Seth Littrell is HIGHLY OVERRATED

The defending Big XII Champions
Zoltar

Re: Seth Littrell is HIGHLY OVERRATED

Post by Zoltar » December 4th, 2018, 9:51 am

He is head coach at a place that was abysmal until he got there and he turned the program around. It is an FBS school, Any one that is FBS and has a great record is probably not going to move. Plus, you want them to stay here forever?
Win the dang day!

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » December 4th, 2018, 9:55 am

bhoovy wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 9:48 am
tmcats wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 8:55 am
i've felt all along it would be the ndsu coach if brent said 'no.' k-state could be more 'smash mouth' than before. ;-)

Chris Klieman has won four conference championships and three national championships in his first four years as the head football coach at North Dakota State. He has a 54-6 record at NDSU since 2014 while finishing 7-1 atop the Missouri Valley Football Conference all four years.

https://gobison.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1234&path=football
Well I sincerely hope it’s not Klieman as I envision a similar situation as Bohl at Wyoming. Since going to Wyoming Bohl has been just mediocre with a 4-8, 2-10, 8-6, 8-6, 6-6. The mountain west is a decent conference, but if you can’t keep up with the likes of Boise St, Utah St and Fresno St, how do you expect to compete with OU, UT, OSU and TCU. I know it’s a different coach but he’s coming from the same background and it’s an even bigger jump.
That's the first thing that came to my mind as well. Plus, I would be very worried whether he'd could recruit well enough for us.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » December 4th, 2018, 10:02 am

Has anyone has success at Wyoming since Devaney left in 1961? Not that this is the direction I want to go, but Wyo is where coaches go that have little other options.
Win the dang day!

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » December 4th, 2018, 10:11 am

I also think of Bohl when I here Klieman. No thanks but will support whomever they choose.
Joe Tiller did alright at Wyoming which earned him his gig at Purdue. He was there in 1993 when KSU played them in the bowl game.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » December 4th, 2018, 12:02 pm

Zoltar wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 10:02 am
Has anyone has success at Wyoming since Devaney left in 1961? Not that this is the direction I want to go, but Wyo is where coaches go that have little other options.
Bohl in his 5 years at Wyoming is very similar (28-35) to the previous two coaches who where there 6 and 5 years respectively (30-41 and 27-35)

From 1987 to 1999 they had greater success under 3 other coaches.
Paul Roach 35-15
Joe Tiller 39-30-1
Dana Dimel 23-12

So far the Bohl hire has not proved to elevate Wyoming. This is my concern with hiring Klieman.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 4th, 2018, 12:16 pm

it would be better to look at klieman's record than bohl's. chris took a winning program and made it better. ndsu has been a winning program forever. bohl didn't make it. the bison are like bama to that division.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 4th, 2018, 12:27 pm

University officials hear rumors just like the rest of us.

USAToday: Since even before former Kansas State coach Bill Snyder announced his retirement Sunday, North Texas coach Seth Littrell was reported to be a top candidate to replace Snyder at K-State. Snyder’s official announcement Sunday, plus Littrell’s absence from Monday’s press conference because he’s attending Tuesday’s NFF Annual Awards Dinner in New York City, prompted even more talk of Littrell leaving after three seasons in Denton.

In replace of Littrell, UNT Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker attended the Mean Green’s first press conference of bowl season Monday and was asked about the rumors surrounding his football coach. Baker first joked that he hadn’t seen anything about it but then talked about his relationship with Littrell, who Baker said has an office just down the hall from his. Baker also said that, because of Littrell’s success at UNT, he’ll be on the list of possible candidates for most Power 5 coaching openings.

Littrell was also reportedly a candidate for the Texas Tech opening because of his history with the program, but the Red Raiders hired former Utah State coach Matt Wells. His name has also been mentioned around vacancies at North Carolina, which has been filled since, and Colorado.

“We met two or three times last week, each of those ranging from 30 minutes, to one day we sat there and talked for two hours,” Baker said. “We talk a lot. He very much believes in what this program can be. He’s very happy here. His family’s happy here.”

Littrell was reportedly drawn to UNT because of its proximity to his hometown of Muskogee, Oklahoma, about 220 miles from Denton. Manhattan, Kansas, is about 320 miles from Muskogee.

Since arriving to UNT for his first head coach position in 2016, Littrell has led the Mean Green to three straight bowl games, including the New Mexico Bowl, which his team will play in on Dec. 15 against Utah State. UNT notched a 9-3 record this season after going 9-5 last year.

K-State went 5-7 this season, finishing seventh in the Big 12. Littrell is familiar with the Big 12, having played fullback at Oklahoma, as well as starting his coaching career in the conference with early stops at Kansas and Texas Tech.

A source close to Littrell told UDD on Sunday that as of Thursday, the last time they talked to Littrell about the job, Littrell hadn’t had any communication yet with K-State about the future opening. However, when asked if Littrell had any real interest in leaving UNT for K-State, the source answered, “I don’t think he can turn down a Big 12 offer.”

