other schools' coaching news and stuff ...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: other schools' coaching news and stuff ...

Post by tmcats » March 16th, 2023, 7:21 pm

txt has been a stepping stone program, both ways. that may change in the future.
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

Snyder

Post by Snyder » March 18th, 2023, 1:18 pm

Something up with Wichita job as my guy in Wichita said several name coaches have said no thanks. Turgeon was mentioned, Anderson was mentioned and DeVries from Drake. Is there something toxic? Marshall hangover?

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » March 18th, 2023, 1:26 pm

Koch hires the coach essentially. You got to please the money man.

Snyder

Post by Snyder » March 18th, 2023, 1:53 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
March 18th, 2023, 1:26 pm
Koch hires the coach essentially. You got to please the money man.
If that's the case, I can see why some would pass. Veteran coaches tend to do things their own way.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » March 18th, 2023, 3:37 pm

Its like every other school. Everybody is happy if you win.

Problem with WSU is its a commuter school. Not a very appealing campus.

Very hard to retain players in the transfer era if they are good. Really good players like Grant Sherfield and Ricky Council played for OU and Arkansas this year. Will take a really good coach to retain players.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 18th, 2023, 4:18 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
March 18th, 2023, 3:37 pm
Its like every other school. Everybody is happy if you win.

Problem with WSU is its a commuter school. Not a very appealing campus.

Very hard to retain players in the transfer era if they are good. Really good players like Grant Sherfield and Ricky Council played for OU and Arkansas this year. Will take a really good coach to retain players.
Several former shockers playing in the ncaa tournament or were playing.
Stevenson with WVU
Dennis with A&M
Burton with Pittsburgh
Council with Arkansas
Sherfield with Nevada

Udeze with New Mexico was in NIT

The Marshall incident really set the program back to before he got there. WSU was becoming the Gonzaga of the Midwest. And while the move to the AAC initially gave them a boost, with the departures of Houston, Cincinnati and Central Florida, its now not a whole lot better than the MVC, and makes the extra travel even less appealing.

Will take a special person to get them back to where they were 4 years ago. Don’t see them likely getting an established name but more likely have to hit the home run with an up and comer assistant.

They just got a new AD starting this season who came from Murray St. I wouldn’t be surprised if he called Prohm, but that call may go to voice mail and deleted if so.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanWildcatEngineer

kstater2000

Post by kstater2000 » March 18th, 2023, 4:31 pm

The new AD at WSU grew up in MHK. I have known Saal since 1st grade at Marlatt Elementary. He is a very smart person, and will make a good hire. Has KT Turner been mentioned as a possible coaching candidate?
"That's what I do. I drink, and I know things."
- Tyrion Lannister 'GOT'

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » March 18th, 2023, 5:04 pm

kstater2000 wrote:
March 18th, 2023, 4:31 pm
The new AD at WSU grew up in MHK. I have known Saal since 1st grade at Marlatt Elementary. He is a very smart person, and will make a good hire. Has KT Turner been mentioned as a possible coaching candidate?
Turner accepted UT Arlington

Highway26north

Post by Highway26north » March 18th, 2023, 8:43 pm

Van Vleet was a big part of Wichita's most successful era and my understanding is that he was far far below the radar academically for a large %
of programs. As I've said a while back (quite a while back actually). i'm from the Rockford area and saw him play several times in HS--he was
amazing. Nowell on steroids.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 18th, 2023, 8:45 pm

kstater2000 wrote:
March 18th, 2023, 4:31 pm
He has a tough job ahead of him. The shockers stuck with the assistant named as interim after Marshall was let go and I’m afraid may have also gotten a bit caught up in social bull with the hire. I think Brown is probably a good man, just never appeared to really be a head coach IMO. He never seemed to truly have control of the team. And with deciding to stay with him because of the team Marshall put together, it cost them a opportunity at a couple former Marshall assistants in Forbes and Jans. No shot at either one now.

I’ve read a little that one of the wishlist hopefuls is Richey with Furman. I think he’d be a great hire if they could get him, but not sure if wsu is all that much better than Furman at this point and I would suspect he’ll have bigger offers as well.