recruiting gurus, i'd enjoy reading your thoughts about this class ...

The defending Big XII Champions
AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Re: recruiting gurus, i'd enjoy reading your thoughts about this class ...

Post by AJcat7755 » February 7th, 2020, 3:23 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 6:12 pm
so, isu and nebraska got two of the top kansas linemen?
Corcoran (NU), Richman (Iowa), Conn (NU), Pauls (ISU) could be easily argued as 4 of the top 5 lineman with Warner (KSU) in there as well. Not to often that the state of KS puts out that many P5 lineman, and Turner is one of the best in a while.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 7th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Looked like a get the best you can, get some depth and yes fill some holes for next year. I don't think we'll contend for the title but we shouldn't be awful with what we have returning either. Hopefully we've turned the corner on the transition and will be more in tune with Klieman's goals next year.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » February 10th, 2020, 9:55 am

hilltopwildcat wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 5:12 pm
Looked like a get the best you can, get some depth and yes fill some holes for next year. I don't think we'll contend for the title but we shouldn't be awful with what we have returning either. Hopefully we've turned the corner on the transition and will be more in tune with Klieman's goals next year.

I got to looking at next years defense and was pretty shocked how much of a senior laden, and upper-class laden defense it will be. Obviously we don't know who will necessarily start at every position, but if you go by just past playing time, it would probably look something like

DE - Hubert and Massie - 4th year junior and 5th year senior.
DT - Wiley will start for sure, has played a lot. Huggins has played some, but may be one of the juco's. Either way, it is probably a senior and a junior.
LB - Sullivan and Hughes - both 5th year seniors, backed up by Green and another senior Fletcher
Slot - McPherson - 5th year senior
CB - Parker and Neil - Both 5th year seniors
S - Jones and probably Alexander

Obviously there are some younger guys that will battle for playing time like Duke, Palo Mao, Wil Jones, etc.

But crazy that next years defense will be a very veteran group.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 10th, 2020, 11:10 am

ya, the defense should be a real strength next fall. watched dvr of the tcu game last night. wyatt hubert was outstanding at the close. he's going to be a monster. but if so, he'll leave after his junior year. that's the downside, i guess.

i've said all along that if a.j. had been at corner navy would never have completed that game-closing pass. he may be the best corner in the league this fall.

and to my eye, k-state's linebackers (hughes, green, sullivan, fletcher) have to be one of the stronger groups in the conference unless my mind has gone completely grape.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 10th, 2020, 11:56 am

tmcats wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 11:10 am
ya, the defense should be a real strength next fall. watched dvr of the tcu game last night. wyatt hubert was outstanding at the close. he's going to be a monster. but if so, he'll leave after his junior year. that's the downside, i guess.

i've said all along that if a.j. had been at corner navy would never have completed that game-closing pass. he may be the best corner in the league this fall.

and to my eye, k-state's linebackers (hughes, green, sullivan, fletcher) have to be one of the stronger groups in the conference unless my mind has gone completely grape.
I agree on the LB. In 2019, that unit was depleted due to injuries and lack of experience. Hughes was lost before the season. Fletcher spent 1/2 of the season injured. Green had barely played in his career. But going into 2020, it's now going to be a strength if everyone stays healthy.

rSR Hughes was going to be the #1 LB in 2019, but lost because of injury. Prior to that, he played in 17 games as a backup.
rSR Sullivan now has 16 career starts and lead the team in tackles in 2019. Remember, he missed most of 2018 due to injury and got a MRS.
rSO Green is no longer inexperienced, having played in 13 games as a backup. He was very highly touted out of HS
SR Fletcher was able to play in 7 games as backup after returning from injury.

rFR Levi Archer looked like he could have been a quality backup, but was injured for the rest of 2019 after 2 games.
FR DeMarrquese Hayes is coming in as a true freshman. He will likely RS, but will get some valuable experience in 2020. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start in 2021 next to Green.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » February 10th, 2020, 1:22 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 11:56 am
tmcats wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 11:10 am

I agree on the LB. In 2019, that unit was depleted due to injuries and lack of experience. Hughes was lost before the season. Fletcher spent 1/2 of the season injured. Green had barely played in his career. But going into 2020, it's now going to be a strength if everyone stays healthy.

rSR Hughes was going to be the #1 LB in 2019, but lost because of injury. Prior to that, he played in 17 games as a backup.
rSR Sullivan now has 16 career starts and lead the team in tackles in 2019. Remember, he missed most of 2018 due to injury and got a MRS.
rSO Green is no longer inexperienced, having played in 13 games as a backup. He was very highly touted out of HS

rFR Levi Archer looked like he could have been a quality backup, but was injured for the rest of 2019 after 2 games.
FR DeMarrquese Hayes is coming in as a true freshman. He will likely RS, but will get some valuable experience in 2020. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start in 2021 next to Green.

You see Hayes starting in 2021 next to Green? I was thinking it would more likely be Harris starting next to Green, but who knows. Listening to Matt Hall the other day when he met the mid year enrollees, he said Hayes is about 185 and looks much more like a nickel than an every down LB, but not sure what the plan is for him.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » February 10th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 1:22 pm
AJcat7755 wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 11:56 am

You see Hayes starting in 2021 next to Green? I was thinking it would more likely be Harris starting next to Green, but who knows. Listening to Matt Hall the other day when he met the mid year enrollees, he said Hayes is about 185 and looks much more like a nickel than an every down LB, but not sure what the plan is for him.
Forgot about Harris because I was mistakenly only looking at the current roster with Hayes already being enrolled and Harris not. Your probably right, he is a bit bigger and more suited for a 2 LB set that KSU is running. So through Harris up there as another player that will get some valuable experience in his 4 games in 2020.

ArKSU

Post by ArKSU » February 20th, 2020, 3:33 am

Hypeman

Ark, your argument that we should get 2 and 3 star players instead of 4 and 5 is not a good one and the performance of teams that get the top players proves otherwise. That said, Snyder did with lower rates players so CK might be able to as well. But, the talk has been that CK will be getting the 4 and 5 stars kids that Snyder couldn’t. I don’t see that happening.
UNO: Impatience is one of the 7 Deadly Sins (Lust).

Deuxième: If I remember correctly, it took HOFHCBS a number of years to raise KSU to top 25. Let's think about giving HCCK a few years before pride, greed and lust rim out our brains.

C: "If you build it, they will come." Which I believe HCCK is already proving with 2020 class and even more so with 2021 class.
A worried man with a worried mind
People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed