Starters

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Re: Starters

Post by wild@nite » June 15th, 2021, 11:53 am

xtrawildcat wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 9:25 am
I rewatched parts of the last WVU, game last night. In that game Selton was both disruptive and dominant on defense. Both stopping dribble penetration, active hands getting steals. Part way through Fran stated Selton would be one of the best defenders in the Big 12.

We would have been right in that game even with Pack not playing if D Gordon had not played one of the worst games of his two year KSU career.
No doubt Mark Smith will be a much steadier player for us next year.
Based on? Mark averaged 9.7pts/3.2reb/1.0 assists and Dujuan averaged 9.1pts/5.5reb/1.4 assists. Had it not been for Smith scoring 69 points in his last 4 games, the ppg would have been dang near identical. Dujuan did turn it over a bit more, but he was also a much better rebounder and had more assists. Guess I'll have to see the proof. I do think he is capable of scoring more than Dujuan, but "much stradier", we shall see. He wasn't surgeon steady for Mizzou last year.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » June 15th, 2021, 12:14 pm

wild@nite wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 11:53 am
xtrawildcat wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 9:25 am
I rewatched parts of the last WVU, game last night. In that game Selton was both disruptive and dominant on defense. Both stopping dribble penetration, active hands getting steals. Part way through Fran stated Selton would be one of the best defenders in the Big 12.

We would have been right in that game even with Pack not playing if D Gordon had not played one of the worst games of his two year KSU career.
No doubt Mark Smith will be a much steadier player for us next year.
Based on? Mark averaged 9.7pts/3.2reb/1.0 assists and Dujuan averaged 9.1pts/5.5reb/1.4 assists. Had it not been for Smith scoring 69 points in his last 4 games, the ppg would have been dang near identical. Dujuan did turn it over a bit more, but he was also a much better rebounder and had more assists. Guess I'll have to see the proof. I do think he is capable of scoring more than Dujuan, but "much stradier", we shall see. He wasn't surgeon steady for Mizzou last year.
By steady, I was referring to fewer up and down games. Less forcing offense. IE driving in against a double teamBetter shooting. Rebounding may not be as good but I didn't watch enough of Missouri to know what Cuonzo was asking Mark Smith to do on the boards.

And Dejuan was actually our worst defender last year. Couldn't stay in front of a guard on the ball. Out of place way too many times. I don't know but I hope defense is where we see the biggest upgrade in Smith vs Dejuan.

And if Smith doesn't play any better winning type basketball next year than Dejuan did this year, he should not get much playing time.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » June 15th, 2021, 12:18 pm

the downside to the d'gordon for mark smith trade was years of play. weber obviously didn't want to lose dujuan. but it happened. so, weber and his good buddy, counzo martin, arranged a trade of sorts.

if k-state has a great year, it will be in part because of a big contribution from mark smith. in this day and age, programs have to deal with the cards dealt which are many times out of their control. i'm glad smith is here.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

JOKKO

Post by JOKKO » June 15th, 2021, 12:49 pm

Definitely happy Smith is at KSU, but to say there is no doubt that he will be steadier is a stretch.

I hope Smith crushes it this year and goes on to make millions playing basketball, but I kind of see the "trade" as a neutral exchange. From my view of both, DaJuan is definitely more athletic, but Smith is a better shooter. KSU needs shooters in the worst way, so I do like that part of the trade.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » June 15th, 2021, 2:54 pm

JOKKO wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 12:49 pm
Definitely happy Smith is at KSU, but to say there is no doubt that he will be steadier is a stretch.

I hope Smith crushes it this year and goes on to make millions playing basketball, but I kind of see the "trade" as a neutral exchange. From my view of both, DaJuan is definitely more athletic, but Smith is a better shooter. KSU needs shooters in the worst way, so I do like that part of the trade.
IMO, Rudi Williams was a bigger loss than Dejuan Gordon and we were playing better basketball with Rudi on the floor in place of Dejuan over the last few games of the season. And I make that comment after recenty rewatching the games against WVU, TCU and Baylor.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » June 15th, 2021, 3:37 pm

I have no idea who will start or how many minutes guys will play, but one thing I have learned over many years of coaching is you can never have too many. You might be thinking before the season that it will be tough to get guys minutes and keep everyone happy and then boom, here comes an injury or a guy goes brain dead or whatever and the next thing you know, that team you thought was full of depth is now more thin than you thought was possible.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post (total 2):
Quietstorm5stlcatfan

gdgjr78

Pick 'Em

Post by gdgjr78 » June 15th, 2021, 4:00 pm

There are going to be unhappy guys and there will be more transfers at the end of next year. Weber needs to just play whoever gives them the best chance to win and if someone doesn't like it tough.
These users thanked the author gdgjr78 for the post:
IStillLikeHarv
"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » June 15th, 2021, 5:01 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 3:37 pm
I have no idea who will start or how many minutes guys will play, but one thing I have learned over many years of coaching is you can never have too many. You might be thinking before the season that it will be tough to get guys minutes and keep everyone happy and then boom, here comes an injury or a guy goes brain dead or whatever and the next thing you know, that team you thought was full of depth is now more thin than you thought was possible.
Just like clock work every year. About this time, how will we get deserving players floor time.

Mid season. Every guy capable of contributing at a high level seems to get all the minutes they deserve.

However, this year may be an exception as we have 14 players on scholarship and all of them have some potential. Competition in practice this year should be a lot different than the last couple of years. Guys like Linguard, Seryee, Kabsuke and the two freshman are going to have to bring it big time in practice to earn any minutes. The three transfers are going to be busting it in practice to earn their time. Even guys like Monte who will have to show it in practice.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » June 15th, 2021, 6:29 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
June 15th, 2021, 3:37 pm
Very true on you can’t have too many over a whole season! The only exception I can remember to that was coaching a girls all star basketball team at the Miss basketball showcase in Kearney Nebraska about fifteen years ago. A recruiter put 11 girls on one team who all had college scholarships and were all first team all staters. What a joke. Of course they all thought they were God’s gift to basketball and of course the parents thought even more so!! 😂 One of them I did enjoy watching in the women’s final four four years later though! But if that team who have been together for one full season it would have easily sorted itself out.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » June 25th, 2021, 10:41 pm

tmcats wrote:
June 11th, 2021, 12:01 pm
i'd guess the wake transfer, ismael massoud, at the four spot.
Starting to look like you may be right about Massoud. He has been the biggest positive surprise of the transfers.