The defending Big XII Champions
stlcatfan

Re: Recruiting Thread

Post by stlcatfan » February 23rd, 2024, 1:44 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 23rd, 2024, 11:18 am
stlcatfan wrote:
February 22nd, 2024, 11:00 pm

That's definitely one of the downsides of the transfer portal and NIL. They can be a depth destroyer for a team. The number two guys on the depth chart often feel they are good enough to start and are tempted to leave their current team with hopes of being a starter at another school right away, rather than waiting their turn to move up. The transfer portal and NIL money make it easier than ever to leave, causing depth issues for the team they leave.
they leave either for money or not seeing a future. lee and savage were clearly for "the bag." savage is the first "that hurts" from our portal, unless you want to make a case for will howard? we'll see on that one. i'm glad lee is gone.

the other losses seem to be for playing time. it will be interesting to see the culling after spring ball here and across the pantheon of college football (and hoops). the process has been a clear net positive for klieman.
The transfer portal opens again (I think) on May 1 for 15 days. Yeah, it will be interesting to see if there are more changes to our roster during that time frame. I'm guessing there will be, but who knows?
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 2):
randallcat85katlander
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » February 23rd, 2024, 2:11 pm

KSUbetcha wrote:
February 23rd, 2024, 1:26 pm
tmcats wrote:
February 23rd, 2024, 11:18 am

they leave either for money or not seeing a future. lee and savage were clearly for "the bag." savage is the first "that hurts" from our portal, unless you want to make a case for will howard? we'll see on that one. i'm glad lee is gone.

the other losses seem to be for playing time. it will be interesting to see the culling after spring ball here and across the pantheon of college football (and hoops). the process has been a clear net positive for klieman.
If he's at DeSmet HS, a private Jesuit Catholic school his family is probably pretty well off. It was pretty dang expensive when my roomate from K-State went there. That was a while ago. Maybe he'll stay for the duration until AJ leaves.
I looked it up. It is $21,000 this year. The Catholic high school my son graduated from isn't far behind at almost $19,000. And I thought it was expensive when he went there. Sheesh! I think tuition is rising faster than the rate of inflation.

Of course, a lot of those expensive private schools offer scholarships for those who want to go there, but can't afford the tuition. In the early 2000s, I taught at a high school which was a rival of DeSmet out in West County (STL's version of Johnson County) and we also offered scholarships to less financially well-off kids. However, I noticed that the kids who were on scholarship also happened to be top-notch soccer players and 6'6 city kids who were very good basketball players. I'm sure that was just a coincidence. :wink:
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 2):
KSUbetcharandallcat85

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 26th, 2024, 11:35 am

fifth consecutive state title. that's like megan mahoney being 5x all-state or perhaps better, idk?

https://twitter.com/whitney_hartman/sta ... 09F-7AixRg
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan
Why is there something rather than nothing?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 26th, 2024, 3:02 pm

looks like one of those who could turn out to be another cooper beebe road-grader.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/foo ... ro-schunke
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » February 26th, 2024, 7:54 pm

Who was the roadgrader, heavyweight wrestler from Topeka who played so well for the Cats during the Snyder era? Loved the way he played.
These users thanked the author ToledoCat#3 for the post:
randallcat85

powercat5000

Post by powercat5000 » February 26th, 2024, 9:45 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
February 26th, 2024, 7:54 pm
Who was the roadgrader, heavyweight wrestler from Topeka who played so well for the Cats during the Snyder era? Loved the way he played.
Will Geary?
Our Freedom Does Not End where Fear Begins

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » February 26th, 2024, 10:08 pm

powercat5000 wrote:
February 26th, 2024, 9:45 pm
ToledoCat#3 wrote:
February 26th, 2024, 7:54 pm
Will Geary?
Geary played defense.

I was thinking Jordan Bedore, heavyweight wrestler and road grader OL. Is that the player Toledo? Bedore was from Goodland though, so maybe not.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post:
randallcat85
EMAW

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 27th, 2024, 10:40 am

will geary will always be a favorite. ole front butt wouldn't offer him anything, so he walked on at k-state and became yet another star from that platform. will's grandfather was furious. the whole family had played at ku.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » February 27th, 2024, 4:47 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 27th, 2024, 10:40 am
will geary will always be a favorite. ole front butt wouldn't offer him anything, so he walked on at k-state and became yet another star from that platform. will's grandfather was furious. the whole family had played at ku.
That guy was as strong as an ox. IIRC, He was bench pressing 425 lbs. as a freshman.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » February 27th, 2024, 9:22 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 26th, 2024, 3:02 pm
looks like one of those who could turn out to be another cooper beebe road-grader.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/foo ... ro-schunke
I love wrestlers on the O or D Lines. There's lots of skills on the wrestling mat that transfers over to the gridiron.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post (total 3):
powercat5000stlcatfanrandallcat85