Open Scrimmage

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Highway26north

Re: Open Scrimmage

Post by Highway26north » October 22nd, 2021, 9:07 am

Weber quoted that Mark Smith has been the best player on the team? If that's true, and if it holds, the season could get pretty interesting.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » October 22nd, 2021, 9:08 am

Weber quoted that Mark Smith has been the best player on the team? If that's true, and if it holds, the season could get pretty interesting.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » October 22nd, 2021, 10:34 am

Highway26north wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 9:08 am
I hope this is just Weber speaking well about his new transfer. Smith could be a nice piece this year but if he is the best player on the team then Ksu isn't taking a leap forward regarding success.
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Post by ksustars754 » October 22nd, 2021, 11:09 am

Thanks for the full breakdown xtra. I was there for about 10-15 minutes in between tailgating.

My untrained eye:

Nowell - will lead the team in scoring in certain games. His quickness is real.

Massoud - very smooth. Just looks like a real bball player. Coordinated, etc. He had a sick quick cross pull up 18 footer that barely hit the rim or net.

Smith - wasnt super aggressive and may have been designed.

I left in anger as we again couldn’t complete an entry pass into Bradford. That drives me absolutely insane.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » October 22nd, 2021, 11:11 am

gdgjr78 wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 10:34 am
Highway26north wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 9:08 am
I hope this is just Weber speaking well about his new transfer. Smith could be a nice piece this year but if he is the best player on the team then Ksu isn't taking a leap forward regarding success.

Mark is a bit of a tricky player to judge. When he signed with Brad to play at Illinois he was highly recruited (including MSU, Duke, and UK) as a consensus top 100 player and Illinois Mr. Basketball. Things didn't work out well at all that season (for the team, not just Mark), and Mark transferred to Mizzou. In his sophomore season at Mizzou, Mark played only 19 games due to injury, but he shot 45% from three (49 of 109) making him one of the best outside shooters in the country that season. His 3-point average in three years at Mizzou was 37.5%.

For various reasons Mark has never quite "put it all together" in college the way he did in high school, but he has shown extended flashes of excellent talent. I am expecting him to be at least a solid contributor based on his excellent career outside shooting at Mizzou, but it would not be totally shocking for Mark to have a very special season. He has the raw talent, but can he reach his potential? Fingers crossed.
These users thanked the author IStillLikeHarv for the post:
stlcatfan

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » October 22nd, 2021, 11:28 am

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 11:11 am
gdgjr78 wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 10:34 am

Mark is a bit of a tricky player to judge. When he signed with Brad to play at Illinois he was highly recruited (including MSU, Duke, and UK) as a consensus top 100 player and Illinois Mr. Basketball. Things didn't work out well at all that season (for the team, not just Mark), and Mark transferred to Mizzou. In his sophomore season at Mizzou, Mark played only 19 games due to injury, but he shot 45% from three (49 of 109) making him one of the best outside shooters in the country that season. His 3-point average in three years at Mizzou was 37.5%.

For various reasons Mark has never quite "put it all together" in college the way he did in high school, but he has shown extended flashes of excellent talent. I am expecting him to be at least a solid contributor based on his excellent career outside shooting at Mizzou, but it would not be totally shocking for Mark to have a very special season. He has the raw talent, but can he reach his potential? Fingers crossed.
Which player is Ksu getting? The guy who shot 45% from 3 his sophomore season or 31% last year? At this point at the end of his career he is what he is. Nice player that can be a nice contributor but expecting him to be more than that is not based in reality imo.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » October 22nd, 2021, 12:55 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 11:28 am

Which player is Ksu getting? The guy who shot 45% from 3 his sophomore season or 31% last year? At this point at the end of his career he is what he is. Nice player that can be a nice contributor but expecting him to be more than that is not based in reality imo.

You never know how a player is going to do in a given year, but the 31.5% last (Covid) season is the outlier in his three years at Mizzou. The likelihood is that he will shoot closer to his Mizzou average of 37.5% than either his high of 45% or his low of 31.5%.

We are not talking about a 40-year old pitcher with a dead arm, so there is no reason to assume he is wearing out.

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » October 22nd, 2021, 1:53 pm

IStillLikeHarv wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 12:55 pm
gdgjr78 wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 11:28 am

You never know how a player is going to do in a given year, but the 31.5% last (Covid) season is the outlier in his three years at Mizzou. The likelihood is that he will shoot closer to his Mizzou average of 37.5% than either his high of 45% or his low of 31.5%.

We are not talking about a 40-year old pitcher with a dead arm, so there is no reason to assume he is wearing out.
Oh he won't wear out but his 3pt fg% has declined every year at Mizzou from that high of 45% so perhaps that is the outlier 🤷‍♂️. I tend to believe he is closer to the player he was last year as opposed to the one 4 years ago. I'm simply saying I don't believe he is the best or most complete player on this team. Can he be a nice contributor and hit some key outside shots this year? Certainly

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » October 22nd, 2021, 3:02 pm

gdgjr78 wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 1:53 pm
IStillLikeHarv wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 12:55 pm

Oh he won't wear out but his 3pt fg% has declined every year at Mizzou from that high of 45% so perhaps that is the outlier 🤷‍♂️. I tend to believe he is closer to the player he was last year as opposed to the one 4 years ago. I'm simply saying I don't believe he is the best or most complete player on this team. Can he be a nice contributor and hit some key outside shots this year? Certainly
Smith shot 37% from three as a junior on 6 attempts per game. That was from the new line and I expect that is his normal from that distance.

I have seen him twice now and I think he will be a solid Big 12 player who doesn't make mistakes or force offense.
We need him to rebound to help replace some of what we lost with the Gordons leaving. Weber said they are pushing him to rebound and he has been one of the best rebounders in practice, but that may be faint praise because this team does not have an outstanding rebounder.

I guess I expect him to be solid but I don't see him being our best player. And he doesn't need to be. Solid will work if he makes a good percentage of open threes, plays solid defense and doesn't turn it over.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » October 22nd, 2021, 3:08 pm

ksustars754 wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 11:09 am
Thanks for the full breakdown xtra. I was there for about 10-15 minutes in between tailgating.

My untrained eye:

Nowell - will lead the team in scoring in certain games. His quickness is real.

Massoud - very smooth. Just looks like a real bball player. Coordinated, etc. He had a sick quick cross pull up 18 footer that barely hit the rim or net.

Smith - wasnt super aggressive and may have been designed.

I left in anger as we again couldn’t complete an entry pass into Bradford. That drives me absolutely insane.
The post entry passes were really poor that entire scrimmage with the exception of passes from McGuirl and Nowell. Their post passes were positives although McGuirls came off driving action or pick and roll and weren't true entry passes.
I am concerned about turnovers I saw due to bad passes but not overly concerned as it was still early in the six weeks of practice. Players are still figuring out where other players will be in the offense. At least thats what I hope.