Assistant Coaches That Stay

The defending Big XII Champions
PurpleWildcat

Pick 'Em

Assistant Coaches That Stay

Post by PurpleWildcat » December 4th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Now that we are going to have a new Head Coach, what assistant coaches do all of you want to stay? The big question that I have is, with three guys classified as Offensive Coordinators and two guys as Defensive Coordinators, how would any of their pay structure and titles work if the new coach brought in his own OC or DC? I don't see any of them going to another P5 school with the same title after one year as an OC or DC.

I think if Mo wants to stay and not retire, he will still be here. I would like to have Coleman still here due to his recruiting, but not as the main OC. I think Seiler did a good job and deserves the chance as DC. Klein and Dickey I would love to stay. I really don't know a whole lot about the other coaches. Realistically, I know a new coach might only keep one ore two or maybe even three current Assistant coaches.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » December 4th, 2018, 4:19 pm

I like our OC's as people but you have to evaluate the coaches by their performance, and in terms of OC's, they absolutely underperformed this year, for one reason or another.
Last edited by KsJoey on December 4th, 2018, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 4th, 2018, 4:19 pm

bill allowed so little contact with assistants that it's hard to make a judgment. dickey's outfit was always good. thus, i hope he stays on. and i agree on blake's performance. ck should get out for some seasoning elsewhere. coleman and dawson, i'm not sure. some of the older guys should retire with bill. and the new coach does not need drama; sean snyder will have no problem finding a special teams slot elsewhere as he's very good.
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

blyne3

Post by blyne3 » December 4th, 2018, 4:24 pm

I think a lot of the younger coaches need to go get exposed to other styles, but that may happen here now depending on who the new coach is.

PurpleWildcat

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleWildcat » December 4th, 2018, 4:43 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 4:19 pm
bill allowed so little contact with assistants that it's hard to make a judgment. dickey's outfit was always good. thus, i hope he stays on. and i agree on blake's performance. ck should get out for some seasoning elsewhere. coleman and dawson, i'm not sure. some of the older guys should retire with bill. and the new coach does not need drama; sean snyder will have no problem finding a special teams slot elsewhere as he's very good.
I forgot about Sean. That was quick. :agree: I had seen somewhere on here about him possibly to North Carolina with Coach Mack?

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » December 4th, 2018, 5:15 pm

The new coach is going to want to run his style. So if he is an offensive coach, he will likely want to have his own OC, or if a defensive coach, his own DC. I could see him keeping a position coach from the other side of the ball though.

Norwood is likely gone, he was only around for 1 year after coming over from Tulsa.

Klein has only been coaching for 5 years (2 as GA at KSU, 1 QB at Northern Iowa, 1 QB at KSU, 1 Co-OC at KSU). It may be hard for him to find a OC job at a P5 school. So would he go back to being a QB coach, or get a OC job at a G5 school? I think he would leave because the next coach likely is an offensive coach, and it would be good for Klein to get some more experience.

Coleman has been coaching for 8 years, but only a Co-OC for 1. Highly doubt he would take a step back to WR coach. Unless he is retained, I could see him at a OC at a G5 school.

Seiler has been coaching for 8 years as well, with only 1 year as the Co-DC. His defense has gotten praise this year. If the new coach is an offensive coach, I could see him being retained in a Co-DC format again.

Sean Snyder is probably gone. No need for the drama and connections. He could move to an admin role not directly related to football though.

Assistants farther down the line probably have more of a chance at staying IMO.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » December 5th, 2018, 12:25 am

I'd guess Dickey would stay and maybe Seiler but not as co-DC if it's palatable to him. If it's Litrell I think he brings a lot of new people and probably not all are on his staff at UNT.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » December 5th, 2018, 12:42 am

FYI - Mike Ekeler used to be Litrell's DC at UNT. Don't know if he would bring him in or not, but Mike has been around the block with a bagillion different schools at different levels.
EMAW

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » December 5th, 2018, 1:03 am

PurpleWildcat wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 4:12 pm
Now that we are going to have a new Head Coach, what assistant coaches do all of you want to stay? The big question that I have is, with three guys classified as Offensive Coordinators and two guys as Defensive Coordinators, how would any of their pay structure and titles work if the new coach brought in his own OC or DC? I don't see any of them going to another P5 school with the same title after one year as an OC or DC.

I think if Mo wants to stay and not retire, he will still be here. I would like to have Coleman still here due to his recruiting, but not as the main OC. I think Seiler did a good job and deserves the chance as DC. Klein and Dickey I would love to stay. I really don't know a whole lot about the other coaches. Realistically, I know a new coach might only keep one ore two or maybe even three current Assistant coaches.
All depends on how much influence Bill has.

Sth89
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sth89 » December 5th, 2018, 7:32 am

Snyder has no say in who Littrells assistants will be. Any coach with a sack would tell the AD to sawk it if he demanded another dude pick your staff. I don't care if Bill is considered god by most people.