Starters

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Gorhoops

Re: Starters

Post by Gorhoops » June 27th, 2021, 12:06 pm

I believe it was CBS Sports or something that I just read that had a list of the top 75 transfers in college hoops, at least according to that list. None of the three KSU guys made the top 75, whereas Texas had 4, TCU had a couple, KU had two, etc.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » June 27th, 2021, 11:09 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
June 27th, 2021, 12:06 pm
I believe it was CBS Sports or something that I just read that had a list of the top 75 transfers in college hoops, at least according to that list. None of the three KSU guys made the top 75, whereas Texas had 4, TCU had a couple, KU had two, etc.
I think all of those schools lost a lot due to both graduations and early departures. KU and UT are always able to bring in highly touted recruits. The more surprising aspect of this is that they needed to bring in transfers. They normally have a lot returning and can bring in enough top 50 freshmen to give them elite talent. Not sure of TCU's situation but it sounds like a good cycle for them. Our guys weren't highly touted but are solid players who should provide instant help.

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » June 28th, 2021, 4:54 am

I don;t think the media has the competence to do an evaluation like that 75 players deep. Top 10 maybe; top 75 no. It's petty clear tho that we've entered a new era when it comes to transfers, and I fear it's just one more opportunity tor the deck to be stacked in favor of the darlings.
These users thanked the author Highway26north for the post (total 3):
stlcatfanPurpleOnWhitetmcats

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » June 28th, 2021, 9:02 am

Highway26north wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 4:54 am
I don;t think the media has the competence to do an evaluation like that 75 players deep. Top 10 maybe; top 75 no. It's petty clear tho that we've entered a new era when it comes to transfers, and I fear it's just one more opportunity tor the deck to be stacked in favor of the darlings.

You are absolutely right here, especially if you read through the little blurbs about each kid. The reasoning they were using for their ranking was typical recruiting biases, etc. Some of the kids they had ranked were kids that were highly ranked out of high school but did nothing at their previous school. I think it was one of the kids going to Texas maybe, he was a top 50 recruit but went to a blue blood, don't remember which, and he barely played. But of course he is now going to Texas so he will be great. You also have kids like the UMKC kid who averaged 17ppg that is going to Florida. He was ranked like 26th. So is he better than Mark Smith?? Hard to say.

The top 10-20 guys, sure. Pretty easy to rate the Martin kid going to KU pretty high as he was 1st Team All PAC 12. But from there, doesn't mean much.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » June 28th, 2021, 9:44 am

Gorhoops wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 9:02 am
Highway26north wrote:

You are absolutely right here, especially if you read through the little blurbs about each kid. The reasoning they were using for their ranking was typical recruiting biases, etc. Some of the kids they had ranked were kids that were highly ranked out of high school but did nothing at their previous school. I think it was one of the kids going to Texas maybe, he was a top 50 recruit but went to a blue blood, don't remember which, and he barely played. But of course he is now going to Texas so he will be great. You also have kids like the UMKC kid who averaged 17ppg that is going to Florida. He was ranked like 26th. So is he better than Mark Smith?? Hard to say.

The top 10-20 guys, sure. Pretty easy to rate the Martin kid going to KU pretty high as he was 1st Team All PAC 12. But from there, doesn't mean much.
I agree. And hard to tell how the lower level guys who put up big numbers will do but the article gave some pretty high marks for some of those guys. While we have Nowell who was the point guard who average 17 a game on a team that won the conference. And led the league in three point percentage and makes while having an advance stat of 33% of other players points coming from his assists while he was on the floor. (TOV % by Nowell is a concern and has to be cleaned up.) But the point is nobody can be sure how Nowell's game will translate to a different and higher level team just like nobody knows on some of those top 75.

Bottom line is we picked up three solid experienced guys who fill needs we had and so far Weber appears to believe they are better than he expected. Next season, we all get to judge both our transfers and other Big 12 transfers. Should be fun.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 28th, 2021, 10:26 am

Highway26north wrote:

you should have ended your post after the word "evaluation." :mrgreen:
Why is there something rather than nothing?