“The time may come when he gets an offer that he can’t refuse,” Baker said. “When that happens I’m gonna tell him ‘Thank you’ for the contributions he’s made here and that I’m proud for him. But I would be disappointed, and I think he would be disappointed, to think that we’ve spent all this time building a program whose success was hinged on one person. I just don’t believe that’s where we are as a program.”

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » December 4th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Offensive ratings before and after Littrell took over as OC or HC:

2009 - Arizona (pre): 49
2010 - Arizona: 29
2011 - Arizona: 38

2011 - Indiana (pre): 85
2012 - Indiana: 54
2013 - Indiana: 16

2013 - UNC (pre): 35
2014 - UNC: 28
2015 - UNC: 17

2015 - UNT(pre): 128 - Even behind KU
2016 - UNT: 107
2017 - UNT: 62
2018 - UNT: 31 - Ahead of Texas, USC, and K-State

He has improved offenses everywhere he has been. Wouldn't it be nice to have a competitive offense in an offensive orientated league? Even if it goes the style of Tech where they score 50 and lose some games, I would think it would be an improvement to be competitive in games and lose 55-50 then watching a blowout because of no offense, or a boring 14-13 loss.

His offense is not air raid, which the Big 12 is moving away from. It is up tempo, but close to a 50/50 pass run. He doesn't run the QB as a battering ram getting injuries. The NFL is moving towards more offense, so players that want to make the NFL will play for a college that has an offense to put up numbers. In addition, schools like KU and Miles are trying to come up with a defense to stop the air raid, so not having that style, will be ahead of the curve.

Who cares if he leaves for a bigger payday? This argument is tired and worn out. Hardly any coach will stay for long term. If they have ambition, they want to be at the top. Having ambition means they will do everything they can to win at K-State. So if he gets another job, that means he has improved the program for the next hire.

Bowl wins? Are you kidding me? An exhibition game is what we are going to decide to hire a coach on? Bill Snyder was 3-7 in his last 10 bowl games and 1-7 before the last 2 wins.

K-State was 12 points from being 9-3 and Bill Snyder coaches for another year. That is the name of the game. Only 2 teams in the nation have not been down by more then 1 score all year long. Alabama and North Texas. While the negative people will say that is because UNT is keeping games to close, the positive people would say that UNT was in every game, including the losses.

Hard to have a lot of big highlights in the CUSA. Early on, beating Arkansas at Arkansas was a highlight, but they tanked hard.

Texas recruiting is the biggest need for K-State. It is where all the talent is and what needs to be tapped into. SL having that connection is great. What other areas is he supposed to be recruiting? He can keep some members of the current staff if he still wants to tap into KS, but that really isn't a huge market. Are you saying that it's more important to recruit KS then Texas? Nothing against KS kids, and I think K-State should still go after them, but TX has a ton of talent, and it's where the rest of the Big 12 is getting their players from.

Last 4 recruiting classes for UNT (2016-2019):
61 - Texas
8 - Oklahoma
2 - Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana, Florida, Washington
1 - Alabama, Arizona, Kentucky, Arkansas, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Tennessee

Last 4 recruiting classes for K-State:
22 - Kansas
19 - Texas
8 - Georgia
7 - Oklahoma
5 - Missouri
3 - California
2 - Florida, Illinois
1 - Louisiana, Arizona, Iowa, Oregon, South Carolina, Maryland, Nebraska, North Carolina
*keep in mind several out of state players were from out of state JUCOs

Texas is already the #2 place for recruits for K-State, so shouldn't it be good that area is increased? KS and MO kids can still be recruited, just based on K-State being in the location and if you keep an assistant or 2 around with ties (Seiler, Klein, etc).

Does Littrell have concerns? Of course. But every possible candidate will as well. Littrell concerns for me would be if he can be a HC at a P5 level, if he can increase his recruiting to higher level of players, if he can keep some connection to KS with his staff to keep KS recruits, what kind of defense will he have and will it work in the Big 12?
Last edited by AJcat7755 on December 4th, 2018, 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 4th, 2018, 12:41 pm

i'm good with littrell as well. i just want to trust in gene's judgment on this one. and i hope others accept and support his choice. god, it's so important. and i thoroughly agree, hire the best damn candidate available. live in day-tight compartments, for right now.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » December 4th, 2018, 1:48 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 12:16 pm
it would be better to look at klieman's record than bohl's. chris took a winning program and made it better. ndsu has been a winning program forever. bohl didn't make it. the bison are like bama to that division.
Wait, so Bohl didn’t make it? He was HC there for 11 years, the last 3 he was 43-2 with 3 national championships. He left with a team coming back that was the favorite to win it again. No way you can convince me it wouldn’t or couldn’t have had the same success of who he handed it off to. Heck, he might have won it each of the next 4 years instead of just 3 out of 4.