other schools' coaching news and stuff ...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
xtrawildcat

Re: other schools' coaching news and stuff ...

Post by xtrawildcat » March 17th, 2024, 12:21 pm

Iow State is really physical and commits some fouls by getting their body on opponents in double teams.
But
IMO they are doing two things better than other teams.
1. They stay in front of their man and do not get beat one on one. So other teams have to ball screen to get an opening. Then they set hard traps with great help defense by the other three defenders.

2. They are very good at anticipating the next pass after the first pass. For example, when a team passes to the weak side out of a double team, that weak side defender is moving in anticipation of that pass. That gets them there on time and eliminates open threes and having to make hard out of control close outs.

We exploited that in Manhattan but too many tovs to exploit it in KC. But Houston was completely lost trying to find a way to beat it.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 17th, 2024, 1:03 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
March 17th, 2024, 8:15 am
bhoovy wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 10:18 pm

I’m not sure anyone got full of themselves. It’s how basketball goes. When you have games you can’t put the ball in the hoop you’re going to lose. Houston was brutal shooting. Baylor was brutal shooting. North Carolina was brutal shooting. I watched a little of the MAAC with Fairfield and St Peters. Fairfield is supposed to be one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the country and couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn. It happens.
Houston's offense was exposed. They could not get good shots. And they were unable to create shots outside of their offense.
Some times team miss open shots but that was not Houston's problem.

nothing was exposed about houston except injuries. isu is a good not great team. and in kc they were playing before a home crowd worth at least ten points. the outcome was not surprising, just the differential. when sampson put his starter(s) on the bench after halftime in prep for the dance, i knew it was over. houston will go deeper than isu.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
bhoovy
Why is there something rather than nothing?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 17th, 2024, 8:14 pm

Conversation
Ohio State Hoops 🌰
@OhioStateHoops
🌰 Born a Buckeye, Stays a Buckeye

Senior Advisor for Intercollegiate Athletics Ross Bjork today announced the hiring of
@JakeDiebler
as head coach of the Ohio State men’s basketball program.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Snyder

Post by Snyder » March 21st, 2024, 2:26 pm

Updates, Rodney Perry is not a candidate at Missouri State, much to the chagrin of a lot of Mo State diehards (I'm in Springfield on business as we speak)
SMU just fired their coach and they are looking for a name coach with big time personality as they head into the ACC
These users thanked the author Snyder for the post:
tmcats

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 21st, 2024, 2:35 pm

Snyder wrote:
March 21st, 2024, 2:26 pm
Updates, Rodney Perry is not a candidate at Missouri State, much to the chagrin of a lot of Mo State diehards (I'm in Springfield on business as we speak)
SMU just fired their coach and they are looking for a name coach with big time personality as they head into the ACC
Is Coach Tang on SMU's candidate list? I hope not.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
Snyder
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

Snyder

Post by Snyder » March 23rd, 2024, 3:39 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
March 21st, 2024, 2:35 pm
Snyder wrote:
March 21st, 2024, 2:26 pm
Musselman seems to be the main target. Can’t imagine SMU is better job than Arkansas
These users thanked the author Snyder for the post:
stlcatfan

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » March 23rd, 2024, 7:07 pm

Snyder wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 3:39 pm
stlcatfan wrote:
March 21st, 2024, 2:35 pm

Musselman seems to be the main target. Can’t imagine SMU is better job than Arkansas
Hog farmers and Walmart executives don't have as deep of pockets as rich Texas oil Tycoons have. The running porkers have lost their appeal.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
Snyder

Ksuminnesotacat

Post by Ksuminnesotacat » March 23rd, 2024, 7:24 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 7:07 pm
Snyder wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 3:39 pm

Hog farmers and Walmart executives don't have as deep of pockets as rich Texas oil Tycoons have. The running porkers have lost their appeal.
Ya wanna bet….

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » March 23rd, 2024, 10:11 pm

Wally World execs and owners have as deep a pockets as any if they decide to "invest" in Arky sports.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 23rd, 2024, 10:19 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 10:11 pm
Wally World execs and owners have as deep a pockets as any if they decide to "invest" in Arky sports.
Maybe. But the fact that SMU went to their 10 biggest donors and got them to pony up (no pun intended) $1 billion for them to make the move to the ACC, since they agreed to the terms of not taking any tv revenue for like 8 or 9 years to be a part of the ACC, which probably won’t be around in a few years. So if they’re willing to put up that kind of money to be a part of a more superior conference, I’m sure they’ll plop down more to try and be as competitive in that new conference as they can be. And going after a higher profile coach would likely be on the agenda. Along with big NIL $$ to buy the best players they can.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
stlcatfan