45 pm

tmcats wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 9:55 am
Thanks for the reply. I was starting to think this site was no longer interested in BB. I know you are from the updates you provide but I am starting to think you are one of the few.

Hope that Learnin reengages.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » October 18th, 2021, 5:47 pm

Also,
In a normal year, there would be a lot of hype developing on what Max showed in that scrimmage. IE, the link I posted of his steal and dunk was far from the only positive play he made in that scrimmage.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post:
randallcat85

INTERSTATEDAD

Post by INTERSTATEDAD » October 18th, 2021, 11:34 pm

I follow from a distance. Actually looking forward to season. however, it has gotten to a point that the only thing that is going to generate excitement is extended winning. Even that will be met with sarcasm with some. let's enjoy what the season brings and let the "chips fall where they may".
These users thanked the author INTERSTATEDAD for the post:
IStillLikeHarv

wazucat

Post by wazucat » October 21st, 2021, 12:25 pm

LOL "extended winning" , yeah that's way over rated let's celebrate the process.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » October 21st, 2021, 1:09 pm

I don't think winning will be greeted with anything but enthusiasm but that's just me.
These users thanked the author gdgjr78 for the post (total 2):
IStillLikeHarvxtrawildcat
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » October 21st, 2021, 4:57 pm

An item Weber mentioned at Big 12 media days. McGuirl was 13 for 17 at Saturdays scrimmage